LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
*HELP* Rear End Clunk/Whine *HELP*

Need help I have a clunk under deceleration and a rattling under acceleration. I have a video where you can here the rattle and then the clunk, this was taken about 50mph and dropping to 40mph does it both when in gear decelerating and when I neutral decelerating. I have an m226 with an e locker, any input is appreciated I did change the u joints last night and it's still clunking I can feel it in the shifter.
https://youtu.be/heZ8DMiYsSc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan swap w/ 2.5 ext resi SAWS, 2.0 Air bumps, Deaver racepack, Radflo external resi rear shocks, and much much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Thanked 1,520 Times in 1,048 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
take a video under your truck if you can.

also, take it out to a large grassy field, toss the elocker on and take it up to higher speeds and see if the noise persists.
if the noise goes away, you need a new carrier.

it sounds vaguely familiar to my elocker when it was having issues. trutrac for the win.

could also be a bearing, you can help test by loading them by turning while the noise is going.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Thanks man, I'll try and I can take a video under the truck I'll strap a camera underneath. Don't have any big grassy field to test the locker straight line with no turning on the pavement would do the trick?

Titan swap w/ 2.5 ext resi SAWS, 2.0 Air bumps, Deaver racepack, Radflo external resi rear shocks, and much much more

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

the only reason i mentioned grass was because your current setup from what i remember you were running some heavy tires. elocker is kinda weak for what we all use it for.
not saying i think you will have an issue, just trying to be safety steve haha, but im sure it would be fine.

my elocker ended up being the actual mechanism that locked that was making the clunk noise i hear in your video. i think i heard a secondary im not familiar with but if you have a under the truck video i may be able to hear better.
but when i took my elocker apart, the spider gears were perfect.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
So when you took the e locker out and put in the trutrac the noise was gone? Also does the trutrac use the long and short shafts?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

correct. i replaced the whole carrier-elocker.

now this will take me a minute to remember exactly what i did.
i believe the passenger side shaft is just a hair too long, and the splines bottom out on the input to the trutrac. i swapped my passenger side axle for a non elocker passenger side axle and the contact patch was hovering right at 50%
i think if you had a decent machine shop you trusted, could just extend the splines on your existing axle about an inch or so. this would be about the same price i think, but you contact patch will be 100%

im not saying your elocker mechanism is toast like mine was, but it sounds really similar to the noise mine made.
i also thought it was u joints originally. i swapped all 4 before i finally mounted a camera under the truck and could pinpoint the carrier making the noise. from there i pulled the cover and looked and all looked fine.
tossed the locker on in my yard and got up to speed and it was whisper quiet. that was enough evidence for me to order the trutrac that night.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysLog View Post
correct. i replaced the whole carrier-elocker.

now this will take me a minute to remember exactly what i did.
i believe the passenger side shaft is just a hair too long, and the splines bottom out on the input to the trutrac. i swapped my passenger side axle for a non elocker passenger side axle and the contact patch was hovering right at 50%
i think if you had a decent machine shop you trusted, could just extend the splines on your existing axle about an inch or so. this would be about the same price i think, but you contact patch will be 100%

im not saying your elocker mechanism is toast like mine was, but it sounds really similar to the noise mine made.
i also thought it was u joints originally. i swapped all 4 before i finally mounted a camera under the truck and could pinpoint the carrier making the noise. from there i pulled the cover and looked and all looked fine.
tossed the locker on in my yard and got up to speed and it was whisper quiet. that was enough evidence for me to order the trutrac that night.

Hey man send me a text I lost your number took video underneath I can send you

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Drivetrain Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.