Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Aussie Swaps?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bajatrailrider 
#1 ·
so im reaching with this but - while researching i have found we here in america get screwed. the navara (aussies frontier) seems to be much better than ours and its "the same truck" they have an option for a v9x 3L turbo diesel engine, has anyone tried to put this in their car yet? im wondering if it would fit in an 07. most reviews ive read the major complaints are the terrible mileage they get while towing campers which is 26mpg but an average of around 30mpg for normal use...........more power, better mileage and already designed for our trucks, has anyone tried to put these in yet? only downside i see getting parts would take longer. the only things im not seeing is the CO2 emissions for the US engines, we seem to keep that a secret, anyone had their emissions checked recently?

also reading their front differentials are beefier at 200mm while ours are 180mm.

has anyone other than me thought about stealing some parts and turning their frontier into a navara? they also get luxury interiors if they want it......

#6 ·
Yep, you'd probably be better off emigrating to Australia in the long run.
Went there 5 years ago and I'd sure like to go back for good when the wife & I are retired (about 11 years from now). We check the realty market where we'd like to be every so often and it seems to be about on par with where we live now. Just have to sort out the pension/health plan details but being from a Commonwealth country as well it shouldn't be too difficult to swing, here's hoping.

#5 ·
Before you get too excited about the fuel mileage remember that the Imperial gallon is 1.25 US gallons. That changes the fuel economy if you are thinking of what would get filling over here.

In my travels I once got to look over one of those "same" Navaros. There is more not the same than the same.

#8 ·
In Mexico the Navrar is called (1gen D22) If it has gas motor Frontier,Same truck with 2.5 turbo diesel is called NP300.The Np has heavy duty rear susp,4.62 diffs,small 15in wheels tires.I converted my 14 Np to a frontier.Even with the diesel it got poor MPGs.Like only 20mpgs.I put tall 16in wheels/tires.Looked up Aussie site Blocked EGR, muffler/Cat delete.Changed pipe from 2in to 2.5 in.Now 31MPGs.You wont get away with that in the US.Funny thing is,with no muffler/cat truck is super quite.Up hills has V8 power.

#10 ·
Seems to me that given the time, trouble and expense of such a project, if I really wanted a diesel, it would be more cost effective to just buy a new truck that already was a diesel, wouldn't it? Unfortunately there are no less than full size trucks on the US market that have one...so it would be pretty much waiting for the 2016 Colorado/Canyon or waiting to see if the rumors of a future Frontier diesel turn out to be true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.