Nissan Frontier Forum banner

ATF Question.

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Zero Six LE 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before: What would be the recommendation on aftermarket ATF (auto trans fluid), would be replacing the ATF, truck has about 18k miles, plan to do a drain and refill.

Nissan is recommending "Matic S" which is almost 11$ a quart and dealer says it is not synthetic. Has anyone used a different fluid?

Thanks.
Frontier 2014
Auto 4.0 V6 4X4
::smile::

#2 · (Edited)
First, why replace it at 18k? That's almost half the severe service interval.

Second, I don't know of an aftermarket equivalent to Matic S. I'm sure other members have used something different. But unless there's a dramatic difference in price I'd stick with the factory fluid, even if it is $11.00 a quart.

My understanding is that Matic S is synthetic (note the S), otherwise our trucks would still be using Matic J for which there are aftermarket alternatives.

Just FYI. You can find it cheaper, if you look around. I bought a case of 12 from an eBay seller recently for $90.00 including shipping. That works out to $7.50 a quart.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info -- I would probably use the OEM fluid for now. FYI: Valvoline at Walmart says full synthetic "Recommended for use in: Nissan/Infiniti Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, Matic-S”.

However, the dealership where I am says OEM fluid is not synthetic. I'll probably wait till the warranty is over to use Valvoline.

#6 ·
Use the Valvoline if you want - probably better. Meets Jasco -1A standard (believe that is the spec for Japanese cars). Believe Castrol also makes 2 kinds that meet spec - one is full-syn and exceeds the spec.

#10 ·
Here is what I will say as a long time AMSOIL user. The gear oil is great. The difference between others and AMSOIL can be felt even years after a MANUAL transmission has been drained and sitting. Hard to discribe but if you were to take the input shaft of two trannies (1. with XX 1. with Amsoil) and giggle them back and forth - the AMSOIL has a softer feel ...not metal on metal.

XX brand will feel like sippery water? more metal to metal contact.

So, I use all thier products

#8 ·
Well, it was the last minute change of mind, used the Valvoline Synthetic Matic-S. The fluid was light pink with 18k miles on it, Nissan recommended interval is 30k -- drain and refill only after warming the truck, it took exactly 4.5 quarts. The shifts feel smoother though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.