General Grabber A/T^2's - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
General Grabber A/T^2's

Hey all,

So, I like reading reviews of tires that are actually on the same vehicle I'm driving before I dive in to purchasing something as expensive at tires.

I'll be checking in every-so-often to update how these lovely beasts are wearing on my truck. I drive what's below in my sig. I bought the tires with about 124,000 on the odometer.

Got them through Discount Tire. They beat the competitors price.

So far, here's my analysis:

Day 1: They look fantastic. Meaty. They look like a tire you'd stop and admire on someone else's vehicle and think, "what kind are those?"

The mechanics at the shop didn't air up the tires as much as I'd probably put in myself. When I checked, I think they put them all at 32 PSI.

They felt a little spongy around corners, and I'd notice my truck seemed to lean quite a bit through the turn. That makes me uncomfortable, so I decided to put more air in them.

I now have them set at 40 PSI (the sidewall says max is 44). They are a lot firmer around corners. The ride is a lot firmer as well. You will definitely notice more bumps in the road. After driving around and letting the air in the tires heat up (drove about 2 hours on the highway), I checked the pressure again. They bumped up to about 42 PSI each.

I'm debating on dropping them to 38 PSI (cold). I think it'd be a nice in between.

The tires have a nice "whir" sound at slow speeds. They're not loud at all.

I have about 1,000 miles on them now, and they show no signs of wear as of yet. Only other update besides mileage is that they have gotten even quieter with the miles. Still set at 40 PSI.

(Can't update you on any snow/ice/rain handling because Oklahoma is having a horribly warm and dry season so far. As far as dry handling, I can't even get them to chirp unless I'm hauling *** around a corner)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 XE 3.3 V6 5-spd Manual, General Grabber A/T2s 265 70R15, Rancho 5000s

Aesthetic Mods: Nature's pinstripes and Lowe's shopping cart dents
The Following User Says Thank You to lane.mcpeak For This Useful Post:
spurly (12-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I love the At2's. Great tire. i think at those pressures you may get uneven wear. i set mine using the "chalk" method and found that around 30 - 33 was giving most even contact. Have 8000 KM on them and they still look new.

Last edited by DeadlySheds; 12-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

The lifted subaru guys love them ... awesome grip for the money.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Max pressure is for the tire. Generally not the idea psi for your truck, which is based on the weight abd weight distribution of the vehicle. Look on the inside door jam sticker for the ideal psi. At 42 psi you will most likey get some balloning of the tires and acclerated center wear.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan4Life For This Useful Post:
lane.mcpeak (12-05-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Yeah, I'm dropping the PSI a bit.

2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 XE 3.3 V6 5-spd Manual, General Grabber A/T2s 265 70R15, Rancho 5000s

#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
The lifted subaru guys love them ... awesome grip for the money.
Very true, I had them on my lifted Forester, 215/70R16, great tires, they did get very noisy though. They wear nicely, my forester was heavily modded and could get the front tires spinning pretty good from a dig (torque steered like a monster from a roll) and they held up to all of that abuse very well. Since i got the frontier though I left the summer tires on the forester to sell it and since the grabbers still have 75% or more tread on them I gave them to my girlfriend to use on her 2012 outback as winter tires. So far she's happy with them also even if they're a bit noisy.

I considered them for my frontier also, but they were 62lbs per tire for a 33" which was way heavier then many comperable tires, so I ended up going with BFG KM2's which were only 54lbs per tire and much more aggressive looking.

Also forgot to add that I ran mine on the forester at 40psi, and i'm still running them on my girlfriends outback at 40psi.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I love my AT2s on my Frontier. I did plenty of research online about different A/T tires and found that the AT2's seemed to beat the BFG A/T's in just about every category and cost way less. I've put about 2k miles on them so far. I started running about 35psi at all 4 corners but since bumped them up to 38psi. The ride is slightly rougher in terms of feeling all the bumps in the road, but it's a truck, it's not supposed to ride on a cloud. They do hum slightly bit but nothing that will make you go crazy, but I kind of like it. I am very impressed how they handle off road and have plenty of bite to take on what I've thrown at it. No problem pushing through mud, grass, rocks, etc during some mild to moderate off roading even in 2wd. I haven't had a chance to test them out in the snow yet, and may post a review of how well they do if I remember.

2008 Storm Grey SE 4x4

My 30 minute Banks Monster Exhaust review can be found on my youtube page:
www.youtube.com/spurly48
#8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Hardcore

lane.mcpeak, thanks for your support. We appreciate all of your opinions on the tire.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
The Following User Says Thank You to Discount Tire For This Useful Post:
lane.mcpeak (12-19-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I let out some of the air in the tires since my last post. I've got them set at 38 PSI. The ride is a lot better than when they were at 40.

I'm going to see how they wear at this PSI. I think they'll do fine. The ride is a perfect mix of soft and rough. They still have the quiet hum of new tread, and I like it. I'd say they've gotten quieter though!

Finally got to test them out in moisture as well. Handled beyond my expectations. In a straight line, I couldn't get them to break loose. Flying around corners, it took a lot of effort to get these to break loose, and when they did, it didn't last for long. This test was done after the first rain we've had in at least a couple months, so there was plenty of road grime and built up oil to make other cars (and bad drivers) slide around with ease.

Very impressed.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Shift_Newbie

I only ride Nokian Rotiivas on my fronty but still get General Grabber AT2's on my work trucks, toys, and wife's car. Good in winter, great all around. Bang for buck. Look forward to hearing your reviews!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.