installing front drive shaft to diff? causing vibration?? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Johnnyman88
installing front drive shaft to diff? causing vibration??

is there a certain way to reconnect the drive shaft to the front diff? i just did the fabtech and was required to disconnect the drive shaft from the diff to lower it. was it suppose to go back exactly how it was on when i took it off? i might have spinned the drive shaft a bit before rebolting it, would this cause my vibration?? i get a good vibration at 25mph. also the front cv shafts, how do you know if there pushed it good enough?? one side i torque with a battery impact wrench and im thinking it wasn't strong enough to hit 160lbs and the other side i used a impact gun from a compressor. would this cause anything? i bought some new cotter pins so i could hit that side with a real impact gun.

Big Bait Big Fish..Hold On..

Last edited by Johnnyman88; 03-28-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You are suppose to mark the location of the drive shaft flang relative to the diff's output flang before you remove them so that they go back on the same. Yes they are suppose to go back exactly in the same orientation. That is most likey the cuase of your vibration. Since you do not know how it was orignally mounted your best bet is to reclock the DS and see how it drives. Most DS flanges can be mounted every 90 degrees. Whoever due to cutout in the flang you can notice matching wear marks giving it only 2 possible mounting locations every 180 degrees. I am not sure how the flange of the front DS are set up. If you can jsut flip it 180 you are in luck. IF not, mark the current location and rotate, test, rotate, test...

As for torque, NEVER USE AN IMPACT GUN TO TIGHTEN A BOLT TO TORQUE!!!! There is NO WAY to know what you are tourqing to. The rating on a impact gun is only a generalized range. Hitting a bolt/nut with the impact can apply mucg more tourque then intended. Tightening the bolt with a gun to the end of the thread with the gun setting on low, then tourque to spec with a toruqe wrench. If you do not have a tourque wrench you can get close by knowing what tourque is. For example if you are trying to hit 160. THe units of tourque is typically foot/lbs. Meaning if you have a 1 foot long lever arm (length of wrench) you need to apply 160 lbs of force on the end. If your force is generated by gravity then the lever arm needs to be parallel to the ground. A 2 foot long wrench would only need 80 lbs...

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Nissan4Life; 03-28-2011 at 06:15 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan4Life View Post
You are suppose to mark the location of the drive shaft flang relative to the diff's output flang before you remove them so that they go back on the same. Yes they are suppose to go back exactly in the same orientation. That is most likey the cuase of your vibration. Since you do not know how it was orignally mounted your best bet is to reclock the DS and see how it drives. Most DS flanges can be mounted every 90 degrees. Whoever due to cutout in the flang you can notice matching wear marks giving it only 2 possible mounting locations every 180 degrees. I am not sure how the flange of the front DS are set up. If you can jsut flip it 180 you are in luck. IF not, mark the current location and rotate, test, rotate, test...

As for torque, NEVER USE AN IMPACT GUN TO TIGHTEN A BOLT TO TORQUE!!!! There is NO WAY to know what you are tourqing to. The rating on a impact gun is only a generalized range. Hitting a bolt/nut with the impact can apply mucg more tourque then intended. Tightening the bolt with a gun to the end of the thread with the gun setting on low, then tourque to spec with a toruqe wrench. If you do not have a tourque wrench you can get close by knowing what tourque is. For example if you are trying to hit 160. THe units of tourque is typically foot/lbs. Meaning if you have a 1 foot long lever arm (length of wrench) you need to apply 160 lbs of force on the end. If your force is generated by gravity then the lever arm needs to be parallel to the ground. A 2 foot long wrench would only need 80 lbs...
Now i feel alittle better because i know i rotated it. Ill try doing it on my day off. I hope this solves it. I wish they said that in the instructions. Being im an ameture, i didnt know of this. Thanks. Anymore help or thoughts would be good. Is this harming anything?? I drive maybe 2 miles or less to get to work.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
yes...one way off same way on

My recently departed Friend;
2010 PRO-4X Night Armor CC. K&N intake. Prototype Magnaflow Cat-Back. Superchip'd. Readylift SST 2.5/1.5 lift. 285/75/16 BFG ATs. UHaul Hitch. White Rhino Fab Lightbar w/ Hella 500FFs. PIAA yellow fog bulbs. Silverstar 9007s. Bed mounted Hi-Lift Jack. Nissan acces(hood protector,side rails, window visors).

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Shift_Hardcore

the only way to learn... now you knoez

'07 white 6 speed se crewcab, longbed, calmini db lift, blacked out steelies, 33's, herced front/rear bumper, dynomax ultraflow muffler sans resonator, aFe dry filter c.a.i., more to follow
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Vibration is probably from the steeper U-joint angles caused by the lift.
The steeper the angle, the more a U-joint will vibrate as it spins. Having them in phase will minimize the effect, but won't completely stop it.
The Following User Says Thank You to V8 man For This Useful Post:
dubie2003 (03-29-2011)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

So if i drop the lift, vibration will lessin? Hopefully rotating the DS will help.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Shift_Obsessed

What lift did you get?? Drop the lift?

The driveline angle is based on the location of the transfer case and the diff. For the front end the diff is fixed, with relation to suspension travle, and is held in place by the cross member. I think I remember you going to a fabtech drop bracket lift. By changing the coil over setting and changing the angle which the a-arms sit will not change the driveline angle, and thus have no effect on driveline based vibrations.

If this is a well established lift, any driveline vibration issues should be already documented.

Area you sure this is not a result of the rear DS?

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Shift_Newbie

I am having similar vibration i cant figure it out mine is when i go certain speeds 25 50 75 mph i think its my rear block becasue its not seating right on the rear axle causing it to be at an odd angle
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Wheels and tires are still the number one source of vibrations.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Drivetrain Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.