2013 Frontier - Page 23 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#221 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There has been talk of a Fwd 2013 Dakota as far back as 2011. Rumor is that it will be built at the Windsor, Ontario plant which assembles the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan, and Volkswagen Routan minivans.
Can you call a Fwd unibody with a modified minivan platform a truck?

2011 Pro-4x
Magnaflow Catback, Taylor Cable Helix Power Tower Throttle Body Space, Stage 2 aFe Cold Air Intakes, Hypertech Max Energy (Premium Tune), Xoskel Light Cage, 4-6" Round 130w Daylighters, Shrockworks Front/Rear bumpers , Shrocks Sliders, Ramsey patriot 9500 UT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#222 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake05444 View Post
There has been talk of a Fwd 2013 Dakota as far back as 2011. Rumor is that it will be built at the Windsor, Ontario plant which assembles the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan, and Volkswagen Routan minivans.
Can you call a Fwd unibody with a modified minivan platform a truck?
No it has to be a unibody to be a unibody...
#223 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFrontier85 View Post
No it has to be a unibody to be a unibody...
I think thats what he is saying. If the new Dakota is built off the mini-van platform which is already a unibody and going to be FWD, can you really call it a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Storm Grey SE 4x4

My 30 minute Banks Monster Exhaust review can be found on my youtube page:
www.youtube.com/spurly48
#224 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I think thats what he is saying. If the new Dakota is built off the mini-van platform which is already a unibody and going to be FWD, can you really call it a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Honda did.

06 NISMO CC 4X4: 2 1/2" lift w/285/75-16 BFG MT KM2s, Alpine CDA-9857 HU, Alpine Type R 6.5 components in front, Type R 6.5 3-way in rear, Flowmaster 40, NISMO CAI, NISMO radiator and oil fill caps, Bushwacker Flares, Calmini winch bumper w/Warn 9.5cti, KC SlimLites, and PIAA 510 fogs
98 Jeep Wrangler: 2" spacers, Rubicon coils, Borla Header/Flowmaster, 33-12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Lock, KC 150W Daylighters, Pioneer HU and speakers w/RF 12" P3 sub and MTX amp
1963 Nissan Patrol L60 (project): 2013 Xterra PRO4X (wife's): 2012 Xterra SV 4X4 (daughter's)
#225 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Shift_lurker

I have a feeling the next gen frontier will go the way of the new pathfinder.... unibody, fwd/awd, and cvt..... let's hope I'm wrong, just wish Nissan would give us some details already.

Toyota has a new more powerful v6 in the 4 runner they might use in their tacoma.

Nissan doesn't even really need to redesign the appearance because it looks good the way it is..... just put in some more efficient engines already.
#226 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
I'm waiting for the hybrid truck to come out. Elec. motors and 4cylinder gas or diesel engines. They need to get mpg's up so this would be one route, they might also install turbo chargers too instead of hybrid configuration. Does anyone know how elec.motors will perform if submerged in water (ie: fording a stream) ? That would be my only concern in a hybrid truck. I hear Ford, GM, and Toyota are researching this hybrid option.

'08 Frontier, 4 cylinder, A/C, cruise control, manual 5 spd, radio/cd, with CREE LED back up lights from JLC
Removed back jump seats, seat covers installed on front seats, front bug shield installed on hood, mudflaps all around

#227 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtopherfishing View Post
Does anyone know how elec.motors will perform if submerged in water (ie: fording a stream) ? That would be my only concern in a hybrid truck. I hear Ford, GM, and Toyota are researching this hybrid option.

I imagine it would be possible to protect an electric motor against water just as you can protect the electrical components currently in vehicles. Whether or not it comes from the factory like that, and how expensive it would be to do is a different discussion.
#228 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Shift_Fanatic

DC motors will work fine under water. The only thing you are trying to protect them from is corrosion not the water per se.

I'd love to see a 4x4 truck that has an electric motor in each wheel hub - individually controllable for speed and direction of rotation.

Wouldn't have to complain about the lousy turning radius of the Frontier any longer

2012 Frontier Pro4X
King Cab
Automatic
Super Black (not just black but SUPER black!)
EZDown tailgate strut
Weathertech DigitalFit mats (grey)
Diamondback HD - LineX tonneau cover
#229 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
I'd love to see a 4x4 truck that has an electric motor in each wheel hub - individually controllable for speed and direction of rotation.
There was a Mini Cooper concept a few years back with this idea. If I remember correctly, the design (all theory at that point) had the equivalent of 600 BHP!

Would be great to have some kind of setup like this in our trucks. Lots of advantages to using electric motors over IC.
#230 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
You mean like this?
Driven: Protean Ford F-150 All-Electric Pickup Truck - PickupTrucks.com News

And the motors will most likely work fine submerged, since they need to work in the rain as well.

2000 Silver Frontier, SE 4x4 V6 Crew Cab (5spd) - 309xxx km and counting!
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro4X (6spd) - 800km!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrjones For This Useful Post:
xtopherfishing (12-10-2012)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.