Beating a Dead Horse - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TXPRO4x, the manual transmission in our trucks does not contain a transmission cooler as the manual transmission does not have pumps like an auto tranny does.

If I were in your position with being paranoid I'd get a solid aftermarket tranny cooler and install it. The warming up issue of an automatic is the only problem you'd encounter and that isn't even really a problem, it'd just take a little longer driving to warm it up instead of letting your truck idle and help warm it up(that's howit works on our stock auto trannys). Heat is the number one killer of transmissions, doing the bypass will in my opinion give you peace of mind on all fronts(especially towing).

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2011 CC Auto. Pro-4X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The radiator doesn't cool the tranny fluid... it runs through the radiator to warm it to operating temp.
If you're that worried about it, add an electric fan to the trans cooler and call it a day. Should work just fine.

2010 P4X CC: 2.5in/2in Lift (ADF&PRG), SPC UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Xoskel Bumper Mouth Bracket w/ 4 Rigid Industries Duallys, Superchips Tuned 93 Performance w/WOT Removed & 2* timing advance, Kool Vue CAI, Rear Axle Vent Mod, Bakflip G2, Radiator bypass, LED conversion.
In Progress: Coilovers, Titan parts, WRP Pulley (in hand), IMS, exhaust.
Axle Vent Mod & Radiator Bypass
South Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JettyLife For This Useful Post:
speedbuggy67 (12-11-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
Did some one say ... I mean type : The water-to-water trans cooler ( in the radiator ) cools the trans fluid *better* than the air-to-water one ?

Question: At what climate/ambient air temp does that occur ?
no i meant to say the 2 combined are better than 1 alone.....

oh and it will be better cooling in low speed high torque situations...airflow is not a given......

2012 Frontier KC SV V6 4x4....2005 Pathfinder V6 4x4

Last edited by maineiac; 12-11-2012 at 03:08 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyded View Post
TXPRO4x, the manual transmission in our trucks does not contain a transmission cooler as the manual transmission does not have pumps like an auto tranny does.
FWIW, there are Nissan manual transmission applications that use an external pump and fluid/air coolers and the same could be said for differential coolers. But by and large, I'd agree 99% of M/T's do not have or need such a system & there aren't internal pumps on most if not all M/T's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyLife View Post
The radiator doesn't cool the tranny fluid... it runs through the radiator to warm it to operating temp.
If you're that worried about it, add an electric fan to the trans cooler and call it a day. Should work just fine.
IMHO, it does both. When cold, the radiator serves to warm the fluid, and when the trans fluid temp becomes higher than the coolant, it serves to cool it, albeit not as much as a fluid/air cooler. Setups like this are usually referred to as 'heat exchangers' just like sandwich style oil coolers.

Also, FWIW, for those speaking of the differences between styles of coolers, the first word in the expression is where the heat is coming *from*, and the latter is where it's being transferred *to*.

In this example;

Fluid/fluid would express trans fluid to coolant.

Fluid/air trans fluid to the air, a small radiator style finned cooler that the fluid circulates through.

Lots of people use fluid/air coolers with no problems, but an engineer *might* argue to the contrary if the fluid doesn't reach "optimum designed temp."

2012 Frontier CC SV 4x2
02 I35
01 Maxima
95 Nissan
Callaway Turbo Mercedes-Benz (Temporary caretaker)
#15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
FWIW, there are Nissan manual transmission applications that use an external pump and fluid/air coolers and the same could be said for differential coolers. But by and large, I'd agree 99% of M/T's do not have or need such a system & there aren't internal pumps on most if not all M/T's.

IMHO, it does both. When cold, the radiator serves to warm the fluid, and when the trans fluid temp becomes higher than the coolant, it serves to cool it, albeit not as much as a fluid/air cooler. Setups like this are usually referred to as 'heat exchangers' just like sandwich style oil coolers.

Also, FWIW, for those speaking of the differences between styles of coolers, the first word in the expression is where the heat is coming *from*, and the latter is where it's being transferred *to*.

In this example;

Fluid/fluid would express trans fluid to coolant.

Fluid/air trans fluid to the air, a small radiator style finned cooler that the fluid circulates through.

Lots of people use fluid/air coolers with no problems, but an engineer *might* argue to the contrary if the fluid doesn't reach "optimum designed temp."
How much piping inside the radiator does the transaction fluid run through? My impression was just the 1 from end to end before it flows back out again.

Sent from my T959 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2010 P4X CC: 2.5in/2in Lift (ADF&PRG), SPC UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Xoskel Bumper Mouth Bracket w/ 4 Rigid Industries Duallys, Superchips Tuned 93 Performance w/WOT Removed & 2* timing advance, Kool Vue CAI, Rear Axle Vent Mod, Bakflip G2, Radiator bypass, LED conversion.
In Progress: Coilovers, Titan parts, WRP Pulley (in hand), IMS, exhaust.
Axle Vent Mod & Radiator Bypass
South Jersey
#16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I'd say its a no brainer about doing the bypass. Not a single person has had a legit complaint just having the factory front trans cooler only. My best friend has a 05 nismo with 185k on it and bypassed the orig cooler well over 100k miles ago and stil has the orig radiator that evidently isn't leaking. He tows in the jersey shore in 100deg summer heat and upstate NY usualy carting a 20ft seadoo twin engine jetboat with NO problems. My old 92 pathfinder had a problem wiht the radiator trans cooler clogging so i added an external trans cooler since it didn't have one and i have 238k on it right now and climbing. I PERSONALLY bought a 06 LE frontier with the cross contamination issue and it was cheap. I flushed 26 quarts of atf through the trans half at first then drove 100 miles and flushed the rest through and the trans is fine. I replaced the radiator and bypassed the cooler but surely didn't have to since the rad was new. I think too many people drive their trucks and feeling the shuddering during the contamination issue and ruin the trans. If cought semi early (say within 500-1000 miles) a good flush and you should be fine. I used a seafoam trans clean during the first flush and lucas shift treatment NOT stop slip the second time around and truck is perfect at 174k miles. Bypass your rad cooler and enjoy your trucks!

Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to speedbuggy67 For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (12-11-2012)
#17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyLife View Post
How much piping inside the radiator does the transaction fluid run through? My impression was just the 1 from end to end before it flows back out again.
Not much, the internal tube style are varying diameters of ~5/8" to 1" and are 6-8-10" long. The lesser expensive radiators use these, where the better rads use larger, more expensive plate style coolers (more surface area to dissipate heat than a single pass hollow tube.)

Someone had a link to a cutaway Griffin video, I couldn't find it.

Some applications (Delphi comes to mind) use an internal trans cooler on one side and an engine oil cooler on the other.

2012 Frontier CC SV 4x2
02 I35
01 Maxima
95 Nissan
Callaway Turbo Mercedes-Benz (Temporary caretaker)
#18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Someone had a link to a cutaway Griffin video, I couldn't find it.
This one...

Nissan Transmission Cooler Comparison - YouTube

The Following User Says Thank You to Mach1tosh For This Useful Post:
HeavyDuty (12-11-2012)
#19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Nissan, and virtually all other maufacturers, just put auto tranny coolers in there to add to their costs.
#20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Shift_lurker

Speedbuggy, your right and although, not what I was planning on doing, it makes perfect sense. I'm gonna do the bypass this next weekend and not look back. Why trade a truck that's been perfect to me since day one?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to TXPRO4X For This Useful Post:
speedbuggy67 (12-12-2012)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.