Well I'm stumped - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I'm stumped

Ok so first things, sorry if this is a repost. I'm just not even sure what to search to hopefully answer my question. I'm currently doing, well pretty much every maintenance check off as I have no clue when anything was even done and I've already put 30k miles on my frontier. Alright so to the point, I have a 01 XE 3.3L 4x4 Manual trans king cab. I'm under it checking my brake lines as it would seem one or two of mine are in not great shape. Well while underneath I discovered what I first thought was a bump stop of sorts, only I don't know if it is. I have one of both sides and it's on the frame right where the cab and bed meet. I'll try and post a picture, but does anyone know what this is or does? It's encased on all sides, minus top and bottom, in metal with a tab that sticks out away from the frame. I've looked all around it and it just looks like some sort of rubber block that is just dead weight. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2001 Frontier XE
3.3L 4x4 King Cab
Sunfire Yellow, Black fender flares
More mods to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
It's definately not stock, the only thing I can think of is they had some type of long leaf spring helper or something and that's the pad for it

I'm having a hard time looking at your body and frame lines

Do you have a super high body lift with that much frame below the body? Why is your bed and cab at different heights?

Do you have some type of riveted aluminum or stainless panels running across the sides in between the fender flares??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kevinjohnson3216; 05-19-2017 at 03:41 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 AM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
it looks like a whatch-a-ma-call-it
other wise known as a
thing-a-ma-jig

I have even hear it called a
thing-a-ma-bob
and a
whosy-whatsit (in some circles)

lol, you got me man, sorry I don't know either

Magnetic Black 2017 Frontier 4X4 SV CC

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I've never had, or even looked at, how step rails are hung. Could it be a "bumper" for a set of rock rails / step rails?

Jerry
2004 Frontier, King Cab, XE, 4-cyl, 5-spd, 4x1
K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Magnaflow SS CatBack Exhaust, Kumho Road Venture SAT 235/75-15, KYB Gas-Adjust Shocks, Pioneer AVH-P2400BT w/backup camera, Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau, Dupli-Color Bed Armor, Hellwig Rear 3/4" Anti-Sway Bar, eBay Fog Light Kit, Signaltone Dual Trumpet Air Horn, Rostra Cruise Control, Amsoil Transmission and Differential Oil, Mobil1 Crankcase Oil
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjohnson3216 View Post
It's definately not stock, the only thing I can think of is they had some type of long leaf spring helper or something and that's the pad for it

I'm having a hard time looking at your body and frame lines

Do you have a super high body lift with that much frame below the body? Why is your bed and cab at different heights?

Do you have some type of riveted aluminum or stainless panels running across the sides in between the fender flares??

So I've actually not measured the height and compared to stock. Yea there is some sort of flashy bling of some sort the runs along both sides from the rear of the front wheel flares to the end of the bed. As to the cab and bed bring different, I think that's my angle. They look to be the same to me. However I did put a helper spring on last night as it appears my leafs are not very well off right now. I have an add a leaf I bought but have not gotten around to putting it on, as I'm learning about all this extra maintenance outside of just an oil change (diff fluid, trans, power steering, etc.) and currently have been trying to get this thing ready to drive me 1000 miles or more likely 4000, so this truck is currently half taken apart right now. That may have an impact. I'll try to get a few better pics, just limited on space ATM.

Also I am nub at knowing mechanics, however I'm self taught, quick in learning, and have never had my repairs fail on me. Also I own every tool I would need shy of the heavy duty stuff. So any advise you see in pics or not would be taken with much appreciation

2001 Frontier XE
3.3L 4x4 King Cab
More mods to come
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:25 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
First pic shows me that you're missing the lower droop stop. Looks like it was either taken off or broke off. In stock form thats what your suspension should be either resting on or very close to. Without that you'll have a rough ride

Your sway bar bushing(not end link) is worn, I can see space between the bushing and the bracket. That will cause noise going over bumps while turning

Second to the last pic has some kind of second shackle looking thing. In between the u bolts and the shackle. That's not stock. Is it tight? Looks like a spring helper for extreme bottom outs because of the rubber roller up top, which would hit the frame before over extending the springs

Your springs are flat on the front side but that's pretty normal, as long as you have an arch on the rear side you should be okay

Last edited by kevinjohnson3216; 05-20-2017 at 11:29 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:42 AM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mystery part

I was under my truck today and I have the same thing. My truck is a stock 01 XE 2wd 4cyl. Let us know if you ever figure out what is.

2001 Frontier XE AT 2wd 4cyl
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjohnson3216 View Post
First pic shows me that you're missing the lower droop stop. Looks like it was either taken off or broke off. In stock form thats what your suspension should be either resting on or very close to. Without that you'll have a rough ride

Your sway bar bushing(not end link) is worn, I can see space between the bushing and the bracket. That will cause noise going over bumps while turning

Second to the last pic has some kind of second shackle looking thing. In between the u bolts and the shackle. That's not stock. Is it tight? Looks like a spring helper for extreme bottom outs because of the rubber roller up top, which would hit the frame before over extending the springs

Your springs are flat on the front side but that's pretty normal, as long as you have an arch on the rear side you should be okay

The droop I think has just worn off. The plate is there still. And the bar bushings I have on my to-do list and may solve (hoping) this awful noise I have whenever my wheels are cranked all the way to either side. And I just put those helper springs on before I took the pics, as to the shackle like object, I am unsure. I assumed it was stock, I'll have to double check. And without the helpers my back half of the springs was actually starting to go reverse arch (gas tank side) so I need to get that all done, just gotta tackle timing belt first also in the front suspension there is like a plastic bolt cap thing. What is that and where do I get them? Just from dealer? I'll post pic. But thank you for telling me that stuff also. I'll see if maybe there were (nerf?)step bars at some point.
If you look also at the castle nut on my LCA it looks like my cotter pin is gone. Nope, the "mechanic" at a certain BIG company-O decided to replace some castles, cotter pins, among leaving me without an oil pan plug. But some of the cotters he put in are way to small, so the nut has started to eat it and make it part of the threading.

2001 Frontier XE
3.3L 4x4 King Cab
More mods to come
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:21 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Plastic bolt cap thing, is your adjustable steering stop and is often the cause behind the horrible clunking noise at full turn.

Jerry
2004 Frontier, King Cab, XE, 4-cyl, 5-spd, 4x1
K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Magnaflow SS CatBack Exhaust, Kumho Road Venture SAT 235/75-15, KYB Gas-Adjust Shocks, Pioneer AVH-P2400BT w/backup camera, Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau, Dupli-Color Bed Armor, Hellwig Rear 3/4" Anti-Sway Bar, eBay Fog Light Kit, Signaltone Dual Trumpet Air Horn, Rostra Cruise Control, Amsoil Transmission and Differential Oil, Mobil1 Crankcase Oil
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Is there any way to get rid of it?

2001 Frontier XE
3.3L 4x4 King Cab
More mods to come

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.