D40 turbo diesel engine issues. - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
D40 turbo diesel engine issues.

Im having some issues with my 2.5TD D40 navara at the moment, its just started nowe the car is 60.000kms and 3years old, (just out of warranty)

Ive read about ALOT of similar problems on the net and spoken to many people that have had similar issues with their common rail navara`s.

For those that dont know, ill explain a little about the sorts of problems occuring. Some folks report a "severe loss of power", others call it "going into limp mode" or "safe mode" which is a more acccurate desription of whats happening. Somtimes the engine check light comes on, somtimes it doesnt when this occurs depending on whats causing the engine computer to trip itself into this protective state. When the vechile is in "limp mode" you cannot rev the engine much past about 2000rpm in gear, and there is very little engine power, even in neutral with your foot flat to the floor, you will only get about 3000rpm.
Simply swtiching the ignition off and then starting the vehicle again, resets the vehicle out of "limp mode" until the problem occurs again and so on....

The usual course of action then sees the poor unsuspecting punter down the nissan dealership asking them to find the problem where they come back and say "you need a new fuel pump and/or fuel rail, that will be $5000-7000 please sir"

Is any of this sounding familiar yet??? Well regardless, its time this BS from nissan stopped. For starters, a fuel rail (metal cylinder) doesnt just stop working, its a piece of metal ffs!. What the problem most likely is, is the fuel pressure sensor that screws into the end of it, and sends data to the ECU!! (or PCM they call it nowadays) Thing is, NISSAN ONLY SELLS THE FUEL RAIL AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY FOR $1000!!!!
Then theres the fuel pump, $4500 worth of high tech pumping technology that delivers 28,000psi of fuel presure to the fuel rail and injectors. Again, if your navara can happily operate for hours on end making great power, running like dream, chances are theres nothing wrong with you fuel pump, more likely to be somthing like a presure relief valve or fuel pressure regulator that comes with the fuel pump thats giving us dramas with intermittant problems yeah??? Thankfully NISSAN DO SELL THESE seperately for just under $400 last i called.

Now, after talking to a few people, it seems that YOU CAN GET a fuel pressure sensor on its own, just have to ask the right people who know where to get them OUTSIDE nissan, afterall the sensors are all made OEM by companies like bosch, seimens and denzo etc, in fact the whole common rail system is supplied by these companies.

It also turns out that there can many causes such as dirty fuel inc water etc, oil from the turbo on intake map sensor, corroded/poor connections and earths etc, that play havoc on these sensors and cause you ECU to trip out and go into limp mode besides just faulty sensors so check all of the easy stuff like this first, change you fuel filter, check for air leaks and fuel leaks neatral/park transmission switch etc.

Now im at a point where ive gone thru all this and here is my problem.
The car goes into limp mode when i leave it idle for more than about 30secs. I go to drive off and bingo, no power, no engine check light, no error codes logged in diagnostics (from the dealer). Apart from this, the car performs flawlessly non stop, drove 1200kms the other day without skipping a beat until i stopped at the servo and let it idle for 30 sec again same thing. So im thinking that at very low rpm`s, its tripping out on low or possibly high fuel pressure due to a faulty sensor or perhaps the regulator not controlling the pressure properly. I mean what else could it be???? everything else works...

So my next move is to order a fuel pressure sensor from a diesel shop that tells me they can get them, whack it in and see how i go. Failing that, im going to swap out the pressure regulator and then see what happens. I have a very strong feeling one of these things will fix my problem and so i will share the results with you so hopefully no more people will get ripped off.

end rant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Pj ?
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Shift_lurker

I have had the same issue, but it has only happened about 3 times in 90,000km. So to try and get a Nissan dealer to locate the problem would be pointless. I just turn of the ignition and start again. If anyone finaly works out what is causing it I'm we would all like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 AM
Shift_Fanatic

common problem is the turbo boost contoller failing.

when it does it does it blow any clouds of smoke?
other wise fuel pressure sensor.
also try reseting fuel pressure data. sometimes they forget to do it when it serviced and that causes a few problems.

yes they change fual rail when changing injectors. i'm told that its a safty thing due to the high pressure in the rail.

any idea of boost level or EGT's when the fault is occuring?

