Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2nd Gen Frontier Radiator Part # Update?

14K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  4Dr 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been doing a ton of research on the radiator failures in the 05-10 Frontier, Pathfinders, Xterras. First I have not found one person with an 09-10 reporting issues with the radiator failure and cross contamination. I was doing some research and found that Nissan did an update to the radiator part number in 09 at some point. The 05-mid 09 models were part number 2140 EA215 and the later 09-10 rads got part number 21460 ZL11A (which my 09 has). Does anybody know the difference in the part numbers and if they possibly fixed this issue with the new radiators?

I took my newly purchased 09 Frontier with a build date of June 2009 to the dealer to check all fluids and they said my trans fluid was clear and good and the coolant looked nice and green. I do plan on doing some towing with the new truck this summer and was trying to avoid the bypass if the design was fixed in the enw radiators. Also I am under warranty for another 6 months and my truck has 52k on the clock. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

#5 ·
Yep - The fact that (1.) your Frontier has the newer radiator part number, (2.) your Frontier was built after the point where cross-contamination stopped being an issue, and (3.) a visual inspection revealed absolutely no evidence of any leakage...

I think you'll be just fine.

Should you continue to keep an eye on it? Sure.

Should you worry about it? No way.

#6 ·
A lot of Xterra guys swear by KoyoRad radiators - If your looking to change out. It has 2 rows compared to the OEM 1 row. I actually have one in the garage now that will replace my 08s OEM when I have time. It looks, from the exterior at least, just like the OEM with exception to the bottom transmission inlet section... If I had your truck with the newer radiator I wouldn't change it out.

#8 ·
I've been a moderator at TheNissanPath.com for several years (among other forums) where there is a lot of R51 members and a lot of traffic regarding their radiator issue, which is the same as the same year Frontier/Xterra V6's. Nissan has never put out anything regarding part numbers as to which are the updated parts nor which are the problem-prone units. The affected years are 2005 through 2010; we've heard of a few 2010 failures but only one or two 2009 failures. Most are on the early years 2005-2007 and quite a few 2008's. The common part numbers we run across on failed radiators are 21460-EA215, 21460-EA265 and 21460-EA200...along with a few 21460-9CA2E. It was somewhere in the -9CA2E production that we "believe" the update was made. I would think that the vast majority of -ZL11A radiators would be unaffected, but we really don't have sufficient information to be sure that they are. If it were me, I wouldn't gamble on a pre-2011 model and would replace the radiator. Aftermarkets have shown to be very reliable and without issues and the all-aluminum, CSF radiator from Stillen at $350 is the same cost as the "value line" radiator available from Nissan.
As far as coolant, I don't think Prestone even makes a green coolant, anymore. They have a yellow, "works on all color" anti-freeze which should work fine. You want to make sure your anti-freeze is classified as HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) or "phosphated organic acid technology." Personally, I always like the genuine Nissan coolant, which is made by Pentosin and the same as Pentafrost A2, which is a concentrate that is mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Pentafrost A2 can be purchased from Rockauto.com, on Ebay and Amazon, among other places. For those with Nissan blue coolant, Pentosin Pentafrost A3 is the same thing and comes pre-diluted.

www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_spec_A2.pdf

#13 · (Edited)
Just seen a post on the radiator failures. Its on page 103 of the very long forum about this issue. His radiator (2nd one failing for him) part #21460-9CA0E. This is the same radiator that is in my 2011 Pro 4x. Im ordering my CSF today! Love the truck but Im tired of reading about this. Ride On

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.