Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2002 Nissan Frontier Will not start!!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Abmobil 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to figure out a problem that I've had the past couple days, but no luck.
I need some helps guys!

Background:
2002 Nissan Frontier XE v6 - Automatic
mileage: around 150,000

All lights come on, radio plays fine but when I start it it cuts off and back on.

Problem: A few weeks ago I had an oil leak passenger side, so I changed the valve cover gasket. Fixed oil leak, but still some residue on engine I cleaned most of that off, it was kind of everywhere.

Beginning of this week starting I've had problems starting my truck. It would slow turn, slow turn then pick up and fast turn and fire up. It did that a couple days.

A couple days ago I get in to go to work and all I get is a small click. Nothing else just a small click.

I pulled the starter off took it to o'reilley AND autozone to check it, both said it was fine and good to go. I checked my battery and it was dead, so I bought a new one.

Installed both and I still get the same thing...one small click.

Today I tried starting it and it just gave me this err sound. I tried to start it in neutral but that didn't work. Now today I can't even move my shifter.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like you got a new battery with a weak/no charge in it. Have you tried jumping your truck? Do you or a friend have a multi-meter? Check the volts on the new battery, also Cold Cranking Amps is the biggest thing not just the volts. I have a Jr battery tender also and it can charge a weak battery. I cant believe you pulled a starter w/o checking the battery first?

Your radio is cutting off cause there isn't enough juice to keep it going while your trying to turn the engine over.

#5 ·
I agree with them. Jump start the truck and let the battery fully charge. If the problem continues I'd check all connections from the starter and battery including the ground straps. Sometimes there are grounds near the engine valve covers or firewall also.

#7 ·
Yeah I just dropped it in.

I'm going to pick up a multimeter this afternoon and test it. Will jump it too, to test as well.

Reason I pulled my starter of is I wanted to get that tested first but have realized probably not the best way to go.

I'm hoping it's a weak "new" battery. I called the place I got the battery from and they promised the battery is fully charge....I may be calling BS.

Thanks guys I'll report back later tonight to see if anything worked.

#16 ·
Now may be a good time to throw in the towel and have it towed to a local shop you trust. Guessing and throwing parts at it can get very expensive.

#18 ·
Alright guy I got it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even tho I went to 2 places to check my starter, it ended up being my starter.

Everything just didn't click when I'd fix one thing and it still didn't help the problem.

So I went back and had them test my old one against a new one and the sound alone was enough to tell me it was my starter.

Moral of the story...Don't believe those people at the auto store's I had to learn the hard way, but better than having to take it in to a mechanic.

Thanks guys for all your insight on this matter!

#19 ·
The sound can definitely give you an idea about it's health, but bench testing while it can help you determine if it's bad or not, it still does not put a load on the starter like turning over an engine does.c

Glad you got it fixed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.