Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Auto Headlight Upgrade Help

14K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  2013Pro4X 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got a 2008 Frontier SE King Cab and am working on installing the Auto Headlight feature. I already have the parts in hand from Courtesy Nissan (great folks to deal with). I have verified that this model does not have the plug for the option but I know what the wiring should be from research on this forum. I saw that terminal 4 of the sensor(m14) goes to terminal 58 of m20 and terminal 3 to ground. I also know that I may have to take the truck to a dealer and get the feature turned on in the BCM. Here's my problem - I can't figure out on the sensor which terminal is which by looking at them and I cannot find a compatible model in a local junkyard to get the connector. So if someone in their kindness that has auto headlights would gently pry up the shroud/ sensor and take a clear picture of the connector and the wires I could go from there. I may have a source for the connector that I can get one from but I don't know the part number or what it looks like. If all else fails I can get generic wire terminals that will probably work once I know which terminals are which on the sensor (no numbers that I can find). I also plan to document the auto headlight procedure with pictures when I'm done and will also note whether I had to go to the dealer for the BCM change.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It appears that it may be based on research on this forum and the manual -

Confirm and/or change setting value for each item according to the configuration list.
Depending on CONSULT-III software version being used, some or all of the write configuration items shown in the following configuration lists may be displayed. If an item does not display on the CONSULT-III “WRITE CONFIGURATION - Manual selection” screen, then it is an auto setting item and it cannot be manually set or changed.

MANUAL SETTING ITEM
Items Setting value
AUTO LIGHT WITH ⇔WITHOUT
KEYLESS ENTRY WITH ⇔WITHOUT
DTRL WITH ⇔WITHOUT
SPEED SENS WIP WITH ⇔WITHOUT
THEFT ALARM WITH ⇔WITHOUT

NOTE:
Confirm vehicle model. Refer to GI-32, "Model Variation".

If not, I'll have to go digging for another BCM.

#4 ·
Hope you get it figured out. I find it interesting because I have had that feature in multiple cars and trucks and never use it just like I never use cruise control.
I do recall someone here successfully adding it to their truck down to them saying the hole for the dash sensor was visible from underneath so they just had to follow it to cut it out.

Clint

#5 ·
The only thing left is for me to figure out the pinout on the sensor as I know where the 'other' ends go (I even have the 'correct' color of wires to do the mod ;-)). Once that's in place I will know whether the BCM has to be fussed with or not. Simple solution would be to find one in a junk yard and get the connector with the wires attached or get a picture of the connectors from some one that has it installed from the factory. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate one of the Gen2s (or a Pathfinder or an Xterra or probably an Altima) that has auto headlights in a junkyard. If the BCM is okay, this will be a very simple and quick mod which I will be more than happy to document with pictures.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, I may have found another clue. In the Nissan Frontier Shop Manual a diagram with the sensor pinout is shown. It appears that the view is from the 'harness' side which if understand correctly would put the pins in the same position if you were looking from the 'terminal' side. Can anyone confirm that who is familiar with Nissan Shop Manuals? Once I have my sensor pinouts I can go with the next step of this adventure. ;-)

Attachments

#8 ·
Terminals 1 and 2 are likely for the automatic climate control sun sensor. 3 and 4 are, I think what you are looking for. Can't answer your question on which view, however. Follow the wire by color code? One should go to the BCM and one to the right side of the cab, best I remember.

#9 ·
Yes, that's what I've found (wire colors are pink and white). The problem is determining how the pins are numbered from looking at the sensor. If the view I posted is from the 'back' of the connector (and it appears that it is), then it would be the same view as looking at the front of the sensor. I just prefer not to 'blowup' my BCM by crossing the wires incorrectly. :D When I get the chance, I'll probably just go for it and see what happens. Fortunately, the trucks are made locally and I work with a gentleman that used to be on the assembly line. He has been a good source of information - especially on 'taking apart' the interior. BTW, I just installed a 'second' cigar plug in the dash so I would have two there instead of just the one and the hole cover. He recommended I remove the glove box to get to the wires which really simplified the whole deal.

