Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Gear Oils for Front, Rear Diff, Transfer case 2015 Pro-4x

18K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  JSutter 
#1 ·
So i am a relative newb, and on my old 2012 Frontier, i paid dearly for front, rear, and transfer case at the stealership. Never again, I said. I read shinermillers writeup, its straightforward enough.

My question is, what fluids are people using. I know what viscosity and quantities i need, im just curious of brands, i myself was just going to go either amsoil or redline all the way.

i found a great deal on AFE pro-guard for the front and rears, not many reviews or thoughts?

Also, specifically for the rear, for instance, red line has the the regular 75w 140 and then they also have 75w 140ns. Do i need to make absolutely certain that the rear has the friction additives? It seems like alot of people have just used whatever is there.

Thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
I have amsoil in both diffs. Though I would have been ok with any synthetic oil. I am not too careful with the weight either. For example I think the front diff calls for 80-90. I used 75-90. Obviously don't use 75-90 for the rear that calls for 75-140. But I think I have run 80-140 before.

Come to think of it, the last time I did the rear diff I used some generic syn oil from O'Reilys.

#4 ·
Do i need to make absolutely certain that the rear has the friction additives? It seems like alot of people have just used whatever is there.
If you have a Pro-4x you have a locker instead of a LSD so you don't need to have the friction additive. I ran my rear with some cheap O'Reilly's syn 75w 140 for about a year with no issues (was really broke). Then I changed it out to royal purple recently. When I changed out the cheap stuff the magnet was vary clean. The royal purple has the additive in it already but that is fine, you just don't need it. I would say run a well known brand because they are held to a higher quality then cheap stuff....sometimes.

I also need to change out my other fluids so I am curious with everyone is using also.

#5 ·
I went with Mobil 1 75/90 in diffs and M1 ATF in T-case. Great reviews, relatively inexpensive and widely available. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.