Cooper Discoverer ATP vs. Falken Rocky Mountain ATS - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cooper Discoverer ATP vs. Falken Rocky Mountain ATS

I will be needing new tires in the near future, and i think i have it narrowed down. Either the Cooper Discoverer ATP or Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, both in 275/ 60r20. The only review on here that i have read about the Discoverers was good, and I have also heard alot of good about the Rocky Mountains. On Discount Tire Direct the price is basically the same on each. Nearly all of my driving is on the road but we do get a fair amount of snow and if the occasion occurs I would like to do some light off roading. Any suggestions or opinions?

Cooper Discoverer ATP Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Last edited by wrm989; 12-29-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottB1982
I just ordered the Falken Wild Peaks in 285/75/16 (look the same as the Rocky Mountains, only got slightly higher customer ratings,) but have not had an opportunity to test them out yet. I chose them over the Coopers since the price was better, there were lots of good ratings, and the tread looked like it would handle snow and rain a bit better. I also don't need an "E" rated tire, so the "D" rated Falkens worked better for me (hopefully they are a little lighter!) The Cooper ATPs look tough, but I would take the ones that would work better without you needing to air down, since you are on 20s. That is just my .02 cents! Good luck regardless of what you choose!

Chat for ClubFrontier Members HERE! http://xat.com/ClubFrontier

2011 Frontier CC SV V6- CST Spindles, 2" Deavers, 5125 bils, PRG adjustable shackles, 285/75R16 BFG ATs on Vision 375 Warriors, Midland 1001LWX CB radio w/ SH2P4 external speaker and 3' Firestick, N-Fab step bars, Hypertech, AEM DryFlow drop-in filter, custom bed-mounted Hi-Lift jack.

Last edited by ScottB1982; 01-13-2012 at 12:55 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Hardcore

Tough choice as both models are excellent for your needs. I think the ATP would be the route to go though. This model utilizes serpentine sipes which helps with winter traction giving it a slight edge over the Rocky Mountain. Both models ride well and handle great off-road.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
#4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Put 20k miles on my falken rocky mts. and have no complaints. Quiet on the highway and good traction when it's wet. Haven't done an serious off roading though, so can't help you there. They do look mean though.

07 Frontier NISMO CC Avalanche, NISMO CAI, PRG 2 inch Leveling Kit, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 2* Timing Advance, WeatherTech Floor Liners and Bug Deflector, Bed Extender, Stainless Steel Nerf Bars, Chrome Window Switch Covers, WRP Grounding Kit

"strawberry milkshake problem settlement"
#5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Shift_lurker

i would say get the Falkens i just got them about a week ago, they look great preform great on the road, and yesterday i went wheeling and they amazing in the mud i never got stuck not even close. On the rocks they do great too they grip very well i highly recommend them!
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDragon For This Useful Post:
wrm989 (12-31-2011)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my brother has the Falkens on his dakota.... he likes them so far on dry and wet pavement. no snow here yet

2009 Nissan Frontier
Pro-4X Brand New
1998 Camaro Z/28
Lots of Bolt ons 17"Drag Radials
#7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Shift_lurker

I just had Big O Tires install 4 Wildpeaks LT265/75R16e yesterday also got an alignment and nitrogen air. It was a tough decision Wildpeaks or Cooper ATPs. What sold me on the Wildpeaks were the videos especially the 900hp Suzuki SX4 that won the Pikes Peaks challenge last year. So far the ride is great on city/highway. Praying for snow in a couple of weeks going to South Lake Tahoe for a Birthday Party, so I can test it out on Snow and Mud.

2006 Frontier KC Nismo 6spd, True Dual Stainless Steel Magnaflow mufflers, *2 adv. timing, Injen intake, Falken Wildpeaks 265/75R16D, stock rims, TruXedo Lo Pro cover, hood and window deflectors

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.- LITANY AGAINST FEAR

Last edited by HAPINAZZ; 01-15-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.