LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
05 Nismo SAS...build-up

Just the first pic of the new Axles and the truck.
Here are the specs of what Im building.
05 Nismo, stock motor and trans
Atlas 5:1 transfer case
'78 Ford Dana 60 front axle
'71 Eaton 1ton rear axle
40" TSL swampers
3-link w/ panhard front and rear
2.5" coilovers all 4 corners
Interior cage
Mastercraft seats
Possibly a flat-bed conversion.

Just a couple axles for now

The guinea pig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

I will be looking at making this possibly into a kit...but for a 44. So far the plan is to build a complete new x-member that will incorporate the link mounts and clearance for the front DS. The steering will be unique do to the r&p, but I think I have solution for this though with use of a swingset. The upper coilover mounts can be incorporated through the mounts for the stock UCA and stock coilbucket. This is a project Ive wanted to tackle for some time. When I finish the Frontier, I will do a 44 on my wife's Xterra.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureRay View Post
whats the advantage with a solid front axle?

I know the dana and the eaton are better than what we got stock but i thought the reason they went to IFS is because it was better....?
IFS is generally better for on road and even most off-roading. BUT, we, as Xterra owners, are faced with a bundle of opposition. Mainly, no gearing options, short a-arms, not much wheel travel (unless you go exceptionally wide), funny lug patter, only med strength hubs/cv's/axles. All these things can be solved using a solid axle. The trade-offs are not as good road manners, worse high-speed off-road handling, a lot of money spent on conversion.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

Trust me, I really love Jen's current set-up. We have been punishing her X lately. but I really need better gears, if it were an auto I could probably live with it. so the SAS is just next on the list. The ABS is my biggest concern for a replacement swap. The Frontier is gonna be a trailer queen if I cant get is registered, so I really dont care about ABS and check-engine lights.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrerunnerGreg View Post
I will be looking at making this possibly into a kit...but for a 44. So far the plan is to build a complete new x-member that will incorporate the link mounts and clearance for the front DS. The steering will be unique do to the r&p, but I think I have solution for this though with use of a swingset. The upper coilover mounts can be incorporated through the mounts for the stock UCA and stock coilbucket. This is a project Ive wanted to tackle for some time. When I finish the Frontier, I will do a 44 on my wife's Xterra.
Wow I didn't think PRG would be the fist company. Nice!

What is your goal as for height? Are the front fenders and bed staying? Will you be shorting the frame?

Mike's 2005 NISMO build

2005 NISMO CC 4X4-ICON 2.5 coilovers,AC 3 leaf pack,Bilstein shocks, 3" Body lift, Titan front differential, Pathfinder half shafts, 305/70R16, American Outlaw Colt wheels, KMA rear bumper, Black Widow Off Road hi-lift mount, Home made utilitrac spare tire mount, Airflow snorkel, Shrockworks sliders and skids
Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
not bashing, just a question- why was the eaton rear selected as opposed to something different?
I knew you'd ask. Because I really wanted a third bearing on the pinion. This leaves the 9", 14 bolt, and the Eaton. After doing lots o' research, the Eaton is as strong or stronger than the 14 bolt (10.5 ring gear, 35-spline axles, etc, nearly the same as the 14 actually, but plenty of truck-pull guys swear the Eaton is stronger). The Eaton has about 1.5-2" more clearance, weighs about 100 pounds less, has a steel housing so it will be easy to truss and weld the 3-link to. Also runs a thrust pre-load adjustment to keep any ring gear flex to a minimum. All the 14b brake kits work too. The only disadvantages are very small gear selection...I did get a 4:11 and an extra 4:56 drop-out when I bought this though. And since it runs even bigger axle bearing than a 14b, the bearings get really expensive...if you ever need to replace them. I am still torn on just a GM-style brake kit or building a set of Wilwoods for it. And, i think it looks kinda cool, in a retro way. And, it cost about the same as a 14, but much less than a 60 or 70. I even have a trussed brand-new 9" FF (just needs the drop-out) that was gonna go in this truck, but I will use it for something else now.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
i am curious as well. e-locker perhaps?

btw...you'll love that front kingpin D60. its a heavy sucker, but well worth the weight! what are your plans for building up that 60 to tolerate 40" tires? i've already broke 2 stub shafts on my 60 with 37s. i'd suggest some chromo shafts.

i look forward to seeing this build as well!
The Eaton will get the old "lincoln locker" treatment. As for the front...as of right now, the mandatory mods are , Detroit or ARB, 35 spline outer axles, drive flanges. We'll see what breaks after that. I am new to the solid-axle world, so I am learning as I go.
The goal on this project is to see how hard it will be to adapt some kind of kit to do an SAS for the second gen, and see how, or if, the steering can hold-up. Also, just to see if I can do some good shock work as get this thing to handle both extreme crawling trails as well as good highway manners and med-speed desert trails.
This truck was supposed to be built as a race truck, but I have started to like trial-riding so much (and the wife and I have been really fond of mine-hunting lately) that the direction of this project has changed.

Last edited by PrerunnerGreg; 04-01-2009 at 10:02 AM.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Maybe andy and greg should join forces to build a V8 SAS Frontier!!!

Interior Mods:Pioneer AVIC D3 w/IPOD and Sirius, Hertz ECX 690 6x9 speakers, Hertz ECX 165 6.5 speakers. Husky floor mats.Wood grain dash. Wet Okole seat covers. Superchip Cortex Tuned.
Exterior Mods: 18 Inch Nismo wheels with LT285/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T's. Rhino Lined Bed. Sylvania Silverstar headlights. Stainless grill inserts. Chrome OEM mirrors and door handles. OEM hood protector and fogs. Stubby antenna. LED taillights and brakelights.
Suspension Mods: Radflo lift coil overs, PRG UCA's, Removed sway bar, Deavers, Radflo Ext. Res. shocks.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

i have a spare vk56 sitting in a crate. It needs a good home.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
Greg,

I was really wondering about the Eaton choice myself. As are you going with a disc conversion?

Also, why a 3 link rear with track bar (panhard) over a triangulated 4-link?

Err, and did I read that right, you are going to try and keep the R&P steering? I can hear that rack screaming already trying to turn those 40's.
Disc conversion is on it's way. Same as 14bolt. May through some Wilwoods on though, just 'cause the calipers look cool.

As for the panhard bar, well, here's the reasoning so far. The panhard seems to track better with articulation, 3/4 link better for vertical (high speed) movement. I may be wrong though. I am also keeping the stock fuel tank for now, so the panhard bar will be easier to mount.

Yes, trying to keep the stock rack. It will probably fail miserably, but who knows. Racks are usually pretty strong...at least when there is no side-loading (ie; steep tie-rod angles and jumping) so I will try to adapt a swing-set and x-over to the tie-rod. I can change the steering ratio too. I may try to adapt a PSC ram also. If that doesnt work...well there's good 'ol Saganaw boxes out there. I really do have a modest budget for this project too. The other part is to see how far some of the stock parts can be pushed.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Drivetrain Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.