How to Use Vacuum Pump to Bleed Brakes? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to Use Vacuum Pump to Bleed Brakes?

I purchased this product:

Amazon.com: Actron CP7830 Hand Vacuum Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP7830 Hand Vacuum Pump: Automotive

because I heard that it would ease the task of bleeding brakes.

When I've bled brakes systems before, I just did it the old fashioned way with two people, a wrench, some hydraulic fluid, some clear tubing, and a jar.

What I can't figure out is how I'm supposed to use the vacuum pump.

Any hints?

2006 Frontier LE CC 4x4 - Storm Grey | Volant CAI | *** GONE! ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Don't think you can use that one to bleed brakes without a vacuum jar/reservoir unfortunately. The one I have is a "Mighty Vac" and it came with a small vacuum jar attachment. The pump pulls a vacuum on the Jar, and the hose from the jar is routed to the bleed fitting on the caliper. You pump the vacuum handles until a 30" vacuum is reached, then slowly open the bleed fitting while still pumping. You'll see the brake fluid slowly make it's way to the jar. I just bleed it until the jar is full, close the bleed fitting, add more fluid to the master cylinder, empty vacuum jar then repeat until I got clean fluid in the jar with no bubbles!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SouthGA.Pro-4x For This Useful Post:
FitzIngarage (05-23-2012), stagolee (05-31-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I found that this product works so much better. Motive Products #1 Selling DIY Brake Bleeder
You fill the bottle up with whatever brake fluid you are using. Connect the cap to the reservior, start pumping till you get the bottle pressurized, then start bleeding the brakes one at a time in the order your service manual states. The pressurized bottle keeps the reservior full at all times, so there is no chance of a dry reservior.I use a 2 liter bottle with clear tubing connected to the bleeder nipple. It holds alot of dirty fluid, so less time spent dumping. This is the easiest one man job ever. No hand pumping other than pressurizing the bottle. Check out the youtube vids for DIYs. good luck

2006 Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4X4
K&N drop in filter w/ modded box, OEM hood deflector, WeatherTech window deflectors, WeatherTech digital fit mats (front/rear), PRG 2" spacers/PRG adjustable shackles (set @ 1.5"), OEM adjustable camber bolts, USA SPEC PA15-NIS iPod interface, Truxedo Truxport Tonneau cover

Last edited by Blackrabbit0888; 05-23-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackrabbit0888 For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

From my experience of the two already mentioned, the Motive bleeder is the better of the two. The Mityvac kinda sucks, but not so literally. It works, but by the time you bleed all four corners, your hand is about to fall off. The Motive is so simple and easy to use and the big tank means you dont need to constantly be pumping.
The Following User Says Thank You to mt.aero For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Never said it was easy, or I enjoyed doing it! And yes, is SUCKS. (No it really sucks.. bad.. hate it!)

I bought mine probably 8 years ago, before this fancy Motive Bleeder came on the scene.

Another viable option is installing SpeedBleeders, never used them, brother has, swears by em.. I leave it to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthGA.Pro-4x For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,123 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
I tried using my friends bleeder yesterday :
Amazon.com: Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit: Automotive

I just kept getting bubbles, and way more than I should have, since I have sued the bleeder before.. I think I need to replace my bleeder screws, they thread a little loose. I just went back to the good ol' 2 person method with a small piece of clear hose, worked like a charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGA.Pro-4x View Post
Never said it was easy, or I enjoyed doing it! And yes, is SUCKS. (No it really sucks.. bad.. hate it!)

I bought mine probably 8 years ago, before this fancy Motive Bleeder came on the scene.

Another viable option is installing SpeedBleeders, never used them, brother has, swears by em.. I leave it to you!
I have heard good things about that one! And it makes more sense to me to force the air out, then to suck it out..

-Nate
The Following User Says Thank You to x_mods For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Shift_Newbie

I like the Vacula... unfortunately you need an air compressor to make it work. It works awesome though!

2004 XE King Cab 4wd 5spd.
31x10.50R-15 Toyo M/T. PML. Air Box Mod. KS Relocation.
The Following User Says Thank You to bgolithon For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_mods View Post

I just kept getting bubbles, and way more than I should have, since I have sued the bleeder before.. I think I need to replace my bleeder screws, they thread a little loose. I just went back to the good ol' 2 person method with a small piece of clear hose, worked like a charm
I always had the same problem with the Mityvac. It loves to pull air from the threads around the bleeder nipple. My fix was to smear grease around the threaded area.
The Following User Says Thank You to mt.aero For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Motive is the way to go. It helps to use a different color brake fluid each time to see when all of the old fluid is out.

"What led you to conclude that police officers are different from anyone else who legally carries a gun?"--Skibane

2010 pioneer road-making truck
The Following User Says Thank You to Indian_scout For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Here u go. The easist one man bleeder..

2006 Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4X4
K&N drop in filter w/ modded box, OEM hood deflector, WeatherTech window deflectors, WeatherTech digital fit mats (front/rear), PRG 2" spacers/PRG adjustable shackles (set @ 1.5"), OEM adjustable camber bolts, USA SPEC PA15-NIS iPod interface, Truxedo Truxport Tonneau cover
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackrabbit0888 For This Useful Post:
stagolee (05-31-2012)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.