Nissan Frontier Forum banner

another cv failure

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  shinermiller 
#1 · (Edited)
well had to go help out nismocc pull his front diff yesterday on the side of the hwy , he was running the broken arrow trail and tried to go up devils staircase

(he made it up the day before) and i guess the cv snapped on the splined portion , he said he never even heard a noise but lost traction

i brought up another cv to swap out but there was no way to get the damaged portion out because the snap ring was still holding it in so we had to pull the entire diff both axles and driveshaft
if warranty doesnt cover it ill have to take it apart and push the broken part out from the other side

luckily the snap ring was holding part of the end inside the diff so it didnt fall in and damage the diff , as far as i know

once he posts pics on ONAZ ill post here if he does not

#3 · (Edited)
only one for the Az guys , i know there were a couple others one here, but seems to be less than breaking spider gears and completly taking out the diff

its really weird cause it looked like the splined portion just crumbled

when we tore apart Az-Ted's front diff the spider gears were chunked out but the cv's were peferectly fine

#4 ·
only one for the Az guys , i know there were a couple others one here, but seems to be less than breaking spider gears and completly taking out the diff

its really weird cause it looked like the splined portion just crumbled

when we tore apart Az-Ted's front diff the spider gears were chunked out but the cv's were peferectly fine
Had that with an S15 rear axle. Spline crumbled inside the carrier. Had to dig it out with drill. The crumbled bits just jammed right up.

#5 · (Edited)
yeah if he doesnt get it covered under warranty ill take it apart and have to knock out the broken piece from the other side with a piece of pipe or something

i forgot to mention this was on the short side(drivers side )

#6 ·
So it snapped in the housing? Strange.

Soon as I get some more cash, I'm going to order another set of extended axles from Greg and get some JY axles with the CVs so I can have spares. Ideally I'd go M205, but the gearing isn't right.

#8 ·
I'm not worried about breaking the shafts themselves, cause if I do that...well if I break a shaft I need to turn in my keys.

It'd just be an easier trail fix to install the whole half shaft then have to mess with the CVs themselves.

#9 · (Edited)
true , but the cv that usually breaks is diff side and its simple to get off , pull the boot then pull a snap ring then it slides right out , just dont know if id spend the $600 for a spare set of axles

plus if your busted the way nismocc's did , you cant put the new axle in anyway

oh and check thenewx creek has a spare set of axles for sale i think , pm him or wanderlust

#21 ·
#15 ·
BS That is the way mine and Irishsaints broke. I still have the piece I pulled out of my diff as a reminder of what not to buy. It is just another weak link in the front of these trucks.

#16 ·
yeah im not sure if i believe what the dealer told him , just letting you know what they said , but atleast the covered the diff and axles

i was really surprised when he told me that

#18 ·
Anybody seen pricing on that inboard CV cup? Is it worth treating the inner CV and spider gear sets as maintenance items (rebuild before failure)? Or is the pricing too high to risk it?

It seems it shouldn't be too big a job to rebuild the diff once a year (probably easier than that effing alternator).

Up here the prices I've seen on used Titan diffs range from $500 (high miles) to $1250 all without axles.

#20 ·
alrite well this seems like the most appropriate place to ask this question.....i have a clicking noise coming from my front end when i turn the steering wheel. noise comes mainly from driver side. also makes the clicking noise if my wheels hit the sidewalk when parking. i had a feeling its the cv joints going bad...so i took it to my dealership but the claimed that they didnt hear anything, and that it was fine! (yea right!) anyways...just wondering if the cv joints should be my main focus here???
thanks*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.