Nissan Frontier Forum banner

New 2015 Pro-4X

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  FortSteel 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. We just brought home a brand new white Pro-4X. Sure is beautiful!
Bought it over a Tacoma TDR because of the better interior layout and seats. We used to own a 2000 Taco TDR and it was a good truck but it sucked on long drives. The newer Tacos aren't any better and have poor sight lines.

There are a couple things I'm not happy with, the first and most annoying is that Nissan of Canada does not sell the Pro-4X with the six speed manual! I hate automatics! It will bother me every time I drive the truck.
A manual just performs better. I really don't understand why there are so many automatics. I guess it's all those lazy drivers;-)
The other is the wind noise. I was really hoping the cabin would be quieter in a brand new truck.
This is our first new vehicle in over 20 years. I'm used to road/wind noise in my older Syncro Vanagon and Geo Tracker and expected better from a new truck. I know it's not a sedan or a luxury ride but I'm a bit disappointed.
Yes we did drive the truck before buying so I knew what we were getting. The new Taco was a bit quieter but that was not enough to overcome the other problems with the Tacoma. (like no rear disc brakes, no hand brake, crappy seats, hand holds in the rear crew cab that hit your head, etc.)

We bought the truck to tow a fiberglass trailer (18' Oliver or 19' Escape) and one other point against the Frontier is the lack of a towing package compared to the Taco. (Tacoma gets a extra oil cooler, higher amp alternator, and larger rad.) But, again we liked the Fronty better overall.

So, here we are and good luck to us!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. Good decision. You won't be disappointed in the long run.

I feel the same way about standard over automatic. So hard now days to find a standard. I think it's a lost art to drive a standard. I looked and looked and only found 1 in standard and it was like 300 miles from me.

#3 ·
Welcome. I just bought a new 2015 Pro4X myself, my second Frontier. As for wind noise, maybe it was just a bad day? I actually bought the Frontier because it was so quiet inside. In fact a recent comparison test in a major publication (that was heavily biased towards the new Colorado) confirmed that the Frontier with a roof rack and sunroof was more quiet inside than both the Colorado and Tacoma (neither of which had roof racks or sunroofs). Enjoy the new Frontier!

#4 ·
Comparison: Chevrolet Colorado vs. Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma Page 2

"I was most surprised the Nissan's roof rack (installed as part of the $2,100 Pro-4X Luxury Package) didn't adversely affect cabin noise since the truck turned out to be the quietest during a 65-mph cruise (23.9 sones). It's peaceful as long as the V-6 isn't trying to accelerate the truck. The Chevy and Toyota managed 24.7 (3 percent more than Frontier) and 27.1 sones (13 percent more)."

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome and post pictures if you care to.

I agree about cabin noise. It's not terrible but if I could change one thing it would be to improve that. One member here, who I haven't seen post in a while, did a very detailed job of documenting the addition of sound reduction panels. His name is Rich and you can probably find him under the build threads.

I hope you are exaggerating or turn out to be wrong when saying the auto "will bother me every time I drive the truck." That would really take the edge off the pleasure of ownership. I enjoy my manual 6sp but I don't tow and would have thought the auto a better choice for doing that with 18' and 19' trailers. But I don't really know that. I agree it would be nice if Nissan gave us the choice.

#6 ·
By wind noise, are you hearing leaks from around the windows or doors...or are you perceiving wind noise from other sources? I recall another poster saying that the dealer simply adjusted the door to suppress the noise they were encountering. Therefore, you truck just might need some minor tweaking. Keep us posted, please.

Enjoy your new truck!

#7 ·
Good point. I was commenting on cabin noise in general and actually I think it is more road noise I find objectionable, especially when driving on concrete highways. Tarmac is much better. Still, I wish it were quieter - like I need a Lincoln Limo Frontier. ::smile::

#10 ·
Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone!

On the cabin noise, it's wind noise coming from door seals. When we took possession of the truck I checked the fit of all the doors very carefully (excellent fit all around!) and the condition of the seals (all good), so I believe the fitting of the doors is as good as can be expected. If they tried to align the doors any different then the fit lines would not be as consistent.

I'll try to find Rich's thread on noise suppression.

While we were still in the looking stage we drove a 2014 Pro-4X that was a dealer demo with 14,000 kilometers on it. Very nice truck and well taken care of, but it did have bad wind noise from the roof rack. The dealer went back and replaced the moonroof seal which seemed to help. We ended up missing out on that truck as we looked at other options. (wrong color anyway!)

Our noise is definitely coming from front door area. It's not so bad as to be a problem. Just thought a brand new truck would be better.

Yes, the KingCab comes in a manual, but not the CrewCab :evil:

First thing up is to rustproof the truck with Fluid Film. I've been using this product for several years now on our classic Syncro Vanagon since we moved to road salt hell (East Kootenay B.C.)
Was wondering if anyone has a layout of the Frontiers chassis corrosion treatment plan. Our Syncro factory service manual has a layout of all the points the factory recommends inserting a inner panel wand to spray rustproofing.
Anyone have a Frontier factory service manual?

I'll post some pics of our new beauty as soon as I figure out how to.

#11 ·
First thing up is to rustproof the truck with Fluid Film. I've been using this product for several years now on our classic Syncro Vanagon since we moved to road salt hell (East Kootenay B.C.)
Was wondering if anyone has a layout of the Frontiers chassis corrosion treatment plan. Our Syncro factory service manual has a layout of all the points the factory recommends inserting a inner panel wand to spray rustproofing.
Anyone have a Frontier factory service manual?
Will recommend you post this question where you'll get more traffic...perhaps in General Discussion.

I'd like to know the answers to this as well. I definitely dig Fluid Film...but how long does that fruity-ISH smell linger after a treatment of that magnitude?

#12 ·
You won't notice the smell at all after a day or so. The stuff is made from wool oil (lanolin), is non-toxic, (but wear a respirator) and sort of waxy. If applied correctly it won't drip.
It does remain wet so will attract dust and works best as an inner panel spray but can be used just about anywhere. Avoid the exhaust system, shocks, and rubber seals.
I spray the whole underside of my van with it every fall (avoiding areas mentioned) and then wash any attracted dirt off in the spring. It is not a permanent undercoating and will wear away anywhere there is a constant spray of water, but has fantastic "creep" so it flows into crevices (like between folded steel seams) and stops rust from beginning.

#13 ·
Thanks. Do you use aerosol cans of FF to spray it...or another method?

#14 ·
Might be worth asking the dealer to check the wind noise issue just in case. My '13 CC was very quiet when I bought it at a year old. Even now with clamp on roof racks (that disrupt the fit of the seals) there is very little noise. When it very windy out or at highway speeds there is some noticeable noise, but not even to the level I would consider annoying (your tolerances may vary). The only time I get what I consider really noticeable wind noise is when I have the canoe strapped on...

Maybe it's a consistency issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.