Nissan Frontier Forum banner

camper towing and auto tranny temps 2011

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RyanD1966 
#1 ·
I bought a new light weight Travel Trailer that weighs 3,800# dry. Dual axle with brakes all around. I will be going from Seattle to Northern Michigan in July. The truck has the factory towing package with external cooler. Is there a temp gauge that can be installed that utilizes a external transducer?

Also is it safe to use the down hill auto brake function when pulling a trailer?
thanks!

#2 ·
It is not a engine brake like the peterbilt I use to drive at work so in sense your thinking no I wouldn't

#3 ·
you can fit a "universal" trans temp gauge or you can connect a scan-gauge or Bullydog to the OBD2 connector. I've been running a BDGT and always have the trans temp, engine temp displayed (alternate with teh other 2 displays). It's pretty accurate.

If you'll be towing alot you might choose to go with a larger trans pan & have it tapped for a trans temp sensor. PML has a good one.
The Hill Decent is intended for offroad use at slow speeds. not sure it would engage at highway speeds, NOR would you want it to!
Tow with OD off, when climbing hills you may want to downshift to 3rd. You'll know if you hear it shift back and forth from 3 to 4. Besides mpg there's nothing 'bad' about driving in 3rd gear. It tops out (speed wise) about 85-90mph @ about 6500rpm. So if you're doing 60mph its fine... as to how it got there, you had to have downshifted and forgot you did so. The shifter gate would have to be REALLY worn to allow you to 'bump' it down to 3rd. Dash only shows what gear you've selected, not what gear you're actively driving in (and unfortunately you can't manu-matic shift like in the Toyota or pathfinder or some titans)

#5 ·
Neither scan guage or bully dog monitor the trans temp, I have both, have tried. Hill descent control only works in 4wd low range. PML has a great looking pan that can be ordered with drilled and tapped for a sensor. I think it's autometer that makes a guage pod that goes in the spot above the stereo, and then you can order a guage for it.

#7 ·
I have had a Derale remote fan on my truck since 2011 and the PML extra capacity transmission pan installed for the past 4 months or so. The Derale by far makes the bigger difference (lower temperature) while towing. Biggest thing I've noticed with the PML is that the temp goes up a lot slower with daily driving. When I tow i can't really see a difference in the PML. Search under my posts and you'll see thread with the fan install. I have a digital autometer transmission temp gauge too that is awesome, but like other have said, the bully dog does the same thing.

#13 ·
So here's my build links, really very little difference from many others, I chose to install two gauges instead of only one, and used individual gauge pods, but you get the idea. I haven't invented a better wheel or anything fantastic like that. Just other ideas and possibilities for those who haven't built yet, to cogitate upon.

https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/3719663-post20.html
https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/3753431-post191.html

Autometer Water Temp Gauge 105-4437
Gauge Sender Adapter - fit upper rad hose perfectly.

Autometer Transmission Temp Gauge 105-4457
Transmission Test Plug Adapter 1/8" NPT X M10 105-2265
Short Sender - std length supplied with gauge will not fit 105-2259
2-5/8" Diametre mounting cups 555-41256

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.