Nissan Frontier Forum banner

New Member with a Question (Problem)

3K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Ultramagnetic 
#1 ·
Just joined today and I honestly don't know my way around the forum.
Not much to say. I live in Lubbock TX, and I'm retired.
I have a new 2016 Nissan Frontier 4X4 SV Crew Cab. I absolutely love this truck ! Anyway, I now have 3k miles on it and I am hearing a slight clunking sound at 8-12 mph just coasting. I can only hear it "coasting" at that speed. The sound can come and go. It will do it in 2 wheel drive or 4. The noise is heard like in a rotation of the drive train someway. I jacked the front wheels up and rotated (turned) the wheels and hear nothing. I looked at different components for looseness and everything looks good. Tires look good. Hopefully someone can help me with the problem. I didn't want to go back to the dealer unless I have to. I thought it just might be characteristic of the truck in some way. Truck drives great. No issues other than the one I just talked about.
Please help !!

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the club!

If it only happens once at around 12 or 13mph after you start the car and begin to drive, it is the ABS (Anti-lock braking system) doing a self test. For mine this happens at 13mph and the doors lock at 14 or 15mph. At rapid acceleration you will only here the doors lock because the 2 sounds happen so close together.

Does that sound like that could be it? It might not be because you said "clunking" and this would be a single clunk, but just thought I would mention it.

#3 ·
Another remote-ish possibility:

IFF you have the Utilitrack system in your truckbed, the plastic slide-in bed inserts can cause a strange flapping/clunking sound under some conditions. Freaked me out in my new '15 thinking I had something wrong...UNTIL I removed them. Voila!

#4 ·
Still need some help !

Thanks for the replies, and they are good to know.
It's not the utili-track and not the ABS.
I drove it again this morning and got it up to 20+ and started coasting. When the sound started (coasting) I took it to Neutral and the sound was even louder and more dominate. It will do it coasting in drive, 2 wheel or 4 wheel and then become come more pronounced in Neutral.
So I got to thinking it could be a u-joint. Got under the truck and the 4 wheel u-joints are without any play. Went to the back with the truck in Neutral and the u-joint next to the transfer case (not the one by the rear differential) had what I call normal slop turning back and forth, but it also had some play movement (again, not from the normal slop back and forth). The play seemed to be more in the u-joint and not the shaft where it goes into the case.
So, what do you guys think???
If nothing else, maybe I will have some good information and a faster diagnosis when it goes to the dealer.
Thanks to all for replies and experienced help !
I am by no means a mechanic !

#5 ·
Nissan NOT KNOWING

Well just an update on my sound/problem.
Dealer can't diagnosis the problem.
Hears the noise (which is not normal), has spent 2 days with the vehicle and can't figure it out.
I got a 30K $$ brand new truck with 3K miles and they are stumped.
Said they would have to get the factory involved.
Now how about that sports fans ??

#10 ·
Yes, but I have been taking mine home sometimes (appointments or when they aren't working on it or over the weekend (s) and Thanksgiving so that it won't set outside for God knows what can happen to it in waiting. It's brand new and I would like to keep it that way. I own it, but I'm sure it's just another vehicle to them and others shopping around on the sales lot.

#11 · (Edited)
Sounds like it's drive shaft related, coasting takes the tq off the shaft. I would not drive it. This may be new to your dealer, not a new problem and not limited to Nissan...

https://www.google.com./?gfe_rd=cr&...lunking+noise+when+coasting+louder+in+neutral

It's also been talked about on this site...

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...rch.php?searchid=13639394&ss=12898j6465180j40

Here's more info...

Quick Guide to Diagnosing Differential & Driveline Noises - OnAllCylinders

Please post the final result

#12 ·
Thanks for the reply!! Makes sense to me ! I had an online Nissan mechanic (14 years at the trade and not at this dealership) tell me to tell them to take the driveshaft off, then run it in 4 wheel drive to eliminate the shaft and rear end differential. I told my service dealer this and they did not take it off to see.
He says they have checked this out and all seems good. I know they have checked the drive train out with Steelman Chassis Ears. They do not seem to appreciate my input. I can't do anything myself because it would void my warranty. With the driveshaft off they could have at least eliminated the rear drivetrain of the truck.
I'm getting a headache again !!!

#15 ·
update

It is still back in the hands of Nissan (District Service Tech) out of Dallas, TX.
Dealer service dept. here tells me that it will probably be after New Years before he will come to look at my truck. Go figure ?
It's been over two weeks now, and can you believe I got to wait another month. Dealership here says, drive it, I don't think it will be a safety issue.
The noise is there and getting worse, but the dealer here plays it off as characteristic of the beast.

#17 ·
Exactly, like smelling smoke but not knowing where the fire is; it'll either get worse and be easy to find, or go away and not be a problem.

GNW - once this problem is fixed and you're feeling the love again do post pictures of your new truck, if you like. We like to see them.

#18 ·
Having worked at Nissan as a service tech, my advice to you would be to drive the truck with the technician. Show him, or her, EXACTLY what you are talking about- how to drive the vehicle to make the concern happen. Also, this is a brand new truck. Give the dealer a chance to reconcile this issue. There are many factors that come into play when trying to diagnose a "never had this concern ever." New parts vendor, bad lot, you got the "built on Friday" truck. I'm not sure if Texas has a "Lemon Law" but here in Hawai'i, we as the dealer have 3 chances to repair the same concern. After that, the dealer may be obligated to buy back the vehicle.

I do understand that going to the dealer is a pain in the butt. Even I need to check my truck into the service department for warranty covered items. Having said all of that, if you think it's a drive shaft problem, try removing the front shaft and duplicating the concern. If the noise is still there, you'll at least know it's in the rear driveline or the transfer case.

Hope this helps :)

#19 ·
I do appreciate your reply.
I have driven this truck with the service writer and he drove and showed the service manager, and the service director at the dealership. They all acknowledged the noise/problem. The dealership owner drove it with another employee and then told me it wasn't something to worry about. I then got the owner to humor me and ride with me. He heard the noise with me driving (I know the truck). He said I didn't hear that before but I do now and you got a problem.
I can do nothing myself to the truck because it would void my warranty (I am told). I am giving them time to reconcile the problem. Going on three weeks now and I am told it will be after the 1st of the year before a district tech will look at it. After that?

#20 ·
Yes Sir, you are correct. If you touch it and the dealer figures that out, no warranty. When somebody else is footing the bill, you are on their timeline. It is good that you got the owner involved. Usually when it gets to that level, it either gets repaired or you get a new truck. Test driving with all these dealership "entities" is a really good way to get your concern documented. Although, the best person to demonstrate your concern to is the TECHNICIAN. Ultimately, he is the one who has to duplicate the concern, perform the corrective action, and verify the repair. Also understand that most techs do not like to interact with customers for whatever reason. It has been my personal experience that talking to the customer about their concerns is the best way to to know how to repair their vehicle. All I needed the advisor to do was the paperwork. I hope you mange to get your issues resolved. With the owner involved, you might get a new truck out of it :p Worst case scenario, you own a "Friday" truck with some character.

Happy Holidays :)

#21 ·
What do you all think about this ???

While I am in waiting on a service tech from dallas to diagnosis I have been driving the truck in and out of 2 and 4 wheel drive (I thought something just might need to be limbered up being a brand new truck. I noticed that at 15 mph coasting (best speed to hear noise) in 2 wheel drive in gear and in neutral I hear the noise. In 4 wheel drive at the same speed coasting, I put it in neutral and do not hear the noise. So I am thinking the problem is probably in the front 4 wheel drive components????
What do you think? I would love to have opinions.

#22 ·
update on my warranty noise

No big news, but I did contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and the lady I spoke to got me an appointment with the District Service Tech on (listen to this) the 20th of January. That is about 9 weeks since I reported the problem !!
You just got to love NISSAN !! I can't wait until he gets here !! The noise is there big time !! I will be so glad when the fiasco is over !!
Yesterday, I like got sick when I saw the FJ Cruiser I trade the Frontier for.
I love the pickup but the problem (Nissan) has got my goat.

#23 ·
No big news, but I did contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and the lady I spoke to got me an appointment with the District Service Tech on (listen to this) the 20th of January. That is about 9 weeks since I reported the problem !!
You just got to love NISSAN !! I can't wait until he gets here !! The noise is there big time !! I will be so glad when the fiasco is over !!
Yesterday, I like got sick when I saw the FJ Cruiser I trade the Frontier for.
I love the pickup but the problem (Nissan) has got my goat.
sucks to hear about your issues. When got my 15 pr0-4x last year at this time i went through hell with Nissan. My truck leafs springs were bad, a bunch of rattles and a noise coming from the rear that Nissan could not figure out.

Bottom line is that they avoided my calls until i filed a lemon law suit against them. After that they replaced my entire rear end of the truck and all the problems went away.

Hope that does not turn out to be your case but if it does do not think twice.

I love my truck to death but nissan has ruined the feel good aspect of owing it. keep us posted on what nissan decides.

#24 ·
Arthur thanks for your reply. Now I don't feel so alone !
At the dealership here I have been treated like a leper. Their take on the noise since they can't diagnosis it is, "just drive it normally and you won't hear it". They know the noise is there but they just don't want to deal with it. I told the Service Director there one afternoon that it would be repaired if I had to get a lawyer and he said, " Let me tell you this, if you do we are out of it, it will be just you and Nissan". Like you said, Nissan has ruined that feel good aspect of owning it.

#25 ·
thats how the dealership was treating me too until i started recording my drives and catching all the noises on video. They knew it was there but could not replicate it so they ignored it. The dealership did everything they could and for that i am thankful. I can't say for sure but you are looking at a long road ahead. Try to record your issues if you can and keep every bit of paper they have ever given you.

#26 ·
UPDATE - 1 1/2 months later

Well, well, well, I have waited 1 1/2 months now for the tech rep to come to town. He came and he said you got a mechanical noise there. So, they disconnected the front drive shaft and put it back on to no avail. Then they said the right front hub seems a little tight so we will overnight it in. Next day, put it on and no fix there. Now, I am told they are ordering the front differential and have no date when it will come in. Totally, I have been out of a truck for a little over 9 weeks now and counting. Remember though the dealer said just drive it normal (like stop and go) and you won't hear that noise. Tech Rep. said I just can't believe they told you that with that noise.
I'm no mechanic but it looks to me like they would have done the obvious first. Just Say'in !!!!!

#27 ·
Sounds like the Tech Rep has it handled. From my experience, the Tech Rep is the only person that can make the recommendation to "buy back" the vehicle. So it looks like if the issue is not resolved, you might get a new truck out of it :) I'm not sure how Lemon Laws work in Texas, but here in Hawai'i, it is pretty straight forward and I've dealt with a lot of vehicles that were "buy backs." Hopefully it all works out for you. Nissan trucks are pretty good even though they are Made in America :p

#30 ·
End of the Rainbow

Problem fixed. Got another new truck.
Dealership/Nissan could not fix or diagnosis the problem so we traded.
I ask my salesman what they would do with my old truck and he said they would put it on the used lot and sell it. I wanted to get a key holder (hidden) from it and he said it was being detailed and would have to wait until it came back from the detail shop. Couple days later I talked to him and he said the truck had been sent to their dealership in Wichita, KS. I said, What? Why?
He said that they probably wanted to get it as far way from Lubbock, TX as possible. Whoever buys the truck in Wichita will reap of rewards of a POS.

#31 ·
It didn't sound like a very fun ordeal to go through, but glad you got a new truck and in the end it worked out ok.

Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new ride.

Post a pic when you get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.