Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,777 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
2016 TOTM Discussion Thread

Going to add a preface here as this was a thread started by me but not created by me (powers of the woman in blue). Anyways, this thread is to have a discussion about the current Truck of the Month format. Below was my original response in the November TOTM nomination thread:

Quote:
I second redV6. 3 days left, only two trucks in. The reason the TOTM was gone for over a year just a little while ago was lack of participation, and it looks like history is repeating itself once again.
This current and past format doesn't seem to be sparking enough energy or responses from the CF members and therefore, the Mod Squad would like to hear your members' suggestions as to how to either improve or perhaps do away with the TOTM altogether. Annnnnnnd go.....

Last edited by Zedbra; 10-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zedbra For This Useful Post:
JeniorNV (10-21-2015), x_mods (10-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I second redV6. 3 days left, only two trucks in. The reason the TOTM was gone for over a year just a little while ago was lack of participation, and it looks like history is repeating itself once again.

What if you include the nominees from the previous month? Another idea is to run the TOTM on a "quarterly" basis, but do a THREAD OF THE MONTH to promote useful threads to the foreground.

Patrick
2005 SE 4x4 K/C 6-Speed - My Build

Last edited by JeniorNV; 10-22-2015 at 09:27 AM.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Thanked 10,449 Times in 5,210 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathung View Post
What if you include the nominees from the previous month? Another idea is to run the TOTM on a "quarterly" basis, but do a THREAD OF THE MONTH to promote useful threads to the foreground.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to address this later (in its own thread) when I have time to post something thoughtful.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Rubicon tested 2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like a nice truck, and not many of us can afford to do all those crazy mods and upgrades, that you typically see with all the TOTM winners.
I do like all the nominees trucks so far, but money always seems to win, and I think that needs to change...
Maybe different classes for the TOTM?
Not trying to detract from the award, just thinking of ways to get more participation.
bhowdy and bhowdy like this.

2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lava Red 4x4:
WeatherTech Floorliners F&R
WeatherTech Bug Deflector
Combination H3/HID single socket Headlights
Banks Monster Exhaust
Volant CAI
FabTech 6" Lift
Radflo Extended Length 2.0 Coilovers
PRG 1.5" Wheel Spacers
17" KMC XD Series Rockstars
Nitto Terra-Grappler 285/70R17's

^ Hey look! I found a 2-foot deep hole!
Quick, lets drive thru it!!!

Wrench, Fabricate, Install, Break, Repeat...

Last edited by JeniorNV; 10-22-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Removed nomination from old thread
The Following User Says Thank You to MobMechanic01 For This Useful Post:
Pathung (10-22-2015)
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

I moved the TOTM discussion-type posts to their own thread (this thread). I've been planning on creating a thread like this anyway because I want to change the way the contest is run in 2016.

I'll come back later and add my own thoughts and questions to this thread. In the meantime, please share your opinions on TOTM here, not in the nomination thread.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."

Last edited by JeniorNV; 10-22-2015 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Thanked 1,469 Times in 899 Posts
Garage
Can it be morphed in to truck of the month / member of the month thing? I feel like there are members who while they have not and maybe will not be building an epic trail rig, are contributing large amounts of info to the forum.

From that, request a few pics of their truck and what modifications they have done, how their truck is used, future plans, etc.

Or, have the member / truck of the month become a thing where folks put their own name "in a hat" and one person is picked from that list and they and their truck is featured?

The other Sean, Formerly know as shizzy.

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The other Sean For This Useful Post:
bhowdy (10-22-2015), NismoFrontier08 (10-22-2015), Pathung (10-22-2015), shift_RUSH (10-22-2015)
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

I was just about to launch into a lengthy speech, but I'm going to pause for a moment after seeing shizzy's post...

This is the second time I've seen "Member of the Month" come up as a suggestion and I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea. Ever since I have started running this contest, I constantly get complaints about how TOTM is "always" the built 4WD trucks that go off road and that it isn't fair. There are a lot of members here who are valuable contributors to the forum, but they are never recognized for their efforts. Tweaking the contest would place the emphasis on the member as a whole and not just the vehicle that they drive.

Separating this contest out into different classes (4WD/lifted/off road and 2WD/street) has come up a bunch of times...but unless you guys could talk another moderator into doing it that's simply not happening. If you guys want to keep these "Thing of the Month" contests going in 2016, then I am happy to do it for you. But for personal reasons, there are going to be changes made to the contest that will cause me to need to spend less time on it, not more. The older I get, the more I'm learning not to stretch myself thin, and I'm not sure you guys realize how much time goes into these things. Sorry if that sounds selfish. The last thing I want to do is end up like the last moderator who got burned out doing these and virtually disappeared off the face of the earth.

But enough about me, let's keep going down the path of this "Member of the Month" idea. I'd really like to hear some other thoughts on this (for or against).

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Last edited by JeniorNV; 10-22-2015 at 10:25 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeniorNV For This Useful Post:
bhowdy (10-22-2015), Florida_Fronty (10-24-2015), JayAre (10-22-2015)
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,777 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
These are all good ideas and as is now, you can always nominate any member you see fit for any reason. However, as said, it is usually the most extreme 4x4s that win time and time again, but hey, this is a democracy and if that's how the majority wishes to vote, then so be it.

My two cents - I think that the nomination thread needs to be made simple. People can put up as many names as they see fit, no second needed, and then the vote thread just links back to the nomination thread. Therefore, you need to explain who and why you are nominating someone (or yourself) in order to gain votes. Easy peasy. Every quarter isn't a bad idea, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zedbra For This Useful Post:
bhowdy (10-22-2015)
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
These are all good ideas and as is now, you can always nominate any member you see fit for any reason. However, as said, it is usually the most extreme 4x4s that win time and time again, but hey, this is a democracy and if that's how the majority wishes to vote, then so be it.

You were typing as I was editing my post. People can nominate or vote for whoever they want either way, but I think the idea here is to put the emphasis on the member (which can include their truck) rather than putting the emphasis on the truck itself.

Quote:
My two cents - I think that the nomination thread needs to be made simple. People can put up as many names as they see fit, no second needed, and then the vote thread just links back to the nomination thread. Therefore, you need to explain who and why you are nominating someone (or yourself) in order to gain votes. Easy peasy. Every quarter isn't a bad idea, either.

I've already decided to simplify the voting thread. Putting pics in two different threads is redundant and unnecessary.

If we stick with TOTM rather than MOTM, other ideas I'm considering are changing it to a quarterly contest or limiting it to 5 trucks.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,053 Posts
Garage
I like the member of the month, and possibly do it by quarter instead of by month to save time.

An example of this I remember in the past is Suzokie, who is not on here much anymore because his truck got rear ended.

Suzokie noticed a new members post who said they were looking for a truck to buy, but it was too far away from them to look at it.

Suzokie noticed it was near where he was taking a business trip shortly, and took an hour out of his business trip, to find the truck, look at it, and write up a complete review on the the truck with pictures, for this new member.

Suzokie may have never been a candidate for truck of the month, but with member of the month he would at least leave the opportunity to be recognized.

-- Brian
'13 Pro4X CC / AT, BFG KO2s 265-75-16, BakflipG2, Curt Hitch, Pathy Plates, OEM Steps & Bug Deflector, 20% 3M Color Stable Tint, 7pin Trailer Plug Mounted in Bumper Mod, Powerstop Z23 Rotors & Pads
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2013Pro4X For This Useful Post:
Frontier4x (02-29-2016), Sixspeed-SV (11-01-2015)

Nissan Frontier Forum > ClubFrontier News and Polls > ClubFrontier ToTM/ToTY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.