Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Any new info on 2016 Frontier diesel?

12K views 83 replies 33 participants last post by  2013Pro4X 
#1 ·
I know it's been sometime now since the 2014 Chicago auto show where the Frontier diesel Runner concept was introduced. So is there anything new about where they are in production or any new stats or numbers?

#2 ·
Nope, nothing new. As of the present time it's a concept vehicle only. If and when Nissan actually decides to build it this forum will light up like a Christmas tree and be visible from space. Until then nothing but wasted guesses.

#4 ·
The new Titan diesel is just now hitting the lots so I would imagine Nissan will wait until next year to produce the diesel Frontier if that were to happen. I admit that having an I4 2.8L 4x4 Cummins Frontier would be just perfect. I haul a lot and could really appreciate an upgraded engine that's practically been proven already in different countries. Well, no Xmas present this year. lol

#6 ·
I'd be happy with getting that exact truck here (left hand drive, of course), so I hope we see it next year with the diesel engine.

Too bad they probably won't offer the standard cab, that's what I'd prefer. Does anybody else still like them? I use it for work, so it ends up with space where I really need it and a short wheel base that maneuvers and fits in garages better.

Maybe next spring they'll make some kind of announcement, but right now it's supposed to be the Titan's moment in the spotlight.

#7 · (Edited)
Nice looking truck but NA Nissan would change some specs for our gov regulations. The clean air emissions have already been done. The other brand has a new midsize GMC diesel coming so why not us. I'll wait for Nissan!

#16 ·
My dealer said basically the same. I was hoping to see something new for 2016 but can wait awhile since I'm not needing a new rig at this time. Of course they are motivated to move remaining units off the lot but I'm not ready to haggle at this time.

#23 ·
ive owned a few of them and they are more maintenance intensive.
since gas isnt passing the intake chambers nothing is keeping them clean. and they get caught with road grime and cause issues.

like on my 2.0t jetta, was direct injection. and its was a major problem they had with intake codes getting thrown because there was to much **** stuck in the intake.

im just not a fan of it, but thats just me.

#22 ·
Cost and Maintenance Costs are really the only disadvantages I can think of in regaruds to direct injection. However with every manufacturer needing to squeeze out that extra magical MPG anything that is an fuel mileage benefit is probably going to be tossed at it.

If the Titan XD is direct injection the Frontier Diesel would be to. (I don't remember if it is said either way for the XD but being a new Cummings probably is)

#24 ·
Interesting. I never considered the fact that intake, valves, etc.. are not kept clean by the fuel stream with direct injection. It makes sense though as I had to have an intake removed to replace a head cover gasket on my wifes 02 Altima and the tech called me back to show me how clean the valves were with over 80,000 mi on them. They said they rarely see internals that clean.

#25 ·
I have two diesels in the family, both direct-injection: 2014 MB GLK Bluetec and 2015 Golf TDi - so far they've been great, with gobs of torque and great fuel mileage. I don't know about the intake issue, but so far that hasn't been a problem in my GLK; the Golf's brand new so we'll see.

I've towed my race car with the GLK, with 369 lb.-ft. of torque, and BOY DOES IT GO! A Mercedes pickup truck sounds interesting, but I probably wouldn't cut up its sheet metal so as to gain a few inches of offroad clearance... but that's just me.

#38 ·
Thought I would weigh in. Living in Colorado, I see everything being road tested. They are still road testing, with some camoflauge , the new Titan. I have seen what I think is the new Frontier.

They are kind of weird with the testing, the stuff they really want to keep secret, is heavily campo'd and only tested in the wee dark hours of night. Because of my work schedule, I see a lot of stuff being road tested, either up I-76 or I-70 in the mountains. Ford, Dodge and Toyota are testing new motors right now, the trucks are debadged, heavy camo and pulling very heavy loads. Even the Titans they are still testing is the same way.

#39 · (Edited)
Nissan sure is dragging their feet on the Frontier Cummins while GM dealers already have allocations for the 2.8L Duramax in their Colorado and Canyon respectively. 365ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm from a 4 cyl is impressive.

Attachments

#40 ·
Not as impressive as this:

2013~15 Mercedes-Benz GLK Bluetec diesel: 2.1L 4-cyl. with 369 lb.-ft. torque at 1,600 rpm. 200 bhp.

2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 BlueTec Diesel Test ?*Review ? Car and Driver

I have one, and have towed a 4500 lb. car trailer over 170 miles while averaging 29 mpg (80% flat highway, 20% over coastal hills in northern CA during the trip). At times I forgot that there was a trailer back there.

I'm hoping that the Nissan/Cummins unit is more efficient than the Duramax, as the Duramax is clearly not the most technologically advanced/efficient out there.

Ford's bringing back its Explorer in the next year or two, and I'm sure that it'd sport a baby-Powerstroke diesel at some point.

#41 ·
Yeah, my last 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD was making 370 lb/ft at 1,600 RPM. The transmission in those Jeeps is the 545RFE which is a fairly heavy duty transmission that's also used in the 1-ton pickup trucks. The little 2.8 diesel made so much torque at such a low RPM that the converter would shudder and shake when you dipped into the throttle. I had to install an updated torque converter to handle the power.

It got 26 MPGs average doing a highway/city driving loop to work and back all week. The most I ever towed with it was about 7,000 lbs. which I did on two occasions. On both trips it averaged between 14-16 MPGs towing that load. Think about that for a second. With 3.5 tons hooked onto the back it would get the same fuel economy as a 4.0L gas Frontier gets with an empty cargo box and no trailer hooked on.

I have always said that once a person actually owns a diesel vehicle, it's hard to go back to gas. When I went back to a gas 4x4 again it was a HUGE adjustment. Diesels get all their work done without revving hard at all. It's almost kind of "peaceful" in a way. No wonder they last forever.

#42 ·
I have always said that once a person actually owns a diesel vehicle, it's hard to go back to gas. When I went back to a gas 4x4 again it was a HUGE adjustment. Diesels get all their work done without revving hard at all. It's almost kind of "peaceful" in a way. No wonder they last forever.
Well said! Aside from the GLK, I also own a Golf TDi, and previously a F-250 Powerstroke Diesel; I loved the trio (no gas vehicles in the family then). They feel like "gentle giants", in a way :) . The F-250 was a little too big for my 4,500-lb. towing requirement, so I had to downgrade to a mid-size with decent torque (Frontier V6), but really wished that there were a diesel option. I'm not a GM guy, so won't be going the Duramax way, and am really hoping that Nissan gets its act together on a Frontier Cummins diesel sooner than later.

#43 ·
If they offer the diesel option in the 2017 Frontier in a King cab or regular cab (ha!), they've sold one to me. If they push it out any farther I'll have to check them later, I'm getting a new truck next year and plan to hold on to it. This thread name should be changed to "Any new info on 2017 Frontier diesel?".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.