Intermittent no-start - to make your head hurt. - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most likely bad ecm, got mine going tonight with a hairdryer.

Alberta Xterra (& frontier) Enthusiasts http://www.thenewx.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

2010 pro 4x CC - Titan Swapped, Shrock front w/ XRC-8 comp winch, Calmini rear, Hefty Sliders & Skids, Safari style snorkel, XTP IMS,, Bilstein 5125, Alcan Leaf pack w 3" lift & 300 lbs added payload, CVT roof top tent, 255/85/16 KM2's(summer) 285/75/16 Duratracs (winter).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Garage
Humz, I should have followed your advice much sooner - ECM: Sad, but apparently true. For the last few days I've heat-gunned it a few times in the truck and/or removed it any time I leave the truck sit more than a few hours. I bring it inside to keep warm. This seems to have fixed the problem which means that it is my ECM also. (I did the same thing with the IPDM - did not fix).

I've contacted the local Nissan dealer with my truck info and asked if they could get me a new ECM. They had to contact a Suzuki dealer to try to source one (eventhough the ECM has a Nissan part number on it) $744 + $100 to reprogram.

I've tried to find an ecm with the correct part number on ebay, but can't find anything with the same part number (although many look the same and come from trucks of the same year and options). Can anyone tell me if any of these are actually compatible with my truck? I also found a guy with a rebuild service who appears to do a legitimate business on ebay - any thoughts?

Last edited by A_B_E_M_A_N; 01-08-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: to give credit to another poster for a good idea.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Does your local Nissan dealer not understand that your truck was built by Nissan and not Suzuki? Except for the badging and some different body panels it's a Frontier.

2010 Frontier SE V6 CC LWB 4x2, built 04-2010, purchased 07-2010
Current mods: OEM foglight kit, WeatherTech molded floor mats f/r, locking gas cap, OEM locking lug nuts, Clarion CX501 and Sirius Connect SC-C1, OEM mud flaps/splash guards, 3in. round blind spot mirrors, Nissan logo valve stem caps, rad/trans cooler bypass, rear axle vent mod, custom lower grill insert using black mesh gutter guard material, OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/temp & compass, OEM hood protector/bug shield, 35% tint on both front windows and a windshield strip, OEM body side molding, OEM step rails, 7in. tall metal radio antenna, OEM front tow hooks (true left and right hook), OEM rope hooks in the bed, OEM special edition emblem added to tailgate.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Garage
Oh, they know. I've had it there for this problem - for a week. They couldn't get the problem to replicate. I needed it back for something, so I went and got it (about 50 miles away), then the problem came back a week later. Today, I even sent them pictures of the ECM with the PN and Nissan logo in clear view - no dice. They couldn't do anything with the PN. (or maybe WOULDN'T???)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Sounds like you may need to find a different dealer, if there's another one in your area.

Do a search of the part number here http://www.courtseyparts.com/

This is a site sponsor and a Nissan dealer. If it shows up on their site your dealer can get it.

2010 Frontier SE V6 CC LWB 4x2, built 04-2010, purchased 07-2010
Current mods: OEM foglight kit, WeatherTech molded floor mats f/r, locking gas cap, OEM locking lug nuts, Clarion CX501 and Sirius Connect SC-C1, OEM mud flaps/splash guards, 3in. round blind spot mirrors, Nissan logo valve stem caps, rad/trans cooler bypass, rear axle vent mod, custom lower grill insert using black mesh gutter guard material, OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/temp & compass, OEM hood protector/bug shield, 35% tint on both front windows and a windshield strip, OEM body side molding, OEM step rails, 7in. tall metal radio antenna, OEM front tow hooks (true left and right hook), OEM rope hooks in the bed, OEM special edition emblem added to tailgate.

Last edited by yesterdaysradios; 01-08-2015 at 08:23 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Garage
Is it possible I've found the problem, but the unit is not the ECM? The thing is located right next to the IPDM mounted vertically. Aluminum case with two large plugs on one end. This is the ECM, right?

Last edited by A_B_E_M_A_N; 01-08-2015 at 08:28 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Garage
Pictures of my "ECM"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150108_104810.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	117001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150108_091619.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	117009  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,754 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Despite you pointing the finger at the ECM I thought I'd throw this up just for another option.
I had very similar issues.
Hard crank, cold made it worse, rough idle, stalling.
It was an ECM relay located on the IPDM.
Dealer will want to replace the whole IPDM, they consider it a non-serviceable item even though relays and fuses pop right off the board.
On our Frontiers the ECM relay and foglight relay can be swapped in under 5 minutes to see if that fixes it.
The bad ECM relay on the IPDM is known to be an "early year" issue for Frontiers, specifically 2005 and 2006 model years, but bad ECM relays have occured on years beyond those.
If the ECM relay is not properly sealed it can become corroded over time so the symptoms can come on rather gradually (hence cold whether affecting it the worse it gets).
If you swap and that fixes the issue just make sure you buy the correct relay for the ECM and don't use the foglight relay any longer than necessary.
There is a difference between the two relays and the ECM relay has a diode that prevents back surges to the ECM whereas the foglight relay does not.

I may be wrong in this diagnosis, but hey, it's a free test to see if this is the problem or not.
BTW the new relay I bought was $4.40 delivered vs. replacing the whole IPDM board at the stealership for big bucks ($300 plus from what I know).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out please, the more info shared here the more valuable this forum becomes.

Below is a (borrowed) picture of our (Frontier) IPDM and the location of the two fuses to swap.
The two on the left are the ones, pay no attention to the ignition relay highlighted.
Your IPDM block/board may look different, this is just for reference.
The IPDM (which I'm sure the OP knows by now) is located under the hood in the fuse box left side for those that don't know.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on or

Last edited by ToddG; 01-09-2015 at 12:47 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Garage
ToddG, I actually had come upon this possible solution early on in my search for answers, but quickly killed it after I realized that I have no ECM relay. The picture you post is of an earlier generation IPDM than the one that is in my truck. Mine is black (instead of white, like these are) and mine has a completely different layout.

Back on the ECM front:

I was lucky enough to find one on Ebay that matched the PN I needed. I ordered it and a few days before it was to arrive, I called the Suzuki dealer (because Nissan claimed they couldn't program an ECM for an Equator). Suzuki checked if they could do it, decided they could, and in the process, uncovered an 8yr/80k ECM warranty! My truck goes in two days from now to get it replaced brand new, OEM. I was able to return the used ECM for a refund.

Fingers crossed, I will never have this issue again!
The Following User Says Thank You to A_B_E_M_A_N For This Useful Post:
Iair (12-27-2015)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Garage
Follow up: the new ECM did the trick. It's been a year now and I never had a reoccurrence of the issue. Than you all for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to A_B_E_M_A_N For This Useful Post:
ToddG (12-29-2015)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Equator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.