Nissan Frontier Forum banner

My 09 RMZ - To Do List

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  RB46 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

As some as you know I have just bought a used 09 RMZ and it needs some TLC.

So I have a few questions that hopefully some of you might know and can answer. Since this is my first truck I have a ton of questions as I try to get a handle of how the truck should be and what it needs to get back to its original state.

The truck was in a minor rear side accident and most likely is a replacement bed and it is why it no longer has the RMZ decals. I suspect that it does not have the spray on liner under the plastic after market liner. I will be removing the bed liner once I figure out how to remove the plastic liner. Any tips before I search google?

I was wondering if the RMZ has tie downs in the bed? If not can I bolt them on? Or is that why they sell the after market tie rails system?
***Update***
Found the rope hook info on the forum.

I also want to get the hard top toneau cover, any recommendations and are they an easy install?

Here is my to do list:
Need under rear seat storage - need part number.
Need tire hub cap "S" - part number - on amazon but not sure what size the hub is. 54mm?
Need a jack - will prob go to junk yard for this.
Need the first aid kit - need part number. saw one on amazon but not sure if this is the correct one or not.
Want to get the Fog lights & need the on the steering column part number to remove the aftermarket switch on the lower left dash.
Need rear bumper step and license plate light cover - junkyard.
Undecided about side step bars at this point.
I want to make the flip key mod - but I only have 1 key and it is the black "S" key. Is that the valet key? If so, I guess I need to get a rear key for it with the chip? Any info on this would help me. I am planning on talking to the dealer tomorrow on this to see what they have to say. I am sure they will try to just sell me on the $300 new set of keys...
Ok, I am trying to figure out if the Alarm system is still active because the indicator symbol w/ the key in the middle of the truck light in the middle of the instrument panel does not light up. Should it at any point?
Also, when I turn the key on but do not start what lights should light up on the instrument panel? I do not see a check engine light, should I at this, like in my old mazda I would see the engine light come on and go off. I am seeing if I have a electrical issue.

So far I currently ordered the RMZ floor mats from the dealer and the 2 side decals for the truck bed. I can not wait for these!!!

edit**
I would like to add the bluetooth or the rockford oem stero system. I wonder if that is a just plug and play install. anyone know?

Thanks for any help on this laundry list of things to do.
Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
Black S key is indeed valet key - regular key is chrome S. Valet key should not open glove box or tailgate lock.
When vehicle off, my alarm indicator flashes intermittently when alarm is off.
All RMZ had utili-trac tie down system - rails along sides and front and two down bed with 4 removable cleats.
RF stereo included steering wheel controls, microphone in overhead console and roof mounted sat radio ant. - seems like lots of work for only fair head unit.

#3 ·
09eq,

Yeah the stereo does sound like a ton of work. :(
It is nice to dream every once in a while.
I will make sure I get that in the next truck I get :)

Thanks for the confirmation on the other questions I had.

RB

#4 ·
As far as the bedliner - Easiest thing to do is lower the tailgate, grab the middle of the plastic bedliner and lift it up to take a look underneath. A long screw driver or pry bay will help. A plastic drop in liner likely wouldn't fit with Utilitrac. I'm with you, its a replacement bed.

I think 54MM for the hub cover is correct. They didn't change thru the years.

Almost certain your 'check engine light' should come on (momentarily) when key is turned on.

There are often fog lights and turn signal stalks in the classified section here. You want the ones for a plastic bumper Frontier.

09eq is correct about the valet key. If your tailgate's been replaced because the bed was wrecked, chances are the old lock tumbler is still in the old one. In your owners manual or in one of the glove boxes/consoles, see if you can locate these small rectangular pieces of metal - they are the codes for the original, non-valet keys.

Your valet key has a chip in it, so Home Depot or Ace Hardware can clone that key's RF signature into two new ones. Cheaper and easier than $300 dealer keys.

Look into the Nissan Rogue key mod thats popular here. The lock/unlock buttons are built into the head of the key, no need for fobs. I peeled the Nissan logo off mine & replaced it with a Suzuki logo off of another key.

I had a Roll-N-Lock cover for a while. Kind of the best of a soft and hard cover combined. Lot of the guys here swear by the tri-fold Extang or something like that.

#5 ·
Forgot to mention, but please put bypassing the transmission line @ the radiator on the TOP of your to-do list. Takes all of 5-10 minutes, $0.00. Long story short, there is a transmission line that runs thru the bottom of the radiator. Its known to fail, leaving you with a transmission full of antifreeze with no warning. Nissan extended a warranty for Frontier guys, but Suzuki didn't. I put over 50K miles on mine bypassed, no issues. I towed on a regular basis, live in an area where winters are -10°F and summer is 110°F. They call it SMOD, or strawberry milkshake of death.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...mination-05-10-models-means-bypass-now-57547/

#6 ·
Ahh man, after reading the link you provided I have noticed the rumble strip vibrations.....
I hope it's not this...

I have setup a appointment for tomorrow at the suzuki dealer.
I will check the radiator before I leave work today to see what it looks like.

I will see if suzuki will do the bypass tomorrow.
keeping my fingers crossed.

I will keep you posted. :/
RB

#7 ·
Here are a few pics of my radiator. My question is this: is the radiator hose suppose to go back into the radiator, is that the bypass? That is how mine is currently setup. I hope i posted the correct picture. Should i post under the frontier forum for this? Thanks RB

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.