'04 D22 Navara ZD30 3 litre diesel power
EGR and butterfly mod, catch can, extra rear spring leaf, to muddy to clean!
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

mate, there is no boost when its idling, and i would expect that the EGT is very low in this state aswell, over boost only occurs under load. The problem doesnt occur at all (in my car) when driving around, only idling for 30sec or more. Spoke with the actual nissan mechanic who worked on my car today and it turns out that there WAS an error code in the ECU, P0069 i think eh said, excessive fuel pressure is what it meant tho... so my theory is getting closer.

Denso make the whole common rail system in the navara, pump, injectors, sensors, rail, even the ECU i believe, and they also make it in the landcruiser etc... so im wondering if there are interchangable parts we can use... like ordering the sensor thru toyota instead...? id bet the hilux uses similar/same denso parts aswell. Once i find out the denso part numbers, ill post them here so people can order them direct instead of a new fuel rail thru nissan...

Last edited by groper; 07-13-2009 at 04:01 AM.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Shift_Fanatic

i thought those produced a couple of lb's of boost at idle?

did he reset the fuel data while he was at it?

'04 D22 Navara ZD30 3 litre diesel power
EGR and butterfly mod, catch can, extra rear spring leaf, to muddy to clean!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

All the costs im seeing in posts lately makes me think that after I pay my insurance next month, I will buy some more insurance, in the way of an extended factory warranty.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Shift_Newbie

Look at extended warranty fine print its pretty much a useless buy.
I wish D40 made boost at idle would mean we wouldn have turbo lag til we get up to 1500-2000pm.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

bloody best thread i have read.
i agree to to the boost at idle, the lagg pisses me off, a bloody datsun can take off quicker than my TD40.
I only get limp mode when i rev high, usually overtaking in 2nd or 3rd, then it cuts out my engine. its FN ANNOYING when ur on a highway in traffic and WHAMMO ur car just stalls. its an accident waiting to happen. My old man once drove my car, and he came back and said ur car has serious problems, i drove home (10kms) at 20-30kms/ph. i laughed and said yeah u triggered the safety in the ecu... you just had to restart engine..

But look, sometimes you neeed to have that extra grunt to take off and/or overtake. i cant stand that limp mode, i would love to have it disconnected or removed all together..

STX 07 TD 6 Speed 4x4 DC, 17 inch 6 spoke Nissans with Cooper ATR, WARN winch with Nissan bar, Drive lights, Snorkel, Rear bars with hard cover, Ladder racks, 35% Tint, Door mouldings, Alloy scuff plates, YAESU 857-D UHF/VHF, Chrome Grille. Plenty more coming.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had mine go into limp mode several times BUT only when I was running a tuning chip and I had turned it up to high , Like Tweek'e said over fueling sounds like the problem, once I was able to install a new fuel filter and the engine ran without me having re-set the fuel curve 2000km later it started to play up , pulled over and re-set the curve on the side of the road 5mins later all was well again and never missed a beat since then

Try this before you buy any parts

To clear the codes from your ECM do as follows

How to Set Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic Results)
1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MI starts
blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

How to Erase Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic Results)
1. Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).
Mode II (Self-diagnostic Results)" .
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
The emission-related diagnostic information has been erased from the backup memory in the ECM.
3. Fully release the accelerator pedal, and confirm the DTC 0000 is displayed.

or in short
Ign on count to 3
full on and off throttle 5 times within 5 sec's
count to 7 hold throttle down for 10 or so seconds
wait for the ECM light to flash let go of throttle and your in count the codes after you have written them down or fell you don’t need any codes just hold the throttle down until you see the ECM pattern change to ten fast flashes twice and then ten slow flashes and there you have one reset ECM

Cheers Martin
06 STX TD 6sp with just a few extras
Love my old Bevel Ducati's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin from Downunder For This Useful Post:
gordonj (08-04-2012), Orrsum (12-17-2009)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Navara - International

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.