#10 · (Edited)
Well, the adventure continues finally (a lot of stuff climbed in front of the project). Got the connectors sorted and got the wires (pink and white) fished down to the BCM. But now I am trying to figure out how to disconnect the two plugs I need to put the wires in that go into the BCM. Any answers out there on that one? I can get the white one loose but the black one seems have some 'magic' about it coming loose.

#11 ·
Again the adventure continues - I pulled the BCM and figured out the secret to getting the plugs off (pretty hard without removing the BCM so I unbolted it so I could get a good look at it). I also ground a slot where the BCM screws are so I can just loosen the bolts and slide it out should I ever need to fuss with it again. I now know exactly where the wires are to go (which slots) after studying the plugs and the wiring diagrams in the shop manuals and matching colors to be sure since there are no numbers on the plugs or BCM. The ground is easy - there is a brown wire already there that you can just splice into. But the 'hot' sensor wire goes where there is an empty slot in the black plug and you have to have the 'special' Nissan pin connector to crimp on the wire and to insert into the hole in the plug. So off on another hunt to see if there is source for the pins. I don't know if I can get the connector from a wreck and back the pin out or not. If anyone has a source for the pins, I would appreciate it.

#12 ·
I paid a visit to the nearby junk yard and found the BCM plugs on 2006 Sentra and they happened to be the same as the Frontier. I brought them home, dremeled out a pin and used it for the black BCM plug I needed. Spliced into the brown wire on the white BCM plug and that finished the wiring. But no joy - if my wiring is correct, then the option must have to be turned on in the BCM. Since I spent a lot of time studying the wiring, color codes, and positions, I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct. I guess the next step is to find a dealer that's willing to turn the auto headlight option on in the BCM.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, I saw that but there was some confusion on other threads on the topic as to whether that was the case on all models. Some stated that theirs just worked without that on other boards. I'm just hoping I can find an honest dealer that will do it and not just say they did it and that my wiring is 'faulty'. I have no way of checking to see if it is 'on' to my knowledge. If that it all it takes, then I will have it pretty well documented with pictures for folks that want to do it themselves. If it can't be turned on, then I guess it would take BCM replacement which would put an end to this project. ;-)

#17 ·
man, that a lot of time energy and money into something you can just flick your wrist for.
its cool you are doing what you want to your truck, but i have to say i hate newer features like auto lights, lane departure, blind spot monitors, ect.
its making everyone way worse drivers than they were. my gf drove her dads truck and the battery died overnight because she left the lights on. her car has auto lights.

sorry to rant a little, but i hate it all hahah.

#18 ·
Well, I reckon to each his own. We can do without tons of other 'conveniences' if we like, but I don't know that it makes us 'better' at anything. :D BTW, it appears that it will not take a lot of time, money or energy to actually make the changes once you know what they are. The time spent is figuring what and how to do it. My goal is to document it with pictures when I am finished so that the next person that wants to do it does not have to spend much effort to get it done and will have the exact part numbers, wiring, settings, etc. in one place. For example, having the procedure for adding trailer lights was very helpful and knowing you could put the jack in the bumper was great. I found all sorts of threads about auto headlights and a lot of interest but not one of them ever documented the process from start to finish that I could find. If I can find a CONSULT III owner that I can watch do the update, then I will know whether the process works or not. I think that it is goodness to help other people accomplish what they want to do. ;-)

#20 ·
I understand the principle.;-) But most dealers will not let customers back in the shop to see what's going on. So if I take it to a dealer, I have no guarantee that they won't just pull it around back, let it sit, do nothing, then say there must be a problem with my installation. Pretty much every dealer in my immediate area does not have 'kind' things said about their honesty and performance. I've been told of couple of independents that have the Consult IIIs so I'm just hoping I can get hooked up with them eventually so I can watch and also take pictures of the process. Until then as you said, I'll just 'flick the wrist'. ;-)

#23 ·
Well, the end of the story -

I no longer own the truck as I traded it in recently on another truck. And I never did find a dealer I could trust to fuss with the BCM. I kept getting the run around so I just gave up on it. So I guess there's not more I can add other than I think it will work if you can solve the BCM issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.