LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to Increase Fuel Economy

I have the MILLION DOLLAR question..
I have a 2013 SV crew cab which does not get the gas mileage as advertised. I travel 158 miles to and from work daily which consumes a 1/2 tank of gas. Will increasing my tire size lower my RPM's which would increase my fuel economy? I am looking forward to any input. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Subscribing to this thread as well. I came from a few sedans to my first truck and definitely miss the fuel economy, but I do understand it's a bigger and heavier vehicle. Curious to know if there are some things we can do to help get a bit of a higher gas mileage.

2013 Nissan Frontier SL 4X4 - Fully Loaded
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
There are a number of things you can do to increase MPG...but a few questions first. Do you (the OP) have a standard or an automatic transmission? Do you mostly do city driving or rural driving on open roads? The most obvious thing a person can do is slow down....really. I drive 60-65 MPH (rarely going over 2000 rpm. I also skip shift on flat ground. This is a technique used by truckers (me, retired) where I only use the gears I really need to get into 6th gear (I have the manual 6sp) as soon as possible without lugging the engine. I almost always shift (on flat ground) 1, 3, 5, to 6. I changed all fluids to synthetic when I first bought my truck(both differentials, transfer case, transmission) which will make a difference in colder climates. None of these things matter much if you wind the engine up through every gear and drive at 75mph. Also, if you do stop/go driving, try to anticipate what traffic will be doing in front of you. Give yourself a lot of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you....gives you opportunities to keep rolling at lights rather than braking for lights.

- Neal

2013 Frontier, CCSB, 4x4, VQ40DE, 6-speed

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 742 Posts
Garage
Honestly, at 158 miles a day, you are going to be money ahead buying a throwaway beater small car. I drive 70 miles in a day and drive a little car that gets nearly double the MPG's my truck does. Purchase price aside, If I drive my beater twice a week, I pay for it's fuel and insurance.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
I have a 2013 SV crew cab which does not get the gas mileage as advertised. I travel 158 miles to and from work daily which consumes a 1/2 tank of gas. Will increasing my tire size lower my RPM's which would increase my fuel economy? I am looking forward to any input. Thank you in advance.
I didn't keep the stock SV tire size 265/70 long enough to build a comparison to the 265/75 (1 inch taller) to tell you if I'm any worse but I don't think I'm getting any better at all. My truck seems to get somewhere around 16.5 to 17.5 GPM according to the fuel receipts. Changing tire height too much either direction can throw you out of the engine's sweet spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Wow 41,000 miles a year just to and fro for work! You need an econo-box here....

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO

Last edited by teecro; 02-14-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
I am with the rest of these guys. Buy another car unless the frontier is what is used for work. LIke you need it to haul things when you get there. I did this exact thing. I was driving almost 40k miles a year between work and dropping my kid of to her mothers. I had a nice turbo charged infiniti that I racked miles up on. I needed to use 93 octane and got about 25mpg. I went and bought an almost bare bones VERSA brand new off the lot. The car was a whopping $11k. That car would get 40+mpg on the same routes and ran off of 87. I actually made money buying that vehicle. The gas savings pretty much paid the car payment and the car lasted years after it was paid off which was all profit!

Of course it did help that the Versa was super reliable. I sold it with the stock fluids (not oil), stock rear brakes, stock plugs etc with 205k miles. My brother has it now and is planning a trip from CT to NO this summer with it. Still blows Ice cold AC.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Drive 55mph or less.

Run light, smooth tread tires. Look at the green X michliens. Do not go up a size. Maybe even go narrower if you can keep the same over diameter. You run 265/70r16 try 245/75r16.

Run high tire pressures.

Do you run an open bed? Get the deck lid spoiler. Camper shell? Take it off or get a slant back styled shell.

Make sure you have your front air dam in place.

Don't change out your air filter.

Get a rear axle with the higher gear ratio. I think you have a 3.133, there is a c200K with a 2.937

Get steel wheels and run a smooth hub cap.

Lower your truck.

Remove your antenna.

Remove your windshield wipers.

Fiber glass over your rear fender opening.

Do all of those and your will probably get to 25 mpg.

But realistically get a commuter.

06 KC NISMO 4x4 6sp
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan4Life For This Useful Post:
kode3 (02-15-2017)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
lease a VW or buy an old one for your commute.

2015 Pro-4X. BFG AT's, Volant intake, Optima Yellow top D34, Shrockworks Front/Rear bumpers, Shrock skid plates, Shrock sliders, Warn Zeon 8 winch, Amsteel blue synthetic winch line, BullyDog.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealinnevada View Post
There are a number of things you can do to increase MPG...but a few questions first. Do you (the OP) have a standard or an automatic transmission? Do you mostly do city driving or rural driving on open roads? The most obvious thing a person can do is slow down....really. I drive 60-65 MPH (rarely going over 2000 rpm. I also skip shift on flat ground. This is a technique used by truckers (me, retired) where I only use the gears I really need to get into 6th gear (I have the manual 6sp) as soon as possible without lugging the engine. I almost always shift (on flat ground) 1, 3, 5, to 6. I changed all fluids to synthetic when I first bought my truck(both differentials, transfer case, transmission) which will make a difference in colder climates. None of these things matter much if you wind the engine up through every gear and drive at 75mph. Also, if you do stop/go driving, try to anticipate what traffic will be doing in front of you. Give yourself a lot of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you....gives you opportunities to keep rolling at lights rather than braking for lights.
I have an automatic transmission.
Mostly highway miles
I performed a test on Monday, driving no faster than 65MPH on a full tank. I did slow down and accelerate a few time to go through tolls and pass a few people. I kept a steak 2000rpms and i still used a 1/4 tank of gas. Tire pressure is 33psi.
Too late for me to switch to synthetic.
My commute to work in the morning I almost never hit traffic, on the way home it a different story I ALWAYS HIT TRAFFIC. Stop and go for sometimes 11 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
Honestly, at 158 miles a day, you are going to be money ahead buying a throwaway beater small car. I drive 70 miles in a day and drive a little car that gets nearly double the MPG's my truck does. Purchase price aside, If I drive my beater twice a week, I pay for it's fuel and insurance.
I toyed with the idea of buying a beater or even a new car with at least 40mpg's but some of the projects I go on require a truck and I live in a 4 Season area, so areas flood and we get good amounts of snow.

Last edited by tredici; 02-15-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
In any vehicle, with or without any mods, just don't use the brakes. Yeah, I know, so minimize using the brakes. Look ahead when you drive, anticipate. (That's also a good rule for safety, on or off the track, notice what is happening ahead.) Every time you step on the brakes, you're scrubbing off momentum that you just paid for with gas money.

Also, be smooth. You can go fast, you can accelerate moderately hard, but just try to be smooth. Pretend you're a limo driver looking for a big tip, or maybe hauling loose eggs in the bed.

Vic

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Street Trucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.