Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Whine after timing belt change.

16K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Plan B 
#1 ·
I just did my timing belt, but after the truck warms up I get a whine at pretty much exactly 1000 rpm. I wasn't really impressed with the flopping noise the old belt made so I went for 13mm of deflection rather than 15. Is it possible It's just too tight? I did try using my stethoscope, but I can't pin the noise down to one location like I can a knock or worn bearing noise.

#2 ·
Could be an accessory belt whining, Should always mark the direction of your drive belts when you take them off, so they go back on turning the same direction. If you put them on backwards, they'll make noise since the rubber is being rubbed in the opposite direction.

Could also be an alternator bearing, or an idler pulley bearing. Best thing to do is start eliminating other components, pull of your a/c belt.. then the power steering, then the alternator. If it continues to make the noise, investigate further.

What motor do you have?

#3 ·
3.3 normally aspirated
The belts are new, along with the water pump, idler pulleys, thermostat, and oil seals.
While I usually do that (remove the acc belts) I have to get the engine nice and warm for the noise to show up. I'm worried about running it without the water pump and fan when the needle is already in the middle. I'll make sure to take the other two off though.

I may just rip it apart again as I always like to check for oil leaks and water leaks, but don't have much of a view of either with all the covers on. It would give some peace of mind.

#5 ·
I would say that if it was your timing belt you would hear it whine at start up. If you tightened a belt to tight and the bearings happen to be a bit loose to begin with then it may become more noticeable with the added belt tension.

#6 ·
I just had the timing belt done on my 95 VG30E Hardbody about 3k ago , and initially it whined a little as well. My buddy who is a Nissan tech says a lot of them will do that until the belt stretches a little depending on exactly where the tensioner is set.

I don't hear mine anymore.

#7 ·
Did you ever figure out what that noise was? I have the same exact problem right now.
After the shop changed the timing belt I been getting this whine when at a stop. So I took it in and they said it was most likely the acc belts, they replaced that, and it makes the same damn noise.

#9 ·
Stapler: Did you ever figure out what your problem was (know this is kinduva late bump...)?

I have pretty much the same issue right now. Slight whine above idle and only to about 1500-1700 RPM and only when warmed up.

Went back in and just sneaked off the top timing cover (so didn't have to break cooling system again), rotated engine twice from TDC and checked tension using an aerospace calibrated force gauge. It was about 0.51 (13mm) with 21 lbf (my gauge doesn't go to 22 lbf), so pretty much dead-nuts.

Put everything back and don't you know, it's a little worse! Based on the fact that I didn't disturb the timing belt, but DID remove and replace all the drive belts and put them back in not only different positions, but possibly facing the opposite way as they were, I am assuming it's one of them. (I know I should have marked them and put back the same...)

Next step would be to take everything off and run, putting back one at a time, but honestly, if it's definitely an accessory, I don't really care that much...

Were you able to exonerate your timing belt, or did that end up having an issue?

Look forward to your reply! (Or that of anyone else, with a similar...)

#13 ·
Thanks for your reply again, Stapler. My guess is that if your belt is too tight, it's just a LITTLE too tight and therefore there haven't been any consequences - I'm thinking perhaps I fall into the same category. Or, since I did check it again, perhaps the noise is simply as a result of a slightly different wear patter on the cogs? In any case, ima let it ride for now, as you did...

#14 ·
If anyone is still paying attention to this thread - as it turns out, my whine appears to be the power-steering pump. Strange that the noise seems to have gotten louder after the timing belt change, but it's also possible that I simply wasn't paying as close attention before. Funny how sound travels, but in any case - that's what my whine was...

#15 ·
May be one of the pulleys too.

#16 ·
It's possible that a belt was installed too-tight.

On my '98 Frontier (4-cylinder, no timing belt), I lost the power steering idler and the AC idler with 2 months at about 175K miles. These are sold as replacement pulleys these days (O'Reilly/Gates) so you don't have to press out and press in new bearings.

#17 ·
yep, just replaced my noisy idler pulleys around 185K (the PS tensioner pulley last weekend) and of course shortly after the actual PS pulley started getting noisy (the last remaining original pulley)

I'd say it's more of a "rough" sound than a "whine". Whining sounds are a common PS issue/symptom though, and not just in nissans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.