Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2005+ D40 Manual- transfer case gearing

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sixspeed-SV 
#1 ·
So, has anyone looked into changing the gearing of the transfer case for the 2005+ D40 frontier? There are gear sets for the earlier model year units.

We are looking into taller (bigger) tires and there was a rumor that gearing is one way to achieve decent mpg and added low end in the low ranges before reconstructing the front and rear ends of the truck.

I have heard the electric switch feature is a concern for any gear modifications or changes.

#2 ·
I have looked into this before. There are no available gears for our Transfercases. Someone explained that our t-case is set up differently than the older ones, and makes gearing swaps more difficult. You would have to get custom cut gears. The t-case gear for the older trucks was for low range only.

Lower gearing will help with with power and maybe MPG.

Axle gears are the only viable option.

#3 ·
The TX15B transfer case fitted D40 - gear data

I came across the service data and specifications sheet for the transfer case from a technical manual. The technical for the transfer case lists some gear ratios.
Hi- 1.00
low- 2.625
number of teeth: planetary gear; sun gear -56, Internal Gear -91.
sprocket 38, shaft 38.

I suppose these could be changed to improve/degrade the vehicles performance for mpg and torque.

#6 ·
A friend advised that the electric switch for the TX15B transfer case is problematic for re gearing due to position/attachment/configuration of the switch itself. This could be entirely bovine scat.

I have sent a query to rugged rocks in regards to re gearing the transfer case.

#7 ·
A friend advised that the electric switch for the TX15B transfer case is problematic for re gearing due to position/attachment/configuration of the switch itself. This could be entirely bovine scat.

I have sent a query to rugged rocks in regards to re gearing the transfer case.

Why are you opposed to differential gearing?

#8 ·
transfer case gearing option

The changes to gearing are open to options. One of the conversations in Moab mentioned gearing changes should have been done before they changed tire sizes. The transfer case is one area to investigate options.

There are trade-offs for any mod to consider.

#9 ·
Say what?

This thread was about 6spd vs auto. But since you have chosen to go here with this. I believe unless you go custom the only t-case gears available are the ones the truck comes with. That's why if someone goes to much bigger tires they should change the gearing in their front and rear diff, both available w/o going custom/expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.