1st and last Nissan - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st and last Nissan

Hello everyone, name is Joe from central NY. I bought my 2014 CC sb new in Nov 2014. Until recently I didn't hate my truck but I've never been excited about it like I have past vehicles. The seat fabric is horrible and makes them uncomfortable. The steering feels weird, handles corners like crap, and you better be ready if you hit a bump without any weight in the rear! Be careful doing an oil change cause that skid plate is mighty sharp and there's not much room to get a hand and arm in there for the filter. I have owned 3 Ford Rangers, a F-150, and a Ram 1500. All of those where better handling and felt better driving. Now don't get me wrong, the truck has some good attributes as well! There's no lack of power! The utilitrac system is great.

In the last month my feelings have turned to hatred. I had the battery light and brake lights come on together and the battery gauge reads low. This has happened several times, usually after going through a car wash but also in the morning after a heavy dew. First time it happened I drove 18 miles straight to a dealership, they told me nothing was wrong, the battery just needed a charge. I was furious with the way the dealership treated me. Then it happened again, the dealership wanted me to bring it in so they could look at it but couldn't offer me a loaner vehicle. What is the point of buying a new vehicle if under the factory warranty it has issues and you can't get a loaner vehicle? The lights pretty much stay on as long as the truck is running, if you've driven it about 10 miles or so and shut it off, they won't be on when you start it up again. After my frustration I decided to try another dealership when the light came on again. This time my pregnant wife took it and was going to wait because again, no loaner vehicle unless the repair will take more than 2 days. They took a quick look and told her there was going to be a $100 charge because there is an electric brake controller that was not installed by them and that was the problem (without any diagnosis)I told her to leave! I installed the controller without splicing any wires, the truck came with a towing package and all wiring was there and I bought the plug to go from the controller to the factory harness. The controller is mounted inside the truck, but the lights only come on when the truck gets wet. Even if it's a problem with the wiring going to the trailer plug that's all factory and if it wasn't designed to be used it shouldn't have been put there. I think the problem is either the alternator or possibly a tensioner as the power steering also sounds funny when the lights are on. I've done some digging around and I'm definitely not the only one this has happened to and it's not just a Frontier problem, many Nissan owners have had the same issue and it turned out to be the alternator. My concern is that my truck has just over 30k miles on it and by the time the problem is constant the warranty will be up and I will be stuck with the bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:12 PM
R00
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pretty easy to test an alternator. Get a voltage meter and measure the output.

R00
a.k.a. MakTruk
Overland Bound #0912

"Enthusiasm is a dangerous replacement for experience." -- BCBrian
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Thanked 1,225 Times in 781 Posts
Garage
So, it rides and drives like a truck and after 2 years, you have a bad battery or corroded terminals? yup, pure junk....

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:51 PM
R00
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
So, it rides and drives like a truck and after 2 years, you have a bad battery or corroded terminals? yup, pure junk....
The headlight thing totally sounds like a ground issue...

R00
a.k.a. MakTruk
Overland Bound #0912

"Enthusiasm is a dangerous replacement for experience." -- BCBrian
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
First post, not a positive one that's for sure, SMH. All vehicles are going to need some maintenance here and there besides PM. I'm totally with Shizzy. You didn't say how you left a map light on by mistake or something like that. It's just a battery that needs a good complete charge, or maybe it has a bad cell (that happens from time to time) replace the battery and see what happens.

On second thought just get a Taco.

2006 Nismo KC, 6spd, bought new Dec.2005, 143k 99.7% trouble free miles, never left me stranded Denso Iridium Power plugs, Gibson 612211 SS catback, modded with a Magnaflow muffler, XTP IMS, FIPK series 77 K&N intake, CSF radiator, Romik bull/side bars, Bilstein 5100's rear +Firestone riderite air bags, PRG aluminum diff cover, PRG rearend vent mod, Rancho Quiklift front shock/spring combo, MOOG front hubs, StopTech drilled/slotted brake rotors, Spyder CCFL halo headlight assy with Innovited 55W HID xenon H1 conversion kit, OLM HP Gen2 passive cooling LED fog lights, Weathertech window visors, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2's P265/75/16 114T.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
So, you didn't sit in the seats before you bought the truck? Did you notice you can reach the oil filter through the wheel well? Trust me, there are far worse filter placements out there, look at the SR20...Did you try checking your tire air pressures? Often times they come over-inflated from the dealer. This will seriously affect your handling

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
"The first time you forget to turn off the VDC before the stink, will also be the last time you forget to turn off your VDC before the stink."
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Garage

- Raine.

Keira is here.
click above for my build thread

TYPE CREW CAB SV 4x4 VTP COLOR NIGHT ARMOR LIFT 3.5"/2.5" NAME KEIRA

SUSP: Custom King Shocks . Total Chaos . Level-8 . Deaver . Nisstec . Bilstein . PRG . BF Goodrich
EXT: White Knuckle . PIAA . White Rhino . Truxedo . Firestik . BlueSea . Mitsuba
A/V: DNX-892 . TWK-88 . PDX-V9 . HSK-165XL . DCX-165.3 . 2x 10TW1-4 . Dynamat . 2x Cameras
MODS: Power Tailgate Lock . Custom CB Antenna Mount . Trailer Plug Relocate . Diff Breather Mod
MORE: Midland . UltraGauge . Raingler . Working OEM SWC, Bluetooth, USB . Some Cool Stickers
The Following User Says Thank You to raine For This Useful Post:
kode3 (01-08-2017)
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

1. It's not from leaving a light on, it only happens when the truck gets wet and it has happened multiple times in the last month.
2. There's a lot more to testing an alternator than checking voltage, amperage has a lot to do with it and I have no way to test that much less to do it while everything is wet.
3. No it doesn't drive like a truck, it drives like a POS. Everyone of the 6 other trucks I've owned have handled and driven better.
4. Tires are at 32psi, but let's not get started on that because the stock tires are horrible and will be replaced before winter if the truck isn't replaced.
5. Yes I sat in the seats, but when you go from a 2006 car to anything brand new it's going to feel better.
6. Sorry to hurt all your feelings about your beloved Frontiers but I'm not impressed. If Ford still had a Ranger I never would have given Nissan a thought.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Why not just buy a brand new ford F-TINCAN.

HRD•BDY
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

I would if I had $45k to spare! If they still had the Explorer Sport Trac I would have bought one of those too.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.