Why do our trucks take so long to warm up? - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you should not deviate from an oem spec fluid. was it an independent shop that advised a heavier weight tranny fluid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ochsbeatdown
nope, was the stealership back when it was under warrenty back in the day. ill have to ask pops what/why the reasoning was to do it, but all i remember is he told me winter might be rough at startup shifting bc of the thicker fluid

2001 Nissan Frontier XE 5-spd
-Kenwood KDC MP732 headunit with iPod adapter
-Alpine SPS-17C2 6.5 inch door speakers
-
Blaupunkt Thb 200A sub
-Truxedo Truxport Tonneau Cover

Rutgers University '09
Monmouth University '11
#23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,518 Times in 1,135 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryp58 View Post
If you've got a thermostat in your vehicle, any vehicle, and it's operating correctly, then you shouldn't be using the radiator until the coolant in the engine reaches operating temperature.
Absolutley. The coolant circulates within the engine block until the thermostat starts opening to allow it to flow into and out of the radiator. It normally flows from the thermostat housing to the upper radiator hose. It them travels down the radiator tubes where it is cooled. The bottom hose returns it to the engine block. Some vehicles use cross flow radiators but the same cooling principles apply. The coolant just flows sideways instead of downward.

HowStuffWorks "How Car Cooling Systems Work"

#24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Shift_Fanatic

if i remember correctly the 2nd gen run off a cold start map not so sure of first gens. but i believe it has to do with block size and material that determines your warm up time like my moms pathfinder heats way faster than my truck she's got the 3.3l my dad's silverado has the 7.4l 454 takes like 30 min if it's below freezing takes like an hr

SILVER 05 Nismo Crew Cab
STILLEN High-Flow Intake, yellow fogs
PRG leveling kit
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 286/75/r16
Grizzly locker (aka eaton no-spin)
Softtopper soft top canopy
need new rear bumper
#25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Check your thermostat. The fist gen has no special electronic gadgets that I know of for cooling the engine.

The thermostat stays closed (or should) till it's gets hot enough to open. If the termostat is malfunctioning then replace it.

But all in all I am very happy with the truck warming up. Like I said before I get luke warm air blowing out in about 1 mile down the road. Warm air by 2 miles.

I also have an e-fan. But that should not matter because the thermostat controls when the liquid gets sent to the radiator for cooling. However the e-fan makes the truck quieter.

2003 silver CC LB V6 SE non-s, leather, SPAL e-fan controller, nismo wheels, bed extender, alarm, e-fan, Nismo CAI, sunroof, nerf bars, knock sensor mod, interior courtesy lights, Rockford Fosgate Audio, oem trailer harness, Nismo CAT-Back, *My Best truck mod* children seats in rear.

My Write ups - e-fan, Nismo - CAI,Disable auto AC w/defrost,Engine Timing,How to work your 4x4,Throttle Body

Good Links -
Distributor Bearing Fix, Nissan Frontier Specs All Years,Intake Manifold Removal/ VG33E Top Engine tear down
Factory Service Manuals
#26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to NissanTy
i think my thermostat is ok, i used to blame my CAI but i just think its the engine taking forever to get to operating temp. in cold weather it take a while to warm up and it cools down quickly, maybe its the iron block who knows?

2004 XE KC V6 4X4
#27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You cannot compare a small 4-cylinder warm-up time to a V6. Especially when the V6 in consideration is a Nissan VG which weighs almost as much as a small block Chevy V8. That is a lot of material to heat up. Combine that with the fact that the displacement is so small (hence smaller explosions to heat the cylinders) and it will just take longer to completely warm up.

That being said, as mentioned above a malfunctioning (stuck open) thermostat will cause the warm up times to increase substantially. I had a bad T-stat in an old Dodge I had that it would take 15 minutes to warm up. After the T-stat replacement it took all of 3 minutes...

The Sleeper: Waking up at a trailhead near YOU!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/
It has more mods than I can count or fit on this page. Most of you have a long way to go to catch up... LOL
#28 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,518 Times in 1,135 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyOneDR View Post
You cannot compare a small 4-cylinder warm-up time to a V6. Especially when the V6 in consideration is a Nissan VG which weighs almost as much as a small block Chevy V8. That is a lot of material to heat up. Combine that with the fact that the displacement is so small (hence smaller explosions to heat the cylinders) and it will just take longer to completely warm up.

That being said, as mentioned above a malfunctioning (stuck open) thermostat will cause the warm up times to increase substantially. I had a bad T-stat in an old Dodge I had that it would take 15 minutes to warm up. After the T-stat replacement it took all of 3 minutes...
In my experience, the warm up time is about the same. I've owned two Hardbody trucks with the 2.4 L and I got heat at the same time I do in the V6 engines in my Maxima and Frontier.

#29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Shift_lurker

well in the town im in its about 40 degrees. and i get in start up and go and it take about 5-10 mins to warm up

02 supercharged 4x4, auto, 3 inch suspension, 2 kicker comp 12s, 1000watt amp, carpet bedliner, campershell.
#30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Shift_lurker

I have not had this problem I timed it yesterday in 20F temps and it took 4 1/2 minutes to warm up. I have a stick and keep the rpm a little over 2200 rpm

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.