Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Better headlights?

27K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  1AAuto.com 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Frontier. Because of lousy night vision I try not to drive at night. But occasionally I have to see emergencies at night I had one last night, maybe 11 PM. While driving I noticed I'd forgotten to turn the headlights on. Once they were on I saw it didn't make much difference.

Anyone have a recommendation for better lights for my Frontier? Are poor headlights common to the Frontier or is it just me??

TA,

kevin

#2 ·
its probably a mixture of both you and the headlight technology being about 12 years old.
i would add some really good headlight bulbs, and fog lights if you have them.

if you enjoy a little aftermarket tinkering then a projector/HID retrofit would be the best possible option.

good luck!

#3 ·
I've got a 2015 and I think they definitely could have done a better job with our headlights. I think the illumination is severely lacking...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Agreed! I've gotten used to HID in our other vehicle which is terrific. Although the bulbs won't last as long as the standard OEM halogens, changing to upgraded halogens like the Sylvania Silverstars will help. Probably the most cost effective option vs. aftermarket HID or LED lighting. Adding some driving or fog lights could be an option also. In either case, don't go whiter/bluer than 4300K color temp which is about the best color for human eyes to process and generally gives you the most light output (lumens) onto the roadway.

#4 ·
You guys might want to try adjusting the headlamp aim upward about 1 to 1.5 turns, our trucks apparently have the beam aimed slightly lower than usual to compensate for when the bed is fully loaded. I did this to mine (as have others) and it changes how much visibility you have... just don't go past 2 turns or they'll be way too high and your high beams will point to the sky

#8 ·
Probably the same way they hold up in any vehicle they're used in.

#13 ·
No electrical problems with the Subie. Oddly enough, at 8 yrs old, all the bulbs were the ones from the factory except for the headlights. No matter what brand i used, I would have to replace them at least twice a year. Also, I used nitrile medical gloves when changing the bulbs. Have so on about 4 different vehicles so I know its not the way I handle them.

#15 ·
Might be something unique to Subaru, or more likely your particular Subie since you state that differently branded bulbs all had a similar short lifespan. I'm wondering if you were getting voltage/resistance spikes in that particular circuit. I've used Silverstars and/or PIAA bulbs in 3 different makes over the years with no ill effects like you described.

#14 ·
I had a problem years ago with blowing head lights on just one side of my vehicle and it turned out to be higher than normal resistance in the wiring on the opposite side. Repaired the resistance problem on the side that lasted a long time and the other side quit blowing bulbs.

#17 · (Edited)
This thread has a lot of good information about headlights: What Is The Best Halogen Headlight Bulb? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Long story short, any halogen light that is designed to be brighter will burn the filament up faster and wear out quicker over OEM. There is no magical halogen headlight bulb that will be better than another. It's like everything else in life, you trade one thing for another to get something you're happy with. So get a brighter bulb, but know you'll have to replace it more often.

The most important thing I can tell you is if you use a brighter bulb, make sure you get no dirt/grease/fingerprints/etc on the bulb itself. They will burn much hotter than OEM and anything on the glass can cause premature failure. Here's a good quote from the thread I linked above. "High output bulbs will not last as long as standard bulbs. But most early life failures I believe are due to improper installation. Any miniscule amount of dirt, skin oil, dust, etc. will kill the bulbs quickly. Before installing clean the bulbs thoroughly with Isopropyl Alcohol and a lint free wipe. Use gloves when inserting the bulb or hold it with the IPA wipe."

#20 ·
Let there be light

FNG, JK :)

The factory headlights are horrible, but a 10yr old creation. Most aftermarket are just as bad or worse. I tried different 9007 bulbs at first, didn't really seem to make a difference. Tried Spyder projector headlights, in stock form they use a H1 bulb for low beam, horrible.

I found that LED fogs, with Xenon HID low beam in my Spyder projector headlights really throw a good amount of light and I'm not being flashed by oncoming fellow motorist.

Look at my sign, and google the LED fogs or Xenon kit I have it's working for me.

Good luck

#21 ·
PIAA extreme whites are way better than the silver stars ultras I had before. Very good when adjusted properly.

I if I could afford an hid retrofit I would do that.

#22 ·
I've been running Phillips CrystalVision bulbs in my OEM headlamps for over a year now, light output is similar to the PIAAs (compared them side by side) but with slightly less "blue" and about 1/2 the price of the PIAAs. I've had Silverstar Ultras before too, too much blue and never last long, but that's just my exp.

#26 ·
I did the same thing. Put CrystalVision bulbs in my headlights and fog lights. It made a noticeable difference, but not an amazing difference. We just need to be realistic about what our headlights can do without modifications or supplements.

I did not need to remove the battery.

#27 ·
Prius lamps?

The propaganda shows have reported that toyota has a really good lamp in the current version of the Prius.
Question: would the current prius headlamp configuration be a potential frontier forward lighting swap?

The theme of this thread seems that the current forward lighting could be better and there are some advances in headlight research and development.

Thanks.
::smile::

#28 ·
The propaganda shows have reported that toyota has a really good lamp in the current version of the Prius.
Question: would the current prius headlamp configuration be a potential frontier forward lighting swap?

The theme of this thread seems that the current forward lighting could be better and there are some advances in headlight research and development.

Thanks.
::smile::
The projectors in the Corolla are supposed to be really good as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Right on...now I want some blue-ish headlight bulbs FTW. Any ideas out there?

#37 ·
Weirdly related... I have a friend that's had a late model Subaru Outback for about 2 years now, and it kills any headlamp bulb within 6 months. Took it to the dealer 3 times now and they can't seem to find anything wrong.

#38 ·
How many ppl here are running eBay/Amazon projector headlights? You know, those with cheap halos and led strips. I'm just wondering since I saw a frontier on the road the other day, eBay headlights with HIDs and they didn't look half bad. Good light output too. I'm thinking about getting a set, but not running the halos or LEDs.

#40 ·
Amazon.com: Starnill LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 7200LM COB LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs (9007): Automotive (Holy crap that's a huge link!)

I installed a pair of these and have been very happy with them so far. They're very bright but I haven't been getting high beam flashes from oncoming cars so I don't seem to be throwing the scattered, irritating beams that some HID retrofits put out.
I was having trouble getting the new bulbs inserted in the housings which was complicated by the tight confines. I ended up removing one of the housings, not as easy as it sounds but I discovered the problem. The red O ring that comes with the LED kit is slightly thicker than the factory part and won't fit in the socket, so I swapped the seals out for the originals and they popped right in. Also, the plastic collar on the bulb will have to be removed so the housing's locking ring can be installed around the heat sink, then reinstalled. There's also a small electronics box that will have to be mounted nearby, nothing too difficult.
Visually, the light is bright, white and well-dispersed. I did notice, however, that there is very little difference when the high beams are switched on, but I haven't found that to be a problem. I tacked on a few pictures of my installation just for fun.

Attachments

#45 ·
I just checked and the housings I got from 1A Auto are the Eagle Eyes brand like NYCe_Frontier recommended.

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.