Flushed transmission and power steering :) - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sirnixalot
Flushed transmission and power steering :)

So i am coming up on 20k miles so i decided it was time to flush the transmission and the power steering. I used Valvoline Mercon V ATF which is suitable for J-matic (No nissan dealer here to even get J or S matic from anyway) and the power steering calls for Dex 3 which the Mercon V stuff is good for as well.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/MERCON_V.pdf

The transmission was flushed with 21 quarts where as the power steering system was flushed using 1 quart.

Just to show you what a difference it is even after only 19xxx miles.

Haven't driven it yet as i am having a post flush beer

2008 Nissan Navara 2.5L TDi
PRG 4wd Advanced lift w' Deavers - DIY 2" body lift
Cusco Catch Can - Custom 3" intake - Custom GT2860 turbo conversion with full 3" exhaust/Magnaflow resonator & 3 chamber XL muffler- Custom 2.25" IC hard piping
DTE PDI chip, Turbotimer, Defi Red Racer boost & EGT gauges
AEM W/I kit 10gph nozzle & 5gal reservoir
Toyo 285/75 R16 OPHT's
EBC Greenstuff 6000 pads, Goodridge lines up front, Earls out back
DIY/Custom tow hitch reciever
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ixalot/Navara/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow big difference after only 20K, Im coming up on that too. Any problems with the full flush as apposed to just a drop and fill as that issue has been discussed?

08 4x4 Nismo CC ,Radflo Coil Overs, Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers 285/75/16 ,Superchips,Nismo CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust,HID 6000k,PRG AAL, PRG UCA
#3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
what people tend to have problems with is a reverse flush which forces any debris that has been collected on the pick up screen back into the tranny. i stay far away from those personally. but there are other ways to flush a tranny that work with the natural flow and use the pump in the tranny itself to do the fluid transfer instead of a pressurized external flush pump. the best thing you could probably do is drain, measure how much drains out, then pull off the pan and clean the filter screen put the pan back on with a new gasket, refill, then pull off the hoses going to the cooler and do a two bucket flush. thats the safest way i know of to get the filter clean and change out as much as possible of the old fluid. was taught all of this from a friend that is now a master tech who was taught this by a wyotech (spelling?) instructor that "would love to blow up every reverse flush system ever made" lol

on a side note you may want to do your transfer case as well if you have any atf leftover cause i hear the fluid in that gets pretty nasty looking pretty fast too, i think i've seen a few guys say it looked worse than than their tranny fluid by far.

07 Red Alert Frontier SE KC Auto: Nismo CAI, Custom 3in exhaust w/ flowmaster and 4in Silverline tip (3in from the y all the way back), BFG Rugged Trails, Python 990 Alarm w/ remote start and 1 mile range, ABS Bypass Switch, Front facing child seat.
08 Red Alert Xterra SE Auto: Stock
2011 Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 speed: Stock
92 240sx 5 speed: Stock for now

#4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Shift_Obsessed

This is some good info. How did you actally flush the PS system thou?

07 SE CC Auto
#5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 AM
Shift_Hardcore

not sure exactly how he did it but there are 2 hoses on the res tank, the one on the bottom that points strait down is the return hose and the one that comes out of the res tank at an angle and is shaped like an "S" goes right to the pump is the suction hose. if you get a union and a bit of hose the same size as the return hose and long enough to go to a small bucket from the engine bay. remove the res tank from the return hose and cap the nipple on the res tank that the return hooks up to then hook your hose and union to the return hose and place in empty bucket. now jack up the front of the truck. with the res tank still attached to the suction hose fill the res with new fluid turn your keys so that the steering wheel unlocks but leave the truck off and start to cycle the the steering wheel. when the res gets low (try to not let it get empty cause then your going to introduce air that will have to be bled out of the system) stop and add more fluid then cycle the wheel some more keeping an eye on the res level and the fluid entering the bucket. once the fluid going into the bucket looks clean your flushed. just take your hose off and put it all back together fill the res to full line and give it a couple more cycles before you put the truck back on the ground and check level ( it may burp) start her up and give it a couple quick cycles and if the level is still good then your done if not top it off. it sounds like alot more work than it really is. we don't have a power steering filter so you'd be surprised how quick the fluid will get dirty and contaminated. OP if you did it an easier way let me know, this is how i've done every vehicle i've owned including my frontier.

07 Red Alert Frontier SE KC Auto: Nismo CAI, Custom 3in exhaust w/ flowmaster and 4in Silverline tip (3in from the y all the way back), BFG Rugged Trails, Python 990 Alarm w/ remote start and 1 mile range, ABS Bypass Switch, Front facing child seat.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin123 View Post
not sure exactly how he did it but there are 2 hoses on the res tank, the one on the bottom that points strait down is the return hose and the one that comes out of the res tank at an angle and is shaped like an "S" goes right to the pump is the suction hose. if you get a union and a bit of hose the same size as the return hose and long enough to go to a small bucket from the engine bay. remove the res tank from the return hose and cap the nipple on the res tank that the return hooks up to then hook your hose and union to the return hose and place in empty bucket. now jack up the front of the truck. with the res tank still attached to the suction hose fill the res with new fluid turn your keys so that the steering wheel unlocks but leave the truck off and start to cycle the the steering wheel. when the res gets low (try to not let it get empty cause then your going to introduce air that will have to be bled out of the system) stop and add more fluid then cycle the wheel some more keeping an eye on the res level and the fluid entering the bucket. once the fluid going into the bucket looks clean your flushed. just take your hose off and put it all back together fill the res to full line and give it a couple more cycles before you put the truck back on the ground and check level ( it may burp) start her up and give it a couple quick cycles and if the level is still good then your done if not top it off. it sounds like alot more work than it really is. we don't have a power steering filter so you'd be surprised how quick the fluid will get dirty and contaminated. OP if you did it an easier way let me know, this is how i've done every vehicle i've owned including my frontier.
Basically you disconnect the return line and re-direct it into a bucket to catch the old fluid and use some kind of stopper so that when you add new fluid, it doesn't just pour out the now unhooked side.

Kinda like a DIY trans flush when you disconnect the trans filter line.

07 SE CC Auto
#7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to sirnixalot
The shop i use (used to work there) has 2 flush machines from Wynns. The transmission flush machine is not a reverse flow one. The powersteering one just has 2 hoses you stick in the reservoir that sucks the old stuff up and puts new stuff in a little at a time until its all new.

If you wanted to DIY the PS flush i guess the easiest way to do it would be to use one of those hand fluid transfer pumps and repeat pumping out most of the reservoir and topping it up until you have gone through a quart of fluid, this is with the engine running by the way. Also what the mechanic had me do prior to flushing is turn the steering wheel lock to lock 10 times to work the fluid through the rack.

I personally prefer the atf flush to a drain and fill because it gets all the fluid out of the torque converter etc. The service manual outlines how to do the flush yourself as well.

If you were to diy it you i would get some clear hose to connect with the cooler lines to make it easier to see when the fluid is good but you do not have to as you can just look at the old fluid pumping out into the bucket. Use the 2 hoses going to the radiator trans cooler, one will suck up the new fluid and one will pum the old out. Just fill a clean bucket with the new atf and stick the "suck" hose in it, then another bucket to collect the old stuff thats coming out of the other hose. I do not know which hose is the in and which is the out.

You should only need 17 quarts to do a complete flush but i had 24 quarts so i had him use a few more for good measure. Still have 2 extra's to top up if needs be in the future.

2008 Nissan Navara 2.5L TDi
PRG 4wd Advanced lift w' Deavers - DIY 2" body lift
Cusco Catch Can - Custom 3" intake - Custom GT2860 turbo conversion with full 3" exhaust/Magnaflow resonator & 3 chamber XL muffler- Custom 2.25" IC hard piping
DTE PDI chip, Turbotimer, Defi Red Racer boost & EGT gauges
AEM W/I kit 10gph nozzle & 5gal reservoir
Toyo 285/75 R16 OPHT's
EBC Greenstuff 6000 pads, Goodridge lines up front, Earls out back
DIY/Custom tow hitch reciever
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ixalot/Navara/

Last edited by sirnixalot; 02-04-2010 at 08:23 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Shift_Hardcore

lucky, after the last time i did my power steering myself my arms were pretty tired lol thats good though with standard direction flow flush, reverse flow is the devil lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie2003 View Post
Basically you disconnect the return line and re-direct it into a bucket to catch the old fluid and use some kind of stopper so that when you add new fluid, it doesn't just pour out the now unhooked side.

Kinda like a DIY trans flush when you disconnect the trans filter line.
yep pretty much, really easy

Last edited by colin123; 02-04-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Navara - International

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.