Nissan Frontier Forum banner

4 wheel drive wont engage. Please Help.

31K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  blan 
#1 ·
OK so I spent a while looking for a post about this, but didn't find anything so.

When I turn on the switch for 4hi the indicator flashes like normal, and then goes into 4hi, and as soon as I give it much gas it starts flashing and I can feel it disengages. When I let off the gas it reengages. It sounds fine and feels fine, The is no waring lights. The only thing is when I take off fast in 2 wheel drive (because 4 doesn't work) it make a grinding/ clicking sound like gears grinding. this started before the 4x4 wouldn't work. My front-diff fluid is good no metal in it, transfer case fluid is good no metal or nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know anything about how the electric hubs work.

:sickly:

#2 ·
Unless they have changed something, you don't have locking hubs, the axle turns when the wheel does. sounds like the transfer case is jumping out of gear. May have to take it apart and do an inspection. I personally wish nissan had left the manual lever for the 4x4 system. Not too sure about all these electronics.

#3 ·
I'm having problems with my 4 wheel drive engaging also. 07 Frontier crew cab, long bed. Worked fine a month ago and this month when I tried to switch it the 4x4 indicator just flashed.... I tried the normal stuff like putting it in neutral, driving forward, backwards, turned off the truck, and nothing fixes the problem. After a while the yellow 4x4 light will come on when it doesn't engage. I haven't checked the fluid in the transfer case, but I assume everything is ok. Maybe I shouldn't? I assume its a simple solenoid that activates it right? Anyone changed one before? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, especially if you've worked on this!

#5 ·
Thanks! But can I get a little more detail?

The switch I assume you mean the one in the cab? I assume it works at the switch, because it activates the icon on the dash. I haven't checked at the transfer case. Does it have an external solenoid? I'd take any hints or photo's...

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

#6 ·
I'm reviving this old thread. Having problems with 4wd malfunction indicator light on, no picture display on dash. I've tested the switch in the dash and it seems to be working correctly. Fuses and relays look good.

After much digging I suspect that I have a problem with one of my three switch sensors on the transfer case. Apparently they're not water tight and they easily get corroded inside. They require a 21mm deep socket to remove them and supposedly you can do it with the fluid in the transfer case without losing too much. They can be tested with a multimeter and there are D40 (Navara) youtube videos showing a switch cut open. The same sensors/transfer are in the Frontier I think.

Can anyone narrow down which of the three switches is most likely to cause both a 4wd malfunction indicator and the no picture display? I hate to buy all three if I don't need to. I'm leaning towards the first part number listed below.

I've heard different names like 4wd switch, ATP switch, neutral transfer switch, wait detection switch, sometimes even 4 Lo switch and that's what makes it so confusing. It's hard to tell which to buy according to their descriptions.

The part numbers I'm considering are:
32006-7S110 Switch Assy - 4wd for $20.16 (Courtesy Nissan)

32006-8S010 Neutral transfer switch for $37.29

32005-7S110 also labeled neutral transfer for $33.89.

Anyone experienced and resolved this problem before? The solution is to seal the new switch where the plastic meets the metal with silicone.
Thanks in advance!

#7 ·
Blan,
Turns out in my case I had a broken wire on my anti-lock brakes for the wheel sensor on the front left wheel which caused my 4x4 to not be able to sense the wheel wasnt spinning. In this case I did get the ever blinking 4x4 light followed by a red 4x4 light. I would guess my wait detection switch was waiting for the speed sensor to engage, so it could possibly be that switch... But your guess is as good as mine. Good luck!

KP

#8 ·
I get a solid 4wd malfunction light...no blinks and no display. I get no other related lights like ABS or other. No obdII codes. My display window lights up normally when you first turn the key to ON but shuts back off when the engine starts so I know that the display does work.

Not long ago I could "fool it" by turning the key on and off 3 times quickly and then starting on the fourth attempt. At that point 4wd could engage normally but that doesn't seem to work anymore. If I do that procedure now and get it to where I have a normal display window and no 4wd malfunction light, the 4wd malfunction light immediately comes on when you turn the selector to 4 Hi.

I could have a bad wire to a transfer case switch but it's a little cold too search for that today. I've never seen the blinking malfunction light before.

#10 ·
I agree. I had found the procedure yesterday but the weather was horrible. I'm going to do the procedure today. I can just about guarantee that one of my switches has water in it. I had sprayed them off with a cleaner and water after changing out my transfer input shaft seal. After that I read how poorly sealed they are. I never would've imagined that they'd have such a poorly sealed switch on the bottom of a 4wd. Thanks for the input.

#11 ·
Yesterday I went wheeling and noticed the diagram indicator flashing as it was in 4 hi. never stopped flashing until it was put in 4 lo, however after switching from lo back to hi, it went back to flashing, but it was engaged? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

electronic engage on 4x4 is confusing..any suggestions? this is my post from 10 days ago

#13 ·
I performed the 4wd diagnostic procedure and got code 13. Supposedly relates to transfer relays or improper power to the TCU. I pulled the switches just to make sure they were all working properly and they were.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.