Black Wheels(Help) - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black Wheels(Help)

I am wanting to know if there are any other ways to make your stock wheels black instead of plasti dippin' or powder coating. Plasti dippin' peels off over time and can chip. Powder coating is too expense. So please let me know. thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,014 Times in 718 Posts
I've heard of people using bed liner on their wheels before. I have no idea how durable it is for that use. I've also seen people paint them and they chip really bad. The nice thing with plastidip is that you can redo it pretty easy if it starts to peel or chip where paint or bed liner is not going to be as easy to remove and restart. From what I hear plastidip is pretty durable if you spray it on thick enough. x-mods did his wheels and seems to be very happy with them. I don't think anything is really going to hold up well over the long run other than powder coating.
The Following User Says Thank You to cstone For This Useful Post:
x_mods (02-01-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,154 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
Yea, mine are plasti dipped pretty thick. They are holding up good after 10 months now. I only have a little bit of peel on the inside of a few lug holes. And that is only because I have had to remove the wheels a good 8 or 9 times since then.

-Nate
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Anodize them.

Aluminum Anodizing - Available in Colors

I don't know what alloy they use for wheels, but it may work.

2008 SE 4WD, Crew Cab, Long Bed; Leer 180 Cap, 2" Receiver hitch, Trailer wiring in bumper. Cooper 245/75/16 M&S (Winter). Cooper 265/75R16 ATP (Summer). Full set of Hefty skids, TJM Coilover w/HD spring, SPC upper control arms and 2" rear add a leaf plus 1" block. TJM extended travel rear shocks. Pyle backup camera wired to a Pioneer radio.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Shift_Obsessed

#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Shift_Hardcore

i plasti dipped mine a long while ago and they are holding up good. same as xmod i have one or two chips in the lug holes because of me being in a hurry with the lug wrench. plastidip is the easies and cheapest and if they do chip it's an easy fix. powder coating from what i hear is expensive i've never had anyting powder coated. i used the rattle can bed liner spray from advance auto parts to spray the stock step tubes basically no prep work just make sure the surface is clean. i'm sure that would work on the wheels too but it would have that rough texture. other than that you can always sand them and spray paint them. i think they make spray paint specifically designed for wheels most likely found at pep boys or advanced or autozone, and online of course. for me sanding them would have been a PINA, in my opinion.
good luck.

2006 2wd LE crew cab. 6" suspension lift via CST spindles and prg spacers. removed sway bar, 1.5" rear block, 2"AAL, prg adjustable shackles. Knockoff magnaflo muffler, K&N intake system. Rattle can bedliner on the front grille, duplicolor orange-red on the grille, tailgate and wheel emblems. plastidip wheels. 285/70R17 goodyear duratrac tires. Calmini prerunner front bumper, Cobra CB radio. OEM bug deflector and vent visors. 1.25" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers on the rear to even out the track width front and back. bushwacker fender flares unpainted.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,154 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
Good thing with plasti dip, if it peels and you don't like it, it only cost you $7

For me to powdercoat my light bar mounts was $90. I think my place said wheels are $300 for everything including media blasting and powder primer if you are doing 4. $150 if you only do one?.

-Nate
The Following User Says Thank You to x_mods For This Useful Post:
bbaker06 (02-02-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my wheels have been plasti-dipped since Aug 2012 and they are holding up well. specially considering how much salt and the crappy roads are here in MO

Frontier Facebook group.
My Build Thread
LED Headlight Review Thread

2014 Chrysler Town and Country Touring-L - 20% Tint, AVS Vent Visors, 300 Watt RMS Sub
2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Purchased 3/5/2014 -SOLD 9/18/2014
2012 CC SV 4x4 - SOLD
#9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
I just used rustoleum wheel paint, its been on since may and I havent had any chips except on one rim when I got new tires. Besides that its held up surprisingly well

2007 Se, Titan Swap w/ Radflo 2.5s, Radflo Air Bumps, 2.0 Radflo rear resi's, Deaver 10 pack, Walker Evans Wheels
#10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: Fort Riley, Kansas (But hail from the great state of Louisiana!!)
I say plastidip. I spent 35 bucks, and had a can left over for touch ups. Had to plug a tire the other day, and stripped a little off with the lug wrench. Too easy, got my touch up can, 30 seconds later good as new. The stuff is amazing, and it is really idiot proof. It blends so well, not like trying to deal with paint. It's the only way to go if you are to cheap to actually get some wheels (like me) haha

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon manner, you command the attention of the world"

2008 NISMO Crew Cab
Leveling Spacer, Plasti-Dipped Rims, Blacked out tint all around, Flowmaster 40, AFE Intake & Throttle Body Spacer 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STT's

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.