Slip/VDC Question - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slip/VDC Question

I have a 2011 Frontier Crew Cab Pro4x 6-speed

I think my VDC is broken or I just don't know what it is actually supposed to do. I thought that it was designed to either apply the brakes or lower power to the drivetrain or just a single wheel when the computer detects wheel slippage.

If I am correct in my thinking then I think it is not working. I noticed in the snow I could just spin the tires and never heard/felt any anti-wheel spin measures. Today it is raining like crazy and busted the tire(s) loose to test my theory. Sure enough I had at least 3 seconds of wheel spin and not once did I see a Slip light on the dash or anything indicating that my wheel was spinning.

My dad has a 2004 Titan with VDC and his slip light comes on at the slightest amount of wheel spin, for instance just chirping the tires produces the slip light.

Anyway thanks for any help that you guys can give on this.

2011 6spd Frontier Pro4x CC

Last edited by disorbtion; 03-10-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Shift_Obsessed

The VDC and the ABLS (slip light) system are two different things. Does sound like your ABLS is not working. Does turning on or off the VDC make a difference. Do you have anyother waring lights on, like your ABS light?

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
#3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Shift_lurker

No warning lights at all and I will try turning off VDC on the way home this evening and see if I can still light the tires up with no response from the truck. I did do a little more reading and I guess VDC is more for fishtailing and the ABLS is what isn't working correctly. Is there any way to tell if it is working? I am assuming I would hear/feel something. I thought the slip light came one when a wheel was slipping or I guess that makes to much sense, haha.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Shift_Fanatic

I had a 2005 Titan SE 4x4 KC, and I now have a 2009 Frontier PRO-4X
The Titan did, I admit, have a happy active little ABLS light, and I admit the ABLS light on the Frontier seems slower to light up, or, does not light up at all sometimes, however, my Frontier seems just as active as the Titan because I can HEAR the ABLS relays working away under the dash even though the light is slow to come on or does not once in a while. In my truck at least it seems like both systems are the same, but my Frontier is just slower to light up the idiot light when it is working.

As far as VDC is concerned, I'm keeping my mouth shut, other than to say I bought when I dod so I could get this truck without that.

Triple S • SILLY SUBSTANDARD SLUSHBOXES
2009 PRO-4X KC 6-SPEED MANUAL WITHOUT VDC
#5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Yuor correct. When you get wheel spin the slip light should light up. You can also hear the system working. Kindda sounds like a crunching sound when the ABLS is doing it's thing. I am pretty certain that ALBS works when the VDC is on. Jsut thought it would give you some disagnostic input if ABLS worked when the VDC was off.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
#6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Shift_lurker

Hmmm, all seemed fine on the way home so maybe it was just slow to respond or wasn't responding last time or 2. The slip light was lighting during wheel spin. Hit the VDC off button and spun nearly the whole way up a hill (poor tires lol). I really hate how much electronic stuff are in todays vehicles, just leaves so much room for more to go wrong. Yea I would love to have gotten my truck without VDC as I don't like the idea behind it (removing even more skill from the drivers). ABLS is a nice feature on the other hand though and can see it's uses. I live in a very hilly area with many stops and starts on hills. I actually think I may like it more as time goes on for that reason when talking adverse conditions.

My 2009 Crew Cab didn't have any of the VDC or ABLS options and was nice, but it was automatic, since you couldn't get Crew Cabs with a 6-speed until the 2011 Pro4x Crew Cab came along. Then had to order one after arguing with 2 dealers that were saying they don't make them. Straight Shift trumps the small downfalls I traded for it IMHO.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Shift_lurker

I don't remember a crunching sound though I don't know I have to really romp on the throttle to get any spin with the 50% throttle limit bullshit so engine noise is loud, plus I had my windows cracked. I'm guessing it sounds kind of the like or exactly like the ABS system?

#8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Intresting differences... I ride with VDC off, and it automaticaly kicks on when she gets fishy or i smash the throtle. not able to be turned off untill its back in control and in decent rpm's...

with VDC on its verry hard to break A/T's lose but not too hard with streeties. to me i can feel the reduced power to the wheels, while the engine still roars.

Thats how it works for me..

As for slip light, it comes on for me when atleast one wheel breaks loose and prob does atleast 1/2 a full rotation before warning.

-Wheeling A
Fully loaded, 05' Frontier CC/Nismo 4x4 On American Racing 17'' Fuel Rims Wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT Tires.
-Modded With
Nismo Exhaust & Volant Ram Intake & Brutal's Gauge Pillar.
-She flys & swims too!

Positive transactions -
BRUTAL
#9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah should sound like ABS kicking in. One other thing is that I think one wheel has to be slipping/spinning at a different speed than the other for ABLS to kick in. In the snow I can sometimes get both wheels spinning at the same time and the ABLS doesn't kick in.

Last edited by EB_05_NISMO; 03-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Shift_lurker

Ah, thanks a lot guys, cleared a lot of things up for me.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Drivetrain Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.