Any Kayakers here? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any Kayakers here?

What's your setup and how do you carry it on your truck?

I have an OK Prowler Trident Angler.. I do a lot of kayak fishing off the Gulf Coast.

Here's my yak - I've since added a fish finder

How I used to carry it

How I carry it now. I just use foam blocks that have slits in them that fit the factory cross bars perfectly. Using the tailgate as a ramp, i'm able to just push the kayak up onto the roof with little effort. However, I am interesting in other options, so please post up your methods.

Dinner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,423 Times in 915 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
ME and my sister just started for fun in the ocean. It's just a little perception sport 8' sit on kayak.

I carry it on the bed since my truck is so tall, and I'm too lazy to lift it up that high

[IMG]

Kayaking is great fun!

-Nate
#3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a Yakima Outdoorsman (front) and Drydock (hitch). I need to sell the Outdoorsman because it won't work w/ my cap.

08 Black SE CC 4x4 6sp
Bedlined grille, billet inserts, Fogs, smoked tail & 3rd lights, Stubby, ARE cap, Clarion CX501, Cobra 75 and Wilson 4', Rogue Key, IMS, Volant, Install Magnaflow 15580
Suspension Radflo 2.0, Bill 5125 & OME Med Duty leaf pack
Tires/Wheels BFG AT/KO 265/75/16 on Pro Comp 7089s
Protection NxRocks-rad/engine/trans, Shrocks-T-case, Hefty-GT, BTF-diff cover (Mag-Hytec gasket), Demello Offroad DIY sliders, KMA front bumper (modified), TAG rear bumper
Future
POR15/bedline bumper
#4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_mods View Post
ME and my sister just started for fun in the ocean. It's just a little perception sport 8' sit on kayak.

I carry it on the bed since my truck is so tall, and I'm too lazy to lift it up that high

Kayaking is great fun!

shrock sticker looks good on the kayak!

2011 Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4
#5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Shift_Fanatic

I have a Perception Corsica S. It will fit in the bed. I haven't done white water in a while, though.

2008 SE 4WD, Crew Cab, Long Bed; Leer 180 Cap, 2" Receiver hitch, Trailer wiring in bumper. Cooper 245/75/16 M&S (Winter). Cooper 265/75R16 ATP (Summer). Full set of Hefty skids, TJM Coilover w/HD spring, SPC upper control arms and 2" rear add a leaf plus 1" block. TJM extended travel rear shocks. Pyle backup camera wired to a Pioneer radio.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

We have 2 inexpensive 10 footers we picked up on a great deal at Costco a few years back. We're just 5 minutes from where we launch, all low speed back roads, so I just tie them down in the bed of the truck. I have the 5 ft bed, and with the tailgate down, they hang over a little over 3 ft. I only do this in daylight, short distance, they are securely tied down, bright yellow, with red tie down straps flapping behind, so pretty obvious to anyone following me. Haven't had an issue yet...

2011 Frontier PRO-4X Crew - Night Armor, Luxury Package, Sliding Bed Extender and Tow Package
#7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Shift_Hardcore

i had a 12' sit in and a 10' sit in, i just strapped the to the factory roof rack with out the foam blocks that you have. they hung over the sides of the rack a little but they were secure. i tied the front to the tow hook and the rear tied down to some hooks in the bed. mine were not outfitted like yours so they were light enought to just lift up and sit on the roof from the sides. there's a million possibilities for hauling them around though. good luck.

2006 2wd LE crew cab. 6" suspension lift via CST spindles and prg spacers. removed sway bar, 1.5" rear block, 2"AAL, prg adjustable shackles. Knockoff magnaflo muffler, K&N intake system. Rattle can bedliner on the front grille, duplicolor orange-red on the grille, tailgate and wheel emblems. plastidip wheels. 285/70R17 goodyear duratrac tires. Calmini prerunner front bumper, Cobra CB radio. OEM bug deflector and vent visors. 1.25" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers on the rear to even out the track width front and back. bushwacker fender flares unpainted.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Shift_lurker

Old Town Cayuga130 goes into the 6' bed with a cheap "bed extender" bought at harbor freight (Truck Bed Extender - Save on this Pickup Truck Bed Extender) with walmart camp-mat foam glued to the top to hold up the back end. Works well. I could get by with using only two tie downs if I wasn't mildly ocd.

ETA: next time I load it up I'll snap a pic. I use the same set up for a 14' old town canoe.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Shift_lurker

I got a bed extender to haul my kayak. I just tried it out for the first time today and worked great.

The Following User Says Thank You to OnTheVise For This Useful Post:
bbaker06 (02-25-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheVise View Post
I got a bed extender to haul my kayak. I just tried it out for the first time today and worked great.

I was just looking for one of these. Where did you get yours?

2006 2wd LE crew cab. 6" suspension lift via CST spindles and prg spacers. removed sway bar, 1.5" rear block, 2"AAL, prg adjustable shackles. Knockoff magnaflo muffler, K&N intake system. Rattle can bedliner on the front grille, duplicolor orange-red on the grille, tailgate and wheel emblems. plastidip wheels. 285/70R17 goodyear duratrac tires. Calmini prerunner front bumper, Cobra CB radio. OEM bug deflector and vent visors. 1.25" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers on the rear to even out the track width front and back. bushwacker fender flares unpainted.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.