Reboot ECU following fuel filter change - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reboot ECU following fuel filter change

Just had to flush out my long range tank after picking up about 100 ltrs of contaminated diesel in Nowra (south coast NSW) and also change the fuel filter assy in the process (..and aren't these cheap $184!!). Read somewhere on this or the other Nav forum that you needed to reboot the ECU following a fuel filter change but can't find the thread. Couple of questions:

1. Do I really have to reboot .....and why? This wold seem to suggest that home servicing is not an option if this has to be done.

2. Can I, by using some secret combination of ignition/throttle/battery/and maybe masabating at the same time, reboot the ECU. If so would someone care to share the process with me.

Ta
Pete

2008 Artic White Navara D40, Auto, 2.5 diesel, Snorkel, Bullbar, XD9000 Warn Winch, HD towing rig, TJM FUG and Tansmission guard, iCom 440 UHF, BFG A/T 265/70R16 Boots, ScanGaugeII, ARB Canopy, ARB 2500 Awning, Rhino Platform Rack, RidePro Suspension lift, 160ltr Opposite Lock Fuel Tank, Diff breather extensions, Off Road Systems Storage System, 70ltr Water Tank, 2 x 105AH Aux Batteries, 500 watt inverter, Rear ARB Air Locker, ARB side steps, Responsive Engineering 'Water Watch'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ran across this thread. The third post seems the most "authoritative" although it sounds like it's difficult to tell whether it actually resets the ECU or not.

Trouble resetting ECU

2008 Frontier LE Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4
UWS TBS-63-SL Truck Box
Performance Bike Xport Bike Rack
EZ Down Tailgate Assist - failed after 2.5 years
Scosche passPORT 4th Gen iPod Nano charging adapter
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Shift_Newbie

If in doubt call the NRMA and Martin's your man he posted a how to do it not long ago i think and i printed it out and put it with my Navara book.You need to reset the ECM after changing the fuel filter and it was under /// D40 turbo diesel engine issues /// and was about 2 weeks ago give or take.Hope this helps i printed it out on the 16th August after reading it.Cheers
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Shift_Fanatic

your not actually required to reset the ECU. all thats required is to wipe the learned data. i'll have to look through the manual tomorrow.

'04 D22 Navara ZD30 3 litre diesel power
EGR and butterfly mod, catch can, extra rear spring leaf, to muddy to clean!
#5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproga View Post
If in doubt call the NRMA and Martin's your man he posted a how to do it not long ago i think and i printed it out and put it with my Navara book.You need to reset the ECM after changing the fuel filter and it was under /// D40 turbo diesel engine issues /// and was about 2 weeks ago give or take.Hope this helps i printed it out on the 16th August after reading it.Cheers
Trust me Sproga not all NRMA patrolmen are as knowledgeable about D40's or diesel engines for that matter, as Martin is. I think it was a post of Martin's I read previously but bu$$ered if'n I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak'e View Post
your not actually required to reset the ECU. all thats required is to wipe the learned data. i'll have to look through the manual tomorrow.
Thanks Tweak'e appreciate that.

2008 Artic White Navara D40, Auto, 2.5 diesel, Snorkel, Bullbar, XD9000 Warn Winch, HD towing rig, TJM FUG and Tansmission guard, iCom 440 UHF, BFG A/T 265/70R16 Boots, ScanGaugeII, ARB Canopy, ARB 2500 Awning, Rhino Platform Rack, RidePro Suspension lift, 160ltr Opposite Lock Fuel Tank, Diff breather extensions, Off Road Systems Storage System, 70ltr Water Tank, 2 x 105AH Aux Batteries, 500 watt inverter, Rear ARB Air Locker, ARB side steps, Responsive Engineering 'Water Watch'.

Last edited by Pete22; 10-10-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Shift_Fanatic

from the manual.... clearing DTC

How to Set Diagnostic Test Mode II(Self-diagnostic Results)
1.Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
2.Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a.Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b.Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3.Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MI starts blinking.
4.Fully release the accelerator pedal.
ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test ModeII (Self-diagnostic results).

Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
The emission -related diagnostic information has been erased from the backup memory in the ECM.
3.Fully release the accelerator pedal, and confirm the DTC0000 is displayed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak'e For This Useful Post:
Pete22 (10-10-2009)
#7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:

1.Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
3.Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MI starts blinking.

The emission -related diagnostic information has been erased from the backup memory in the ECM.
Thanks Tweak'e

#8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Shift_Newbie

Your dead right Pete but in Martins case id say he's on the ball on D40 problems as well as others that are in the forum. Makes for good reading, does my head in some times but isnt that's what its all about.[Old school bush mechanic]
#9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:

What if I only follow until step 4 not and not goin further by depress the pedal for more than 10 secs?would this still resetting the ecu or not?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuju77 View Post
What if I only follow until step 4 not and not goin further by depress the pedal for more than 10 secs?would this still resetting the ecu or not?
as i understand it.....no that would not reset the ecu. the first bit is just to get into diagnostic mode. the depressing pedal for more than 10 secs is the clearing memory bit.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Navara - International

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.