LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The stock SV tires are lighter than the 'average' replacement tires (usually LT tires)... you can get narrow (235/75/16) P-metric highway tread tires for lighter, lower rolling resistance... I was managing highway, with stock (265/70/16) BFG Longfails 20-21mpg when I first bought... I was smooth on, smooth off, anticipating traffic and only doing 60mph...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniorNV View Post
You aren't going to get the advertised highway mileage with the driving conditions you are describing.

I can't remember the exact method they use to figure out EPA mileage (you can do an internet search and find it) but I believe the highway mileage on any given vehicle is calculated at something like 45-55 mph (and obviously with no stop and go traffic).
it uses a rolling road, so wind resistance is not part of the figure (at least under old calculations)

- - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
- - 2014 SV 4x4 V6 Auto - - F.O.R.C.E. - - ExploringNH.com

-build thread- stomper

[gone] 76 GMC Sierra 4x4 RCSB -383 v8, SM465, 3.73:1, TT rear, Dana44 & GM12bolt c-clip converted
[gone] 85 RX-7 5spd
[gone] 79 F-100 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First, the bottom line: enjoy your V6 truck. It is what it is.

Having been down this frustrating fuel economy road coming from a Gen 1 '00 4-banger that I could harass all day long and it would still return 21-22 mpg w/ 650 lbs of topper/cargo. Well, it took some time getting used to 'downgrading' to a '15 SV/V6 @16-18ish mpg. Interstate speeds (75-80 mph) are no help since I sport an extra tall topper...but when I took a day trip using slower county roads (60-70 mph) I netted my best economy by far (21.7 mpg).

The not-so-complicated questions one needs to ask:

Is it worth it to save some money via better fuel economy to arrive at your destination later by driving slower?
~ What is YOUR time worth to you?
Are any mods that 'might' return better fuel economy worth the expense in the long run?

The REAL bottom line is.......wait for it.......next time buy a 4-cyl 5-sp manual (or automatic) 4x2 Frontier. Cuz the price of having a 4.0/V6's boatload of torque just a few inches away from your right foot comes w/ a price.

I could be wrong, but I believe one can still get a 4-cyl 4x4 Tacoma if one truly needs a 4x4 and can't overcome our 'dismal' fuel economy.

Get used to it and enjoy your truck.

My last tidbit of advice is to quit checking your fuel economy = don't even depress your tripmeter.........just fill your truck when the light comes on.
Fuggedaboudit.

PS I hand calculate every tank since new...and am about to pass 25K miles.

________
'15 SV KC, 4.0, 6-sp, 4x2 Worktruck & DD
VTP items = Standard Equipment on SV 6-sp
ARE TW bedshell, Firestone Ride-Rites, Morimoto XB LED fogs, OEM mud flaps/step rails, Bully Hitch Step,
AVS Aeroskin, WeatherTech Digi-Fit, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, Wet Okole, Ceramic tint,
265/70-16 Michelin Defender LTX M/S
________
'00 XE KC, 2.4, 5-sp, 4x2 ~SOLD~
ATC bedshell, Kenwood/HAT/Boston Acoustics
185K w/ original distributor, cats & clutch
The Following User Says Thank You to shift_RUSH For This Useful Post:
whistler (03-10-2017)
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I guess you are right. A truck is a truck is a truck. I can only pray for better fuel economy.

post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_RUSH View Post
... My last tidbit of advice is to quit checking your fuel economy = don't even depress your tripmeter.........just fill your truck when the light comes on.
Fuggedaboudit.
Only since my truck is new and I wanted to keep a eye on it for the first 5K while I got accustomed to it do I still track my MPG... But the dangest thing was on its first trip 650 mile trip north from TN to MI three receipts told me I was getting 18.25 MPG or better. Whereas the truck then sat 4 weeks and on the return in early Dec I'll be danged if the milage hadn't dropped to 16ish and has not changed... I can only think it's the difference between Summer and winter fuel?

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Thanked 1,300 Times in 820 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Only since my truck is new and I wanted to keep a eye on it for the first 5K while I got accustomed to it do I still track my MPG... But the dangest thing was on its first trip 650 mile trip north from TN to MI three receipts told me I was getting 18.25 MPG or better. Whereas the truck then sat 4 weeks and on the return in early Dec I'll be danged if the milage hadn't dropped to 16ish and has not changed... I can only think it's the difference between Summer and winter fuel?
Summer and winter fuel and cooler temps means longer warm up times.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Shift_lurker
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
However if someone had data logging MPG.. Say run tire at 38 instead of 35, add tonneau cover reduces drag @ 65 MPH, running syn for oil instead of conventional. Do all these and you will get 1 MPG.. Over time that could be some serious $$$, but the cost of doing these will only be if the life expectancy of the truck is increased. I.E. I got 10 yr instead of 8.. I guess that's why we'll call it the Million dollar ?

2016 SV AVG 18.00 MPG

Last edited by godgib; 02-16-2017 at 12:00 PM.
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
A Fuel Additive helps me

Like most you, you've probably tried some snake oil and only got results if you were lying to yourself, but I have tested Lucas Upper Cylinder Fuel treatment a lot in my gen 1 Nissan Frontier and it really helps. When a gallon of is is like $32 and when it's on sale for $27 and you only use 2.5 oz. per 10 gallons, I can usually drive half a year without buying another one.

Doing cold engine trips where I can never get the engine hot or even warm in the city, I get 11 MPG without the treatment and 13 with.

On the highway I tend to get 18 instead of 16 or 17 instead of 15. I have the heavier 4x4 option with the V6. Guys without the 4x4 can totally outclass me, but I'm still heavily outclassing what the EPA said my truck should do, excepting short city trips.

Anyway, check this out about it:
https://youtu.be/ATL19lVpmAk

2004 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Long Bed NA
- mildly modified 65k miles
- why a CAI? Has one stock
(was out of commision for 4 years)
- grounding wires, as good as new NGK spark plugs
- K&N Air filter
1999 Chevy Prizm (really a Corolla)
- short ram modified for cold air
- Mevotech end links for the front and rear
- Moog coils front and back
- Catback 2.25" except wait, I put in a 2.75" cat!
- grounding wires
- NGK Iridium spark plugs

Last edited by AutoBravado; 02-16-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: fixed link
post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
Summer and winter fuel and cooler temps means longer warm up times.
Warm up times are not part of the equation when I'm burning more than one tank during a drive to work 650 miles one way....

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
If you increase your tire size usually that increases your unsprung weight / rotational weight which in stop and go traffic will negatively effect milage as it has to work harder to move the mass. A low rolling resistance / low weight tire and wheel package in the same size would probably net a more beneficial result.

Not nearly as relevant at constant highway speeds.

2012 Frontier SL CCLB
2004 Mitsu Outlander AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Izerous For This Useful Post:
tredici (02-16-2017)
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Easy solution........ Buy a bike and double you mpg

I'm looking at one of these Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - Boulevard M50 - 2017 - M50

I'm running a 2011 Equator RMZ-4 Crew Cab in River Red (Nissan calls it Code Red)

Currently stock with the exception of ballistic nylon seat covers (F&R), Curt class 3 hitch and an Undercover tonneau cover.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Street Trucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.