Truck threw this code (P0328) - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Truck threw this code (P0328)

OK so my truck is hurt and I need some help. I have notice a dramatic decrease in fuel economy (don't worry that's not what I am posting about) I thought that it's just the hear here in AZ. It's been over 110F the last 28 or so days.

A couple of nights ago my ABS light came on after tuning my truck on, so I turned the truck off and then back on and the light went off. I drove fore a couple of days and then this morning at school my ABS light came on again; I turned it off and back on and the light remained off. I went to Autozone to buy some new spark plugs because she has over 71K miles and it's time for those things to come out. I asked the guy to run a diagnostic just for kicks and giggles. He found that in bank one code P0238 came up, funny thing is that the CKE didn't come on. Anyways P0328 is for the knock sensor and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem if so what did you do about it?

Another question i have is while I am replacing the knock sensor, is there anything else I should do?

Any help would be great!

Last edited by Hitman86; 08-23-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
P0328 Is A Knock Sensor Code And Light Wasn't On As It Retained Code In History But Had Not Seen Fault Again. Depending On Problem It May Have Thought It Saw Knocking and Retarded Timing And Dropping Power And Fuel Economy

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

0-60 video P4070007 - YouTube

OWNER BUILT REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER
OMF street-locked Nismo wheels, 456 GEARS
Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
#3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal
P0328 Is A Knock Sensor Code And Light Wasn't On As It Retained Code In History But Had Not Seen Fault Again. Depending On Problem It May Have Thought It Saw Knocking and Retarded Timing And Dropping Power And Fuel Economy
So am I to understand that your saying you don't think that the knock sensor is bad? The only question I have is wouldn't my bad fuel economy be an indicator of a bad knock sensor if it running more rich? It has dropped from 17.5-18.5mpg to less then 15.5mpg and this has been over the past few months. No driving habit changes, I was even using 89 and 91 octane, but have stopped since. I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, I just want to make sure I understand the thought process. I appreciate the quick response.

More on the code; It was 1 of 2 codes and the other was a pending code, also P0328, so the guy said that he cleard it that it would kick again becuase of the other code "pending".

Last edited by Hitman86; 08-23-2007 at 05:13 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

unless you have the S/C motor the knock sensor is not a major deal it is a major PITA to replace I have done it you can go the relocation route also by using a maxima wiring harness and just location the sensor some where else on the block.

with all that said go over to www.nissanoffroad.net and do some searching there is a lot of info on this subjet there.

2WD converted to 4X4 and SAS'ed

KE5MNY

Last edited by lmhin2004; 08-23-2007 at 05:38 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman86
So am I to understand that your saying you don't think that the knock sensor is bad? The only question I have is wouldn't my bad fuel economy be an indicator of a bad knock sensor if it running more rich? It has dropped from 17.5-18.5mpg to less then 15.5mpg and this has been over the past few months. No driving habit changes, I was even using 89 and 91 octane, but have stopped since. I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, I just want to make sure I understand the thought process. I appreciate the quick response.

More on the code; It was 1 of 2 codes and the other was a pending code, also P0238, so the guy said that he cleard it that it would kick again becuase of the other code "pending".
I didn't look up 238 I thought you were dislexic. 328 is knock sensor, circuit, sensor etc, this is where diag, comes in. if the ecu see knock lets say from a faulty sensor it retards timing to ward off detonation (knock). this causes fuel economy, and power to go down, nothing to do with rich or lean. check on what imhin posted for you from here

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal
I didn't look up 238 I thought you were dislexic. 328 is knock sensor, circuit, sensor etc, this is where diag, comes in. if the ecu see knock lets say from a faulty sensor it retards timing to ward off detonation (knock). this causes fuel economy, and power to go down, nothing to do with rich or lean. check on what imhin posted for you from here
No it's the knock sensor, I just put the wrong code down LOL i guess I am dislexic. I did read through the other forum and it made me confused. Even if the sensor is bad then it wouldn't really matter is what I am getting from that. I don't know maybe I am misunderstanding.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
If You Want To Guess, Educated Guess Is Knock Sensor As Most Of The Time Thats What We Find To Be The Problem. Iam Only Speaking From Jaguar Exp Though

#8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

There has got to be someone with this problem on this forum? Has anyone replaced the sensor?
#9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
There has got to be someone with this problem on this forum? Has anyone replaced the sensor?
Alright already, hit me up tommorrow and Ill ask friend of mine who just left Nissan as a shop foreman

#10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I did its a major PITA as I stated before its under the lower intake manifold passenger side the only reason I replced it was I had a coolant leak on the lower manifold and had to pull it other wise I would have not done it its not really needed unless you have the S/C motor this will not throw the CEL most of the early Xterras have this code stored defect from factory (good luck proving it) if you take the time and and reseach it there are at least 50 differant posts about this on several differant fourms try these

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html

www.nissan4wheelers.com

www.4x4parts.com

2WD converted to 4X4 and SAS'ed

KE5MNY

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > 1st Gen Hangout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.