ARB air locker with ABS defeat (How-to with pics) - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ARB air locker with ABS defeat (How-to with pics)

SUMMARY: The ARB Air Locker switch energizes a relay which does the same function as "pulling the ABS fuse".
(but you can do it from the drivers seat!)

======= SEE FORUM UPDATE MAY 19, 2013 - The NAPA Tap-a-Circuit is BAD for NISSAN fuseblocks
use CT6100: Fuse socket connectors from General Technologies Corp.===========

I installed an ARB air locker in the rear axle (C200) on my 2005 Frontier LE. It provided a major increase in traction as anyone can imagine.

I had never really off-roaded the Frontier before, and now with its increased capability, the truck's ABS made its LAME LAME LAME qualities known and was absolutely infuriating. Reading about this on CF I decided that I wanted ABS OFF whenever the "ARB Air Locker" switch is ON. This is fairly easy to do. Reading Colin123's excellent instructions I figured out how to make it work with my ARB locker switch and a relay. Hope you folks can understand my diagrams & pics. It takes a long time to write this stuff up.

Basically the mod it uses a 5-pin relay in a normally closed position to run the ABS system as normal. When you turn on the locker switch, a "tiny sip of 12v" operates the relay, which breaks the circuit, behaving exactly like pulling the fuse (or like Colin123's switch). Any 12v signal will trigger this relay to open, not just an Air Locker switch.

I am quite curious of what the big-brain folks can figure out with regard to disabling ABS ONLY and not the dash features. If there is some 12v signal off the ECU that NISSAN uses, that would be interesting too, but for now I'm using this brute force method.

In the first pic you can see my ARB compressor switch and the ARB Locker switch. These switches fit PERFECTLY in the Frontier OEM switch holes. I had to remove the Cargo lamp switch, and it is ziptied up there somewhere behind the dash. It still works and I can find it by feeling around for it but it's no longer visible.

Here's how to remove the lower dash panel:

Buy these parts from NAPA. NAPA has a "mini fuseholder" too. You will need about 7 feet of wire too, x2 conductors = 14 feet. Probably should use 18 ga minimum, 14ga or 16ga is good too.
======= SEE FORUM UPDATE MAY 19, 2013 - The NAPA Tap-a-Circuit is BAD for NISSAN fuseblocks

Here's where to find the ABS fuse under the hood.

Cable goes from left to right across the rear of the engine compartment.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0 ARB switches.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	41883   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Parts needed.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	41884   Click image for larger version

Name:	2Fuseblock.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	41885   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 cable route to cab.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	41886   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Wire into cab.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	41887  

Last edited by Sodo; 05-20-2013 at 12:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sodo For This Useful Post:
ScottB1982 (04-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Heres more pics of tapping into the fuseblock and of the relay.

I did it in such a way that the whole mod can be removed from the truck with no trace except for a hole in the back of the fusebox. The NAPA fuse taps that I used in the pics permanently stretched NISSAN fuseblock sockets. The RadioShack fuse taps are twice as thick and you would never even get them in!

It's interesting to note that if you have just one measly air locker, the extra wires from the ARB wire bundle (slated for switch#2 for the FRONT locker) are PERFECT to control the relay!

The ARB system could not possibly have anticipated this mod, but the extra wires included sure makes the mod easy and clean.

Here's what the speedo/dash does with the Locker OFF, ON, OFF, while parked, engine off. At this point I have not driven with this mod.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5 Napa fuse taps.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	41888   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Relay normally closed.jpg
Views:	2022
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	41890   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 Dash1.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	41892   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Relay wired to ARB loom2.jpg
Views:	1123
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	41911   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Taps and ABS fuse.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	41912  

Last edited by Sodo; 05-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sodo For This Useful Post:
humz (04-10-2013), ScottB1982 (04-11-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nice write up, it looks like you got it. Can't wait to hear update after you've driven it.

2006 SE CC 4x4 A/T: NISMO CAI, JBA Exhaust, Unichip PNP, Fabtech 6" Lift w/PRG UCA, Radflo 2.0, Bilstien 5125 & custom Alcan Springs, ProComp 7089 w/BFG AT T/A (295/75R16), ShrockWorks Skids & Bumpers, Warn M8000, Hella 500s, M226 (3.69) swap w/ARB Air Locker & Compressor, CW Billet Grilles...

“A government for the people must depend for its success on the intelligence, the morality, the justice, and the interest of the people themselves”. - Grover Cleveland

Bigdog's Build Thread
#4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,022 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nicely done. I thought there were fuse taps designed to make that part a little easier?
#5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Nicely done. I thought there were fuse taps designed to make that part a little easier?
Hey Z, I thought so too, but at the store I realized they were designed to ADD a 2nd circuit.....NOT BREAK a circuit so I didn't buy it. But you got me thinking......

1) about over-stretching the fuseblock slots by doubling the fuse-blade thickness
2) the monkey-business where I added a decoy (disabled) fuse to hold the NAPA fuse taps in.

I gave it some more thought here's a way it can be used. I like it, I may change mine over to that. I prefer NOT to stretch my truck's fuseblock. Haven't figured out what to poke in the slot to get the power out, I'd like something better than the dummy fuse.

No problem though somebody will think of a good way. Anyway here's a pic of how it can be done.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	add-a-circuit.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	41909  

Last edited by Sodo; 04-11-2013 at 06:42 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottB1982
Nice write-up, and good thinking! I'm sure something similar could be used for someone retrofitting a stock e-locker into a vehicle not already equipped with one. I've been considering it for a while, since I am only 2wd and would like the ability to get 2 wheels turning in places one tire spinning isn't enough. I know it would be nowhere near the capability of 4wd, but would be better than a "one-wheel wonder!"

Chat for ClubFrontier Members HERE! http://xat.com/ClubFrontier

2011 Frontier CC SV V6- CST Spindles, 2" Deavers, 5125 bils, PRG adjustable shackles, 285/75R16 BFG ATs on Vision 375 Warriors, Midland 1001LWX CB radio w/ SH2P4 external speaker and 3' Firestick, N-Fab step bars, Hypertech, AEM DryFlow drop-in filter, custom bed-mounted Hi-Lift jack.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Nice write-up!
#8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,022 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
#9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Sodo - will this work? Blue Ox - Fuse Bypass Switch
Yes it will work. This is a different direction than this thread; BlueOx is a manual method and this thread is how to switch ABS off electrically.

BlueOx does the same as Colin123's switch method except with the BlueOx you still have to open the hood to switch it on/off, and Colin123 has extended his switch to be inside the cab. If you have to open the hood is not really a "mod". If you're OK with opening the hood you might as well just pull fuse#9 and put it back when you're done.

And it puzzles me that BlueOx is on the web, presenting their product 24/7/365 with a micro-photo that you can't see anything about their product. Then you click on it and it becomes 25% bigger and still too small to see. Anyway BlueOx has everything you need to do this, and it has a fuse too. Looks like BX88272 is the one that will work (mini-fuse switch) and you just move your 10A "ABS fuse" into the fuseholder on the BlueOx. Personally I'd just pull the fuse if I had to open the hood.

Last edited by Sodo; 04-11-2013 at 06:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sodo For This Useful Post:
Zedbra (04-11-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Drivetrain Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.