Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Another defector

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  ratman6161 
#1 ·
So 4 years ago i needed truck. The truck i wanted didn't exist (full size light-duty diesel). Wasn't all that impressed with the 1/2 ton gassers and narrowed it down to the Tacoma & Frontier being they were very capable and affordable. Started out building a Tacoma online but couldn't build a 4x4 with a manual tranny so i built a frontier the way i wanted.....did more research and the Frontier came out ahead and i preferred it's styling of the Tacoma too. Found the truck i wanted (Pro-4X king cab 6spd) online and bought it without even a test drive.

After 3.5 years and 26,xxx miles of ownership i found it to be an exceptional value. Also Very capable, solid, reliable and safe....the stability control absolutely saved my A** one snowy day.

I also found this thing really liked to drink the fuel and that i could have really used a full sized truck.

Well.....a few months ago i heard people were actually taking delivery of the fabled Ram Ecodiesel....then i found out how much carmax would give me for my truck......Sold it to carmax 4/19. Ordered my Ecodiesel 5/10 and took delivery 7/18.

Couldn't be happier.
With my routine back and forth to work where I'd get 16 in the Fronty, I'm getting 21 in the Eco-D. Best i could get on a long highway trip in the Fronty was 20-21. Got 28-29 on a short 100 mile trip with the cruise set at 70 in the Ram. And i never thought I'd say this, but I love the ZF 8spd auto in the Ram. The 6spd in the Fronty was fun but chore around town in traffic....

Great truck it was, but now there's one better suited to my needs and desires.

See less See more
#5 ·
Pretty sure that's going to be my next truck. I love my Pro-4X but have been feeling the effects of too little legroom for a while now. Being in a full size truck that gets the same or even better gas mileage is a big kicker too. Won't be anytime soon but eventually I'll be defecting as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
Checking the Ram Canada website and with the only option being a trailer tow package the after tax price isn't far below $46K:surprise:and that's after $8,500 in discounts:crying:
For what I use the Frontier for that is way too high for me. Nice truck though, but pricey!

#12 ·
I didn't really look into it too much. But when I was reading more about the truck on Edmunds website, it listed the price promise for the SLT 4WD crew cab V6 as around 28k.

I don't know if that involves any rebates or how realistic that is.

But if that's true I find it pretty impressive combined with the mileage in the upper teens and turning radius of a little bit less then 40 feet.

All of this information is from Edmunds:
2014 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab Pickup 3.6L V6 FFV 4x4 8-speed Automatic 5.6 ft. Bed Features and Specs

Like I said I didn't look into it too much. So don't know how accurate these numbers are.

The listed price promise isn't that far off from the Tacoma and maybe higher end Frontiers.

Reviews for the Ram all seem pretty good and I think it says something when other members on this forum mention how this is a truck that they'd consider.

It is a little bit too big for me though.

#13 ·
I didn't really look into it too much. But when I was reading more about the truck on Edmunds website, it listed the price promise for the SLT 4WD crew cab V6 as around 28k....
The listed price promise isn't that far off from the Tacoma and maybe higher end Frontiers. ...

consider.

It is a little bit too big for me though.
Out of curiosity I went and priced one out on the Ram Trucks web site. On the good side, its possible to configure a base model Tradesman and just add the diesel as an option...so at least they don't force you to go with the high end model to get it...But the cheapest 4x4 Tradesman I could configure comes in at $38,890 MSRP. Now, if you need the capabilities it offers, then that actually seems like a good deal compared to other full sized trucks out there. But at that price you would be getting a very basic truck other than the diesel engine.

For someone like me that doesn't need a big truck and for a variety of reasons doesn't want one (like it would not fit in my garage) - the Frontier still seems like the best option out of everything currently on the market. I'd consider a Frontier or Chevy Colorado Diesel but I'm expecting they will put such a premium price on them that it won't make sense for me.

All that said It does seem to me like those wanting or needing a full size couldn't go wrong with the RAM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.