for the 2nd Gen Xterras (Titans and Frontys as well)
Press Release (3/12/07):
Gear’d to Win
- In Team Xterra Racing’s quest to bring the BITD Class 3100 (Stock Mini SUV) championship into Nissan’s hands, owner/driver Dave Blakely wanted to see if he could improve upon the “raceability” of the Xterra. One of the first calls he made was to Superior Axle & Gear.
- While the stock 3.70 gear ratio and OEM construction may be fine for day to day driving and low impact offroad excursions, it is not the ideal setup for the brutal demands of desert racing. With 74 years of experience under their belts in designing and manufacturing custom gears and axles for nearly every application imaginable, Superior Axle & Gear was in the best possible position to assist Team Xterra Racing in developing a race appropriate set of gears that could also be marketed to other Xterra, Frontier and Titan owners.
- In working with Dave, Superior Axle & Gear produced a set of 4.56 and 4.88 gears for the racing Xterra. Currently with a set of the 4.56 gears and a billet spool installed, Dave has put a few hundred miles of testing on them and is impressed to say the least. Testing under full “race conditions” will take place at the upcoming Terrible’s Town 250 in Primm, NV 4/17-19. Due to the generous support Team Xterra Racing has received from Superior Axle & Gear, Dave will take with him something he has never had before—an entire spare third member with racing gears installed and ready to go, in the unlikely event the current setup fails and needs to be replaced. Thanks HAVE to go out to Superior Axle & Gear for this. The team is lucky to have such great support and will do its best to put the product through its paces and make Superior proud!!
- In talking to Jeff Phillips at Superior Axle & Gear it became clear why Team Xterra Racing in particular and the offroad aftermarket customer in general is in great hands when upgrading their drivetrain with “Superior” products.
- Superior Axle & Gear prides itself on being the first to market with new gearsets for numerous applications including being the first company to offer aftermarket gears for the new Jeep JK. Superior Axle & Gear’s products are trusted so much in this area that Chrysler uses Superior made axles and gears for a number of its testing/prototype rigs!!
- So why do so many people place so much trust in their products?? Well, their attention to detail comes to mind…From taking NASCAR axle balancing technology and applying it to their offroad products, to using rolled splines, to spending extra time making sure that the cut of their gears produces a minimum of heat and noise, Superior Axle & Gear takes the time to ensure their products can meet the expectations of a demanding consumer.
- In partnering with Team Xterra Racing and Dave Blakely, Superior Axle & Gear feels it has partnered with a great competitor known for his competitive drive and ingenuity. Together they will push Superior’s new products to their limits ensuring that Nissan (and other import brand) enthusiasts have the same high quality aftermarket options that Jeep, Ford, etc. owners have had for so long.
- Look for Nissan (Xterra, Titan and Frontier) specific gears to be available from Superior Axle & Gear, mid year ’08 and for upgraded axles for the same said applications to come on line about three months later…
- Until then…Please drop Jeff Phillips at Superior Axle & Gear a line at: firstname.lastname@example.org
and let him know how much you appreciate Superior’s support of Team Xterra Racing and how much you are looking forward to their Nissan line of products!
: Superior Gear is now out of business. Rugged Rocks
is the current supplier of ring and pinions for 2nd gen Frontiers.