How to Increase Fuel Economy - Page 4 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep in mind when you change the tire size to one that has a different overall diameter than stock, it will also affect the speedometer and odometer accuracy. One of the things I find helps is usually cruise control as much as possible on vehicle with throttle-by-wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Thanked 1,179 Times in 755 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Warm up times are not part of the equation when I'm burning more than one tank during a drive to work 650 miles one way....
Any time you have a cold start, the engine consumes more fuel until it is warmed up. Colder outside temps means it takes a few minutes longer to reach full operating temps. And you work is 650 miles away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Keep in mind when you change the tire size to one that has a different overall diameter than stock, it will also affect the speedometer and odometer accuracy. One of the things I find helps is usually cruise control as much as possible on vehicle with throttle-by-wire.
In theory, using Cruise control uses more fuel, but, it helps me save fuel by keeping me from creeping up on speed. I find I'll not watch and I'll be going 10-15 MPH over the speed limit. I can set the cruise at 60 and know that's as fast as I'm making my brick shaped vehicle go.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here

Last edited by shizzy; 02-17-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Great comment.

I went for oversized tires on my Nissan Frontier, just because slightly bigger was WAY cheaper than the rare stock tires. Technically, when your tires are only slighty bigger it shouldn't effect the speedo or even power delivery much.

I did an experiment on my Saab years ago with tires that continually went flatter on a very long trip - very much not ideal, yes? Basically, the larger or more airfilled the tire was the farther I went per mile and my gas mileage "went down" according to the calculation from the fuel pump.

As the tires got me less distance because air went lower, mileage would increase (slow enough link to fill up 2-3 times before wanting more air). In other words I was going a SHORTER distance now with the same odometer reading. Once I calculated in the real differences using pi x r squared or r x r, the fuel mileage changes were identical to the changes in radius equating into new distances obtained.

Because of this I now think that how much air in your tires is total BS for your gas mileage. Just keep the tire pressure for the best handling and you'll see NO DIFFERENCE in fuel economy despite articles everywhere claiming this matters.

2004 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Long Bed NA
- mildly modified 65k miles
- why a CAI? Has one stock
(was out of commision for 4 years)
- grounding wires, as good as new NGK spark plugs
- K&N Air filter
1999 Chevy Prizm (really a Corolla)
- short ram modified for cold air
- Mevotech end links for the front and rear
- Moog coils front and back
- Catback 2.25" except wait, I put in a 2.75" cat!
- grounding wires
- NGK Iridium spark plugs

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equator2011 View Post
Easy solution........ Buy a bike and double you mpg

I'm looking at one of these Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - Boulevard M50 - 2017 - M50
Maybe times 4 your mileage! LOL I'm about 203 lbs so my 70 mpg motorcycle only gets 54, but yeah, every chance I get I pretty much drive it.

I live FAR from civilization right now so a $30 minimum buy in to see something other than the city I'm in versus $6 makes trips to the auto store for this or that so much less emotional.

I'm probably paying my motorcycle payment at the 3 year rate instead of 5 with the savings in fuel. Truly I'd just go into town less if I only had the truck, so I'm not truly saving all that money, but buying everything online is so cold versus going to a real store at times, ya know?

So emotionally it's awesome in many respects including all the fun that's included.

Oh, even better yet my buddy's new Honda CRF250L vs. my Yamaha WR250R (new)? Doesn't matter if I drive slow or as fast as he** I get the same gas mileage. I can't be as sure on his since he doesn't check all the time, but for an equal in weight gentleman it sure seems the same in MPG.

- K&N Air filter
- grounding wires

Last edited by AutoBravado; 02-18-2017 at 01:39 AM. Reason: grammar, corrected link for a comparison between motorcycles
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
... And you work is 650 miles away?
That's what I said...

As a ship engineer I can pretty much live anywhere I want and simply travel to work as I only have to make that drive 8 to 9 times a year to which I get paid for my mileage and then some... I live closest to Knoxville TN and work out of Muskegon MI...

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I did consider synthetic oil but I was advised not to. I also have the bed covered with a BakFlip.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
I did consider synthetic oil but I was advised not to. I also have the bed covered with a BakFlip.
You really should no longer take advice from that person...

T CRO
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 AM
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
You really should no longer take advice from that person...
Agreed. Here's some about synthetic motor controversy. Clearly this is the best protection for the least wear.

I didn't know this before, but conventional oil that's say 5w-30 isn't even 5w-30 anymore at 3,000 miles. That's right, it falls flat on it's face that fast.

Conversely the same in synthetic is actually still the right viscosity at 7k miles or even longer. I still believe in gunk being gunk no matter how good synthetic is, so I don't go past 5k miles. Maybe if I had a newer ride I'd change my mind. Maybe those engines dirty less, but if they don't, I won't be changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
What's the bakflip? Does it just flatly cover the bed? Other than protecting things from the weather that actually hurts gas mileage, just like driving around with the bed open. Having a closed in area, like how your truck started, creates a low pressure wave that the air slides over better.

- K&N Air filter
- grounding wires

Last edited by AutoBravado; 02-19-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBravado View Post
... Does it just flatly cover the bed? Other than protecting things from the weather that actually hurts gas mileage, just like driving around with the bed open. Having a closed in area, like how your truck started, creates a low pressure wave that the air slides over better.
This I had not heard before...

T CRO
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Thanked 1,686 Times in 960 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBravado View Post

What's the bakflip? Does it just flatly cover the bed? Other than protecting things from the weather that actually hurts gas mileage, just like driving around with the bed open. Having a closed in area, like how your truck started, creates a low pressure wave that the air slides over better.
I may have misunderstood this, but I'm pretty sure there was a mythbusters episode that proved on a truck (without a cover), your millage will decrease driving with the tailgate down.

On the topic of with a cover, I haven't heard any thing that would indicate having a cover would actually hurt mileage (other than if it was made of lead ). I do however doubt the claims from cover manufacturers about the measurable increase in mileage.

I have no knowledge in the topic, but you would think if the open bed (without a cover) was more aerodynamic, the NASCAR truck series would configure their trucks with open beds.

-- Brian
'13 Pro4X CC / AT, BFG KO2s 265-75-16, BakflipG2, Curt Hitch, Pathy Plates, OEM Steps & Bug Deflector, 20% 3M Color Stable Tint, 7pin Trailer Plug Mounted in Bumper Mod, Powerstop Z23 Rotors & Pads

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Street Trucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.