2000 Frontier - Wipers not working - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Frontier - Wipers not working

Hello all. New here and hoping for some help.

I have a 2000 Frontier and the wipers don't work. Intially when I first worked on the problem it turned out the linkage bushing was bad. The motor still turned, the bushing was just worn out and popped off.

I picked up a new one at Autozone, I was a little concerned it only said ALtima on the packaging, but the guy swore it was for my car. It seemed to fit but it was almost impossible getting it on, and I chewed it up a bit getting it on. However, it did work for many months until it again popped off.

So here I am again with the same problem. Motor still turns but the white bushing keeps popping off. A few ideas I have at this point are:

The Autozone part was not correct, or just of poor quality and I should go to Nissan to get the actual bushing.

My girlfriend decided to take it upon herself to take it upon herself to have some shadetree mechanic look at it. He said it was the wiper transmission and it would cost $300-$600 to fix, which I think is quite wrong.

I'm thinking a trip to Nissan to get their bushing is worth a shot. Its just a pain to install, given the lack of space. Last time I think we eventually got it on by using a mallet and a makeshift chisel to beat the bushing on.

Some thoughts and tips to get the wipers working again would be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I helped my coworker change his wiper linkages on an xterra and we ended up using some channel locks to squeeze the bushings on.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hello and welcome to the club.

2012SL 6spd 4x4 Lava Red
Old Rides CF PIXS

#4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think I got them on pretty well this time. There's obviously some difference between the OEM Nissan bushings and the generic replacement ones I tried before.

Apparently Nissan only sells the linkage with the 2 bushings now, however its still only about $14 each and them come pre-greased. I should have replaced both, however the driver side shows no real sign of wear.

I do notice now that the wipers seem to "drag" a bit, I guess they might just be old since I was careful not to tighten the arm bolts too much. Also, I seated them fairly low and the driver wiper tip still seems to go off the glass. I may just try and lower it a tad more or downsize the wiper blade, maybe I got too big last time.

I'm embarrassed to say how long I've haven't had wipers for and Rain X has become a dear friend. Hopefully this time around they will hold up.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.