LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
I didn't keep the stock SV tire size 265/70 long enough to build a comparison to the 265/75 (1 inch taller) to tell you if I'm any worse but I don't think I'm getting any better at all. My truck seems to get somewhere around 16.5 to 17.5 GPM according to the fuel receipts. Changing tire height too much either direction can throw you out of the engine's sweet spot...

Wow 41,000 miles a year just to and fro for work! You need an econo-box here....
Thanks for your input. So it looks like I am not the only one who does not get the advertised AVG MPG (21). Yeah 41,000/year. The good things is this project will be over next year so I am hoping to get closer to home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
... Too late for me to switch to synthetic....
Negative Ghostrider it is never TOO LATE to switch to synthetic... This is a wives tale that has hung on from the early days of synthetic when some seal and gasket materials did not play well with the new oils...

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I thought the max highway mpg was 21?

With city being 16 mpg max that averages to a combined 17-18 mpg...

With the cold here in ND, I avg 13-17 mpg depending on the lengths of my drive.

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj80 View Post
I am with the rest of these guys. Buy another car unless the frontier is what is used for work. LIke you need it to haul things when you get there. I did this exact thing. I was driving almost 40k miles a year between work and dropping my kid of to her mothers. I had a nice turbo charged infiniti that I racked miles up on. I needed to use 93 octane and got about 25mpg. I went and bought an almost bare bones VERSA brand new off the lot. The car was a whopping $11k. That car would get 40+mpg on the same routes and ran off of 87. I actually made money buying that vehicle. The gas savings pretty much paid the car payment and the car lasted years after it was paid off which was all profit!

Of course it did help that the Versa was super reliable. I sold it with the stock fluids (not oil), stock rear brakes, stock plugs etc with 205k miles. My brother has it now and is planning a trip from CT to NO this summer with it. Still blows Ice cold AC.
I do not use the truck for work to haul anything. I need my truck to access most of the job sites I am on. One of the guys I work with suggested changing the fuel grade from 87 to 89. I did look at the Tesla SUV for a hot second but once I saw the price I almost fell off my chair.

I was not aware of that. I will definitely consider it.

Last edited by tredici; 02-15-2017 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for your input. So it looks like I am not the only one who does not get the advertised AVG MPG (21). Yeah 41,000/year. The good things is this project will be over next year so I am hoping to get closer to home
Not many people can claim to get the advertised mileage. Reading the OBC while on the highway I see 19 avg and higher but the gas pump receipts tell a different story...

T CRO
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan4Life View Post
Drive 55mph or less.

Run light, smooth tread tires. Look at the green X michliens. Do not go up a size. Maybe even go narrower if you can keep the same over diameter. You run 265/70r16 try 245/75r16.

Run high tire pressures.

Do you run an open bed? Get the deck lid spoiler. Camper shell? Take it off or get a slant back styled shell.

Make sure you have your front air dam in place.

Don't change out your air filter.

Get a rear axle with the higher gear ratio. I think you have a 3.133, there is a c200K with a 2.937

Get steel wheels and run a smooth hub cap.

Lower your truck.

Remove your antenna.

Remove your windshield wipers.

Fiber glass over your rear fender opening.

Do all of those and your will probably get to 25 mpg.

But realistically get a commuter.
I tried all the mods you suggested and i was getting some funny looks driving down the highway. Not to mention I couldnt listen to the radio nor clean my windshield during the rain. LOL.
I do have my bed covered with a BakFlip cover
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JPolangin View Post
I thought the max highway mpg was 21?

With city being 16 mpg max that averages to a combined 17-18 mpg...

With the cold here in ND, I avg 13-17 mpg depending on the lengths of my drive.
I can get several MPG type readings from the OBC and I see 19 avg but this is at 77 to 78 MPH on the interstate, but when I stop to fill up the receipts tell me I'm at 16.5 to 17.5 more or less. But I do not try so accelerate slow and steady... When I'm on the road making my 650 mile work runs I'm getting it done ASAP...

T CRO
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2467 Post(s)
Thanked 10,094 Times in 5,049 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to Increase Fuel Economy

Quote:
on the way home it a different story I ALWAYS HIT TRAFFIC. Stop and go for sometimes 11 miles.
You aren't going to get the advertised highway mileage with the driving conditions you are describing.

I can't remember the exact method they use to figure out EPA mileage (you can do an internet search and find it) but I believe the highway mileage on any given vehicle is calculated at something like 45-55 mph (and obviously with no stop and go traffic).

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Rubicon tested 2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."

Last edited by JeniorNV; 02-15-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Misquote
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Thanked 1,231 Times in 786 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
I can get several MPG type readings from the OBC and I see 19 avg but this is at 77 to 78 MPH on the interstate, but when I stop to fill up the receipts tell me I'm at 16.5 to 17.5 more or less. But I do not try so accelerate slow and steady... When I'm on the road making my 650 mile work runs I'm getting it done ASAP...
On road trips, I have noticed a difference in MPG once you get over about the 65MPH mark. It seems like that is the speed where the vehicle's shape is really starting to push air. If I stay under 65 on a road trip, I easily get 17+ MPG, but if I am above 70 I'm lucky to see 16mpg. Keep in mind you are driving a tall brick shaped vehicle.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
I get 21mpg on the highway with a warmed up truck cruising between 60-70mph with very little elevation change. This was logged with my on board diagnostic device as well as at the pump. I know I can do better than that and this was in the winter. My fuelly is below is in my signature. The first fill was a dealer fill so that is why do different than the others. The last fill was only had 10 miles of highway driving. The rest was in town. I should also add that in town for me is basically mountains.

I usually way over exceed the EPA mpg ratings. With this frontier not soo much. I do expect to hit mid 20's in the summer time but even that is not overly impressive to me.

Last edited by robj80; 02-15-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Street Trucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.