Nissan Frontier Forum banner

torn on what tire to get/newly lifted

8K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  The other Sean 
#1 ·
hi guys, so i just put a rough country lift and am looking for new, semi larger tires. i just want a little bit bigger and don't want a mud tire. we get bad snow storms here during the winter and ice so its gotta be a good tire. i don't really want a tire just for winter either.

heres the truck lifted ::grin::

And I was thinking of these tires perhaps:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FL+Alenza&partnum=76HR8HLALNZ&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

anybody have any opinions?? thanks!! hope you like the truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those tires look pretty good to me for a highway oriented all season. The thing that would make me turn to something else is that they are listed as a closeout. The problem there is that it most likely means the tire is being discontinued which would mean that if you needed to replace 1 you would probably have a hard time finding it so you would either have to have a mismatched pair or you would need to buy a matching pair.

#3 ·
If you like Bridgestone and you want something a little more aggressive check out the revo.
I'd stick to something more AT type for snowy weather trucking. Like the BFG AT, Toyo Open Country AT, Yokohama and Goodyear have a couple of good options too. All of these will still have pretty good highway manners and several of them will even come with a 40k+ tread wear warranty.

#5 ·
Goodyear makes incredible tires. I'm with mclark, the duratracs are a great tire and look aggressive which seems like would go with your truck perfectly. I have the GY Wrangler MT's and have zero complaints but I know you don't want MT's.

#6 ·
The Toyo Open Country AT II's are awesome tires. I have a set now and will be replacing them soon with the same just in a bigger size. They do great for a non studded tire in snow and ice. They handle mud, loose gravel, dirt, and larger rocks very well. On road manners are good in wet and dry conditions, and the noise is very tolerable. They are heavy compared to other options though.

The only reason I didn't recommend them right out of the gate is because you were looking at a very clearly highway oriented tire, which these are not and neither are the Duratracs or BFG AT. Not that they can't handle the highway, but mpgs will be noticeably lower than what you were looking at. If that isn't a concern to you, I would highly recommend the Toyos from personal experience and Duratracs from 3rd party experience. I have not heard good things about the BFGs on ice, everyone I know that has them runs dedicated snow tires on their 4wd vehicles.

#7 ·
Thanks guys! The dueler's i posted i realized are the same tire I have now except a size larger and i don't like my current tires at all. no traction in rain, i have to drive like theres snow on the ground. i really like the bridgestones and do want something a little bit more aggressive that are also practical. thanks for the input. choosing tires is like picking the color of your house, a pain because you don't want to get it wrong!

#10 ·
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar? Tires | Goodyear Tires
Im running a set of 265 60 r18 on my truck. As a former revo 2 owner i can say these are a far better tire. Tons of wet or dry pavement grip. I live in the Seattle area so i know wet roads. Quiet no hum on the road. Good grip off road ive had them in fairly deep mud, gravel roads and deep beech sand with no problems. If you want to go a bit bigger the 265 65 is almost 2 inches taller.

#12 ·
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago when deciding on tires after purchasing my PRG kit..

I knew I wanted a tire that would have good road manners, be very capable in rocks/offroad situations, and have better than average snow/ice traction for the mountains in the winter.

After many hours of internet/forum researching and talking to many tire store techs, I bought 4 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs from my local Discount Tire. For an all-around do everything well tire, it had the most raving reviews from any forum I found (Tacoma forum, wrangler/jeep forum, etc) and every tire store I went to recommended those over everything else. Yes, they are a bit more spendy than a Cooper, but they have the designated "winter symbol" rating because of softer tread and their "tractigroove" technology.. you can even add studs if need be for the winter (supposedly they are amazing in snow/ice without studs)

That's my two cents for you.

#13 ·
The review for those on Tire Rack are very good! Do you think that if i went with a 265/65-18 it would rub? Im leaning twords these poentially. I want a little taller to fill in the space so the tires porportionate to the lift while also getting a quality tire.

#23 ·
I'm going to throw in a vote for the General Grabber AT2. I strongly considered the Duratracs but the AT2s were just enough cheaper that I ended up going with them instead. I can only compare them to the 2 sets of Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2s that I had and the AT2, in my opinion, is a far, far better tire than the Revos could dream of being.

The AT2s are available in 275/65/18 which is ~32" tire, which is only ~.5" larger than the 265/65/18 you posted on the Duratracs. Rubbing should not be too big of an issue with either tire as Nismo/Pro4x models come with ~32" tires from the factory.

General Grabber AT2 275/65R18

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.