Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2016 Frontier

8K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  Joshua_Skinner 
#1 ·
Just joined the club and am looking for any info or pictures. Thing about trading my 2008 LE for a new one when they come out.

#8 ·
As we are into July, I'm guessing the '16's are '15's with some kind of non-mechanical minor change. I look forward to seeing the updated Frontier, whenever it happens, whatever it becomes, etc. That being said, we bought our '15 BECAUSE of its old bones and lack of mystery. Good truck. Much like Gilligan disappearing to the other side of the island, we won't realize how much we miss the current Frontier 'till it's gone.

#5 ·
Saw your log on name"sidevalve".Are you into flathead motorcycles by chance?
Lots of my friends work for "Foss Maritime" as captains.500 ton license?

#7 ·
Hey sidevalve,Nice to meet you too.I was into 74's and Sportsters more but I had a 45 trike and a 45 two wheeler.The trike was all I could afford in High School.$145 but I had to dig it out of four trash cans.
Buddy was heavy into Indians.He had a couple of Chiefs and a 4 banger.Had an XA driveshaft also.
My friends running tugs started off as sportfishing guys but tugs were a lot better paying.

#13 · (Edited)
Yea, I'd be shocked if the US/Canada doesn't get basically the new Navara NP300 we have all seen overseas with just a different powertrain in 2017.. I think 2016 is too soon for it to be changed over for us, so my bet is 2016 as mentioned will be a very minor update and then the new Navara clone in 2017. I also didn't want to wait and have the risk of getting an all new platform vs something older that has most of the major bugs worked out.

Plus I prefer the look of the Gen2 Frontier vs anything else out there now and even this new Navara.. Way too Car/CUV like in appearance to me.

#15 ·
Being that it's July already, i can't see Nissan rolling out a completely new Frontier for the 2016 model year. I think the 16 model will still be a second generation truck with slight enhancements.

Maybe the 2017 will be the redesign. Isn't the Titan Diesel coming next year as well?

#16 ·
Shall I play Devil's advocate here?
People are saying the Frontier supply is dwindling.
They are saying that it is because they are retooling the plant for the new Titan
In their current form, the Frontier and Titan share many elements and I believe the frame.
The word on the street is that this is the last year for the Xterra that uses many of the parts of the Frontier.

So, what is the possibility that Nissan will follow Ford and stop producing a mid sized truck in North America? Ford still sells the Ranger over seas, but not here.

The countries that have the Navara do not appear to have a Titan equivalent, so it is the only truck they have in the Nissan line.

There is no reason what so ever to think what I have said is right, but has there really been anything in the media that would prove me wrong? >:D

#17 ·
Nissan currently sells a LOT more Frontiers than Titans.

Dropping the Frontier might drive a few additional Titan sales, but it would also drive a lot of prospective customers to other brands.

Some folks simply don't want a full-size truck - And Nissan currently offers an excellent alternative in the Frontier.

They'd be foolish to abandon that market.

#18 ·
I have looked at all the choices and the is Frontier is the best. A full size Ford or Chevy equipped same as a PRO-X is 50 to 60 thousand dollars! The Canyon and Colorado is like a 4 door EL Camino. My 2008 LE hasn't had any problems so I am in no hurry to have a car payment::smile::

#19 ·
It was documented in the sales numbers that when Ford stopped selling the Ranger, people didn't go to the F-150 as they hoped. They went to Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier largely.

I still don't understand what Ford was thinking. The cab and general layout and interior of the Ranger had been unchanged since 1993 so they had recovered their R&D costs a long time ago, and as of 2006 or 2007 the Ranger was still the #2 selling truck in the class. That's an automaker's dream...to spend little producing a vehicle and still sell them like hotcakes. And they discontinued it...along with the E-150/250/350 which was the #1 selling work van in the nation.

Stupid stupid stupid.....

#20 ·
Dang…I'm going to miss the Econoline. Chevy is the last one to build a real van. Anyways, as much as I liked the Ranger, the build quality was inferior to the Frontier's.

#24 ·
If you look closely at the pictures purporting to be 2016 Frontiers and look particularly at the few tailgate views they show you will see it says....Navara on it. Nothing from Nissan even hints at that truck coming to the US. We do know that Nissan worked extensively with Cummins on the 2.8L 4 cylinder diesel, so I would sort of expect that to show up somewhere sometime. Anyway if there was going to be an all new truck in 2016 I think we would have heard about it by now.

That said, the Navara pictures that keep cropping up purporting to be 2016 Frontiers are usually shown in that (to me) really ugly orangish color. If you look at it on the Nissan Thailand site (NP300 Navara Double Cab) and switch the color from the baby puke orange or whatever they call it to black or twilight gray (looks close to our Night Armor to me) I actually think it looks pretty good

#26 ·
Fwiw, the VTP on SV's has been expanded to include a leather gearshift knob & leather wrapped steering wheel. Guessing the price went up as well.

#27 ·
I agree that they would be shooting themselves in the foot to get rid of a smaller truck, but honestly, if they made something the size of the hardbody again or at least the first gen Frontier I expect they may get even more sales. I wanted a truck and would have liked to get one even smaller than the Frontier, but no one sells one in North America. Give me a hardbody with a 4 cyl diesel engine and I am going to likely buy one.

#28 ·
TruckIt;2508313 I wanted a truck and would have liked to get one even smaller than the Frontier said:
Amen brother! I've heard all kinds of reasons why they don't make small trucks anymore, everything from perceived value to the structure of CAFE regulations to nobody wants a small truck. I'm pretty sure that last one isn't true. Don't tell the manufacturers, but given a choice between full size and small/medium size at the same price, I'd take the smaller one. The closer the small truck gets to a full size the less I want it.

I need a truck for work, and by truck I mean truck bed and a place for the driver. I'd love to have a regular cab and a seven foot bed, or let me put a utility bed on the back. I'd settle for a King Cab, but I don't want to drive a full size and I'd pay what it takes to stay out of one.

My pin-up picture of a truck :kiss: would be 4wd, long bed, regular cab, and diesel power in a size smaller than the current Frontier.

#29 ·
I would have also liked a little smaller Frontier. I have had two Dodge Dakotas ('96 and '01), both 2WD and liked them for the lower ride height and better steering feel. I liked the '01 Dakota interior better than the slightly gimmicky interior in my Frontier also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.