4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like the themed idea a lot!

What if we kept the structure the same but added a category kind of thing. (I know it's been mentioned but I'd like to tweak the idea). What if we still have the same TOTM structure but did one for 2wd and one for 4x4. So really TOTM would be shared. This way we get the sweet built 4x's and then others, like me, who have less built 2wd's won't be as scared to get it the running. Plus this would open up the categories to more than off road. For example with the addition of a 2wd category the simpler off road trucks would be in the running against street trucks.

08 Nismo Frontier CC, SPC UCA, Radflo 2.0, Bilstein 5125s, Deaver aal, HID Headlights/Foglights, LED interior lights, LED license plate lighting, Flowmaster muffler, Bug Sheild and Vent Visors all Around, Kicker CVT 10s, Alpine Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniorNV View Post
I was just about to launch into a lengthy speech, but I'm going to pause for a moment after seeing shizzy's post...

This is the second time I've seen "Member of the Month" come up as a suggestion and I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea. Ever since I have started running this contest, I constantly get complaints about how TOTM is "always" the built 4WD trucks that go off road and that it isn't fair. There are a lot of members here who are valuable contributors to the forum, but they are never recognized for their efforts. Tweaking the contest would place the emphasis on the member as a whole and not just the vehicle that they drive.

Separating this contest out into different classes (4WD/lifted/off road and 2WD/street) has come up a bunch of times...but unless you guys could talk another moderator into doing it that's simply not happening. If you guys want to keep these "Thing of the Month" contests going in 2016, then I am happy to do it for you. But for personal reasons, there are going to be changes made to the contest that will cause me to need to spend less time on it, not more. The older I get, the more I'm learning not to stretch myself thin, and I'm not sure you guys realize how much time goes into these things. Sorry if that sounds selfish. The last thing I want to do is end up like the last moderator who got burned out doing these and virtually disappeared off the face of the earth.

But enough about me, let's keep going down the path of this "Member of the Month" idea. I'd really like to hear some other thoughts on this (for or against).
I understand, and I whole-heartedly agree... Different classes poses a whole new set of challenges, and a ton of work - I apologize for making that suggestion!
I get super busy at work, and I don't always have time to contribute to the forum as much as I'd like to, so I definitely understand. It should be a fun little contest, and equally as fun to host, not a time-consuming duty that pulls you away from other responsibilities.

I'm glad you moved this topic over to a new thread, where it could be looked into, and I'm also glad so many others voiced their opinions & suggestions, like Shizzy's suggestion, to turn it more into a "Featured Member of the Month" - I really think that's a GREAT idea!

2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lava Red 4x4:
WeatherTech Floorliners F&R
WeatherTech Bug Deflector
Combination H3/HID single socket Headlights
Banks Monster Exhaust
Volant CAI
FabTech 6" Lift
Radflo Extended Length 2.0 Coilovers
PRG 1.5" Wheel Spacers
17" KMC XD Series Rockstars
Nitto Terra-Grappler 285/70R17's

^ Hey look! I found a 2-foot deep hole!
Quick, lets drive thru it!!!

Wrench, Fabricate, Install, Break, Repeat...
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
I also like the themed idea, changing it up every month, randomizing the theme for each months TOTM, but figuring out something to hinge it on, might be the challenge there.

As far as MOTM, I like it! But what do you base that on?
Threads started?
Number of posts?
Likes on their posts?
Hard to measure the amount of helpful contributions...
I think a random MOTM might be the easiest, with a random group of 5-10 member's names drawn from a hat, each one maybe filling out a 5-question "about me" style interview form posted and maybe voted on, or if you don't like voting, how about if the finalist is just randomly selected, from another hat?
Seems like more work for the mods (sorry!), but what do you think?

It all gets a little overwhelming, and makes me respect the Mods that much more, for having the patience to deal with all this...

2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lava Red 4x4:
WeatherTech Floorliners F&R
WeatherTech Bug Deflector
Combination H3/HID single socket Headlights
Banks Monster Exhaust
Volant CAI
FabTech 6" Lift
Radflo Extended Length 2.0 Coilovers
PRG 1.5" Wheel Spacers
17" KMC XD Series Rockstars
Nitto Terra-Grappler 285/70R17's

^ Hey look! I found a 2-foot deep hole!
Quick, lets drive thru it!!!

Wrench, Fabricate, Install, Break, Repeat...
post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmyride View Post
Maybe just require a minimum number of nominations to participate, then randomly display a different one each month (once you are displayed, you are removed until the others have cycled through)... Then it becomes more of a featured truck/member and less of a competition. Might also draw some of the lurkers out of the shadows as well...
I agree, not a bad idea at all. I also think that Glamisdude's idea has excellent merit.

I also really like the Member of the Month versus the TOTM. There are so many folks on here that help others over and over and over. And that includes the "Janitors" as well. MOTM would effectively eliminate the "Beauty Contest" for the truck of the month contest.

One last thought .... These forums would be no less outstanding if the TOTM or MOTM competition did not exist. Seems like the current TOTM is just something fun to do each month .... but only fun for those of us that do not have to set it up, beg for nominees, tabulate votes, post topic threads, etc. etc. etc.

Jennifer .... Relax kiddo, don't try to react to all this at once .... Sit back, prop your feet up and watch this sort itself out.

Bob
2008 Nismo King Cab / V6 / 6 Speed Manual
My Build Thread

Life Is Short. Live It To The Fullest. It Has An Expiration Date

Last edited by bhowdy; 10-22-2015 at 03:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhowdy For This Useful Post:
Zedbra (10-22-2015)
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 9,668 Times in 4,841 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Skimming back through this, I think it's interesting how many people have suggested rotating through members, drawing names out of a hat, or just letting us mods pick someone versus putting it to a vote like we have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Though this sounds like a virtuous idea, I think it will fail.

MOTM seems to be a popular idea with a heck of a lot of people. Why do you think it will fail?

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Rubicon tested 2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,559 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
MOTM seems to be a popular idea with a heck of a lot of people. Why do you think it will fail?
Perhaps if it was guided or had a theme, otherwise history has shown that the wheeling trucks will take home the hardware.

On that note, I like the theme idea. Maybe even have the next theme notified in advance, so that others might wish to get a killer photo for that theme. Example: on the beach, mall crawler shot, under a bridge, in the trees, on the rocks - whatever. You get the gist.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
I edited the first post as well, so that new members will understand from the get-go what is happening here. Also added a picture to not mess up the Home page.
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Also added a picture to not mess up the Home page.

Whoops, did I mess up the home page? I suppose I could have placed this thread in a different section.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Whoops, did I mess up the home page? I suppose I could have placed this thread in a different section.
Yup. Any thread posted in this sub-forum will automatically post the first picture on the Home page. If there is no picture then it is a big white box - and who likes big white boxes?
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Yup. Any thread posted in this sub-forum will automatically post the first picture on the Home page. If there is no picture then it is a big white box - and who likes big white boxes?

I know that. I just wasn't thinking about that. 'Cause phone.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Nissan Frontier Forum > ClubFrontier News and Polls > ClubFrontier ToTM/ToTY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.