Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Anyone experienced burning smell 4x4 when plowing or up steep incline in heavy snow?

11K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  madmac 
#1 ·
I purchased a new '15 Frontier last year and since it's now the first time in snow I'm getting this bad burning smell within maybe 5 seconds of pushing it a bit in 4x4, like plowing up my driveway. The main reason I bought the thing is to plow my steep driveway and I don't do it for others (no time for that). Had the dealer just check for things like potential trans or transfer case leaks that may be getting on exhaust and they couldn't find anything. I think it's the automatic transmission. Have others found these trannys to be real weak? I had an '08 Frontier prior to this with a manual trans and a Toyota Tacoma before that and Ford Ranger before that and never had any major powertrain weaknesses show up plowing my driveway or going up it in heavy snow taxing the vehicles in 25 years I've been doing it. It's a truck and was purchased to do work around the house, not picking up groceries. Any related inputs would be appreciated so I can make the best decision on how to proceed (I suspect Nissan may need to swap me a manual trans version)

#2 ·
When I push my truck pretty hard drifting around in real deep snow, I get a burning smell coming from the engine area. I let it cool down, and I've decided to go a little easier on it. Thought it may just be some spilled oil, but the trans would make sense.

Time for an m/t swap

#3 ·
I've noticed the odor I believe you are talking about as well. It's definitely stronger after having been run in 4wd. Could it be coming from the front differential volatilizing oil/grease on the outside of the case when it heats up under load? I don't pull the skid plate when I change oil and filter (I just pull the little cover over the hole in the front plate), and it's nearly impossible for me not to spill some oil up in there when I remove the filter, even though I unthread it slowly and let it drain down the spout.

#5 ·
Mine makes no smell in fwd or not. I suspect it's your trans, maybe buy something to check the temps, a secondary cooler might help if it is in fact your transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Frontiers already have a secondary trans cooler.

Clint

#8 · (Edited)
I don't think so, it's my understanding that the hubs don't unlock so the front diff is always turning.

I drove my frontier for hours in 4wd through thick heavy snow the last couple days, no smell at all.

#7 · (Edited)
I had the same smell on my 2011. Always after running in snow and I think in 4x4. Never run it that hard.

Just got myself into a 2016 with 2000km so far. Same smell in same circumstances...

We're getting a blizzard tomorrow so I'll run it in 2wd for a bit too see if I still get the smell.

It never really concerned me until this post came along...

Wouldn't be something to do with the VDC would it???

#12 · (Edited)
Process of elimination

It doesn't look like it's oil on the front diff, as the dealer looked thoroughly for all that. Overheating per se doesn't seem likely because of how quickly the smell will develop. We have more snow coming today to further evaluate, but if I plow going up even the more modest slope of my driveway the smell will become strong after maybe just 5 seconds of use. I didn't sense any wheelspin that could cause brake burning from traction control application, but I will smell each wheel when it happens to try to verify. I've noticed the traction control in operation before and it operates cyclically, where you will hear the engine speed increase and decrease at a frequency of maybe a second or two (not real fast acting) and that didn't happen with this smell. All the indicators seem to point to bands or something slipping in the trans, like if you slip a clutch the smell will be strong right away. I never had a problem sipping the clutch on my previous manual trans Frontier, so this auto must be real weak

#25 ·
It doesn't look like it's oil on the front diff, as the dealer looked thoroughly for all that. Overheating per se doesn't seem likely because of how quickly the smell will develop. We have more snow coming today to further evaluate, but if I plow going up even the more modest slope of my driveway the smell will become strong after maybe just 5 seconds of use. I didn't sense any wheelspin that could cause brake burning from traction control application, but I will smell each wheel when it happens to try to verify. I've noticed the traction control in operation before and it operates cyclically, where you will hear the engine speed increase and decrease at a frequency of maybe a second or two (not real fast acting) and that didn't happen with this smell. All the indicators seem to point to bands or something slipping in the trans, like if you slip a clutch the smell will be strong right away. I never had a problem sipping the clutch on my previous manual trans Frontier, so this auto must be real weak
Do you have access to a non contact thermometer? You can take brake temp readings.

Clint

#13 ·
Slippage

I just called a guy at a local reputable transmission shop for his input and he believes that if clutches started slipping inside the transmission the computer would pick up on it and throw a warning light with stored code (nothing found by dealer). Apparently there are some sensors inside the transmission that will identify errors in speed ratios? Can anyone confirm this?

#14 ·
What powers your plow? Is that a possible source?

#15 ·
Thanks for the brainstorming, but

the plow is hydraulic with some wires to the battery and is the same setup I transferred from my '08 where there were no issues. The plow isn't working when plowing anyway, as you lower it down and it then just floats to follow the ground contour

#17 ·
About 5,000 miles on it, but first time in 4x4 these 2 snow storms. 4x4 is used mostly in my driveway, as soon as road is black I go to 2wd.

Just used it again for today's snow and didn't really smell anything, but snow was only like 2-3 inches deep and fluffy. While I usually hope we don't have bad weather, in this case it would be good to get hit with a decent storm to get this sorted out. I hope your suspicion is right and stuff just burnt off the first time using 4x4, it just seems odd that anything wouldn't be gone in 5,000 miles of driving it

#18 ·
It's strange because nothing should get hot enough to "burn off". The front differential is no warmer in 2wd vs 4wd because the hubs are always engaged. As far as I understand everything in the T-case is turning too. Engine and transmission temps seem like the only thing that may get warmer.

#19 ·
I had my truck out in 30" of snow, I pushed snow higher than my bumper, with the bumper, and had snow in the radiator and grille, I was out wheeling around for about 6 hours, and not a single burning smell, had it in 4HI most of the day, and I was not easy on her. I have Royal Purple gear oils, and swapped them at 15k miles, I have 21k now.

Possible that the burning smell is from the increased heat of working the truck plowing, and the steam/vapor coming off the various parts? This is my second Frontier, and I beat the piss out of my previous and never had a single transmission hiccup, I would find it hard to believe that a little plowing would damage anything with these trucks, besides wearing out suspension parts. If I am not mistaken, the transmission on the Frontier, is the same as the Titan isnt it? Thought I read that somewhere, but dont quote me... I would also tend to agree with the smell of brakes from TCS, or the like, I doubt you have anything major going on.

#20 ·
Personally I would not plow with a Frontier. The smell is from some component that got hot from plowing. If that component fails, your dealer may not honor the warrantyto repair it. Notice I said "may not", your experience might differ.

#21 ·
Well I'm hoping that it may just be something like the catalytic converter getting hotter than it did previously. Again, i never had related issues with my other Frontier which was manual trans, which is why my initial suspicion was with the only different component, the auto trans

#22 ·
I got the smell again today. Drove only 15 km from work to home. In 4x4 with VDC on. The smell was more prevalent on the drivers side. It was easy going but the VDC was kicking in constantly. I don't think it's that the frontier can't handle a plow at all.

I've had two 2nd gem frontiers...driven easily....both have the smell after driving in snow in 4x4...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
My wife's 2012 X had a burn smell from the day we brought it home til about 10k miles in. Freaked me out all the time. Then I bought my '12 Fronty in '15 with about 3k miles on it. Same smell til about 10k

I think it's paint, or some kind of assembly chemical, burning off the motor.

If your transmission was slipping enough to smell it, you'd know it. Period. Just by how it would be driving

#27 ·
Brake temps

I do have those thermometers that you aim with the lazer/LED light and press the trigger. Will bring that along next time to check. Will also look for the switch to turn off the VDC. BTW my wife was with me this evening going up the hill while I had the plow down with minimal snow and she did smell it a little, but at this point it's no where near what it was the other day. I need to investigate these things you guys recommend. Thanks

#30 · (Edited)
My 2005 Titan had a real trans temp guage not an idiot light and while parking parking my trail reverse going uphill I smelled something and looked at the guage and was surprised at how quick the fluid got hot. I put it in parked and rauswd the rpm's and it started to drop to the safe area and tried again and it spiked up again. I suck at backing up my trailers, lol.
You just may be correct that it is the trans fluid.

Clint

#33 ·
I haven't had any smells while plowing in my truck. I have gotten the transmission temperature to nearly 250° according to my BullyDog GT. I have Amsoil fluids throughout if that matters.

I don't have any optional safety systems such as VDC or ABLS. 2007 SE CC automatic, getting up near 140,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.