Nissan Frontier Forum banner

High Mileage Frontier

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  AutoAnything 
#1 ·
Just joined and wanted to ask a question or 2. I have an '03 Frontier XE Crewcab 2wd 5 spd that I bought almost 2 years ago and am the 3rd owner of this truck. Just recently it started burning through oil and I have to add about a 1/2 qt. every week driving to work. It has 217,000 miles on it and has been a dependable truck. I took it to Colorado the first summer I had it and ran great. Since the oil use has gone up just recently at around 211,000, trying to decide if I should look into replacing engine or look at finding a replacement for the truck. I hate to get rid of it since everything works on it, including the A/C which still works like a champ here in Texas. This is the 2nd used Frontier I have owned. Previously had a '99 with 4 banger in it and did great for me. Also I have had engine code indicating faulty knock sensor on this truck but did not want to replace sensor at the cost of tearing engine apart before the oil issue. I have added oil stop leak to oil on my last oil change, which is slowing the consumption, but not stopping it. Any helpful words?
Thanks

#2 ·
Are there actual oil leaks in addition to your engine burning oil? Blue smoke or not?
My '00 2.4 5sp w/ 178K consumes some oil...but I've yet to actually see any blue smoke.
I can't say I'm a believer in any oil additives, but it is important to keep changing your oil AND filter due to the oil and its additives breaking down over time.

#4 ·
If it runs fine and doesn't leave cloud of smoke behind you, I'd just keep adding oil. Can add a lot of oil for what any work will cost and might have future non-engine problems too.

#5 ·
While true, $100 for a mechanic to do a leakdown test will let you know what the issue is. THEN a person can make a decision on how to proceed.

But... In the end, you do have an 11 (soon to be 12) year old vehicle with over 200K miles on it. So more than likely depending on actual value of the vehicle, you may just be in the adding oil all the time boat.

#7 ·
200 plus it could be a rear main seal
My sister Honda Civic had that issue never had oil on the ground but when you go under the car it had more sludge on the block than inside the block.
I would just keep it, run it in the ground.
Look at this way you are doing a oil change just replace the oil filter every other month.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
I guess if this was me I'd think this way.

1. Is the truck with keeping or trading?

2. Could you put in 3K-5k and feel that the truck is worth keeping for another 5+ yrs. Just get a new engine and tranny.

3. If the engine is worn it would be best to replace the tranny too.

4. Would it be worth trying to re-engineer the truck with another motor tranny? I would have to leave this up to someone else cause I do not have the time and or space.

#11 · (Edited)
Before you start pouring money into it, either trade it or sell it yourself. The two quarts of oil you're adding per month is far cheaper than any major repair/replacement. Also, since you're not seeing any leaking on the ground stop using the mechanic in a bottle, that could actually cause more problems than it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.