Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Gen2 Clutch job, tips and tricks.

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Daroccot 
#1 · (Edited)
Learn from my pain... will update more as job progresses

As you remove nuts and bolts, put them in sealed containers or ziplok bags and label them.

Place transmission jack as in photo, nice balance point to manipulate (you will have to remove trans to k-frame insulator).

Use the Clutch Fork Boot hole to align the Transmission input shaft to the clutch (you don't want to nudge the clutch off center when reattaching the trans)

Use a strap or similar tool to tilt the engine back to make transmission/engine realignment much easier.

You can reach the bolts to install the transmission with a 36" breaker bar from under the vehicle

Don't forget to plug the shifter hole with clean rags when you remove it.

Buy these tools, if you don't already have them.

Make sure the impact sockets have an extension and wobble. 14mm, 17mm.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Agree.Never showed the torque patern for the flywheel and did not even mention it.Should have mentioned the tork and the pilot shaft you will need also.Useless video in my opinion.

#6 ·
No torque pattern for the flywheel AFAIK, I just went in two stages criss cross style, make sure you put lots of axial pressure on that T55 bolt, you do not want the bit to slip and strip out the head. The Clutch cover /Pressure plate definitely has a torque pattern, it's in the FSM.

Granted this is not a "first timer" job, I've been working on cars for about 25 years, so some of my tips are common sense. I almost lost it when he put the plunger spring for the gear shift on the floor mat! that spring is coated in trans oil, placing it on a dirty floor mat is a surefire way to get sand in your transmission… nice.

All in all the hardest part of the job is messing with the exhaust. Specifically messing with the header heat shield to access the top nut on the cat on the mid pipe. also for me was getting the studs out of the flanges on the "y" pipe. I ground them off flush to the mid pipe flange, heated with oxy/aceteline and worked them out the back. Once removed I drilled those stupid threads out and used new nuts, washers and bolts to reattach. next time just cut the bolt heads off and pop out the bolt… way easier.

#7 ·
Lost the clutch on Saturday.Removed the tranny on Sunday.Got the new clutch on Monday.Left for the 1000 on Tuesday.Raced on Wednesